Cop threatens woman over F*ck Bush Bumper Sticker

no1tovote4

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
Colorado
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3495709,00.html

Sticker stuck in cop's craw
He's subject of probe after coming unglued over bumper theme

By Brian D. Crecente, Rocky Mountain News
January 25, 2005

A Denver police sergeant is under investigation for allegedly threatening to arrest a woman Monday for displaying on her truck a derogatory bumper sticker about President Bush.

"He told her that this was a warning and that the next time he saw her truck, she was going to be arrested if she didn't remove the sticker," said Alinna Figueroa, 25, assistant manager of The UPS Store where the confrontation took place. "I couldn't believe it."

We had a bumber sticker on our truck that read "Photo raidar this" with a hand flipping the bird. My ex did get a few speeding tickets after he stuck on the window. Coincidence?

Sir Evil said:
Kind of reminds me when I used to stick Budweiser labels in place of an inspection sticker on my car, darn that got me a lot of tickets!

LOL. A friend of ours used to steal re-newal stickers off other people's license plates. I think he got caught once. Dumbass.

Rumor was those 'Calvin-pissing on (insert item)' stickers were a violation of 'decency/profanity' laws in SC...ppl were purported to have received tickets for them.

-=d=- said:
Rumor was those 'Calvin-pissing on (insert item)' stickers were a violation of 'decency/profanity' laws in SC...ppl were purported to have received tickets for them.

That is what I woulda thought.....

I always wonder why people would think it was okay to put F*ck (Insert anything at all here) bumper stickers on their car to begin with.

I don't need my 4 year old who is just beginning to read to ask me what F*ck (insert word) means right now. I would rather keep her innocent for just a few more days.

no1tovote4 said:
I always wonder why people would think it was okay to put F*ck (Insert anything at all here) bumper stickers on their car to begin with.

I don't need my 4 year old who is just beginning to read to ask me what F*ck (insert word) means right now. I would rather keep her innocent for just a few more days.

"Courteous" people are a Dying breed. People feel ANYTHING which is their 'right' is always the 'right' thing to do. Id est, Even things one has the legal authority to do may not be the 'right' things to do.

:)

-=d=- said:
"Courteous" people are a Dying breed. People feel ANYTHING which is their 'right' is always the 'right' thing to do. Id est, Even things one has the legal authority to do may not be the 'right' things to do.

:)

Exactly. While the cop clearly overstepped his bounds the woman clearly misunderstands the finer points of society and courteous behavior.

no1tovote4 said:
Exactly. While the cop clearly overstepped his bounds the woman clearly misunderstands the finer points of society and courteous behavior.

How did he overstep his bounds? He warned her with a threat of arrest, which I would assume is a possibility.

freeandfun1 said:
How did he overstep his bounds? He warned her with a threat of arrest, which I would assume is a possibility.

Well, it isn't a possibility. It is not illegal to have F*ck Bush stickers on your car. (At least not in CO is isn't.)

Where he overstepped his bounds was when he wrote down her license plates and threatened to come to her house and arrest her when she was not breaking any laws.

Cops have no more right to stalk you when you are not breaking the law than anyone else does. Had she been breaking the law it would be understandable, but he simply was threatening her because he disliked the bumper sticker not because she broke the law.

freeandfun1 said:
I misunderstood. I thought somebody else had said that the sticker WAS illegal.

Plus, he never said he was going to her home. He said "when he saw the truck again".

Actually he did. We are getting this on the news here with a vengeance. He said that if she came back there he would make her remove the stickers and arrest her, but also later went outside and wrote down her plate number then told her he would come to her home and arrest her. I didn't realize this story didn't go as far into the story as we are hearing here now.

no1tovote4 said:
Actually he did. We are getting this on the news here with a vengeance. He said that if she came back there he would make her remove the stickers and arrest her, but also later went outside and wrote down her plate number then told her he would come to her home and arrest her. I didn't realize this story didn't go as far into the story as we are hearing here now.

Yeah, here it is... From the story:

newspaper story said:
McCrimmon, who had followed the officer into the store, said Karasek wrote down the woman's license-plate number and then told her: "You take those bumper stickers off or I will come and find you and I will arrest you."

no1tovote4 said:

If bumber stickers are okay, why aren't license plates? In most states, if a plate offends, it won't be issued. Why then do bumper stickers not matter?

I read recently where a request for a "JOHN31" license plate was turned down by the state of Vermont because it would be "offensive" to some.....

Since we pay for our license plates, they can' claim separation of church and state.... right? (I know the state can take them at any time, but they can take your car too for certain violations)

freeandfun1 said:
If bumber stickers are okay, why aren't license plates? In most states, if a plate offends, it won't be issued. Why then do bumper stickers not matter?

I read recently where a request for a "JOHN31" license plate was turned down by the state of Vermont because it would be "offensive" to some.....

Since we pay for our license plates, they can' claim separation of church and state.... right? (I know the state can take them at any time, but they can take your car too for certain violations)

Actually this was parially ruled on recently by the SCOTUS. In a state where they have "Choose Life" plates they are now required to also include Pro-Choice plates or to take them off as choices.

I can see no reason why they could pick and choose other than there is a policy in place that is even distributed among all the plates that are issued. I assume somebody could sue and get them to allow the curse words on the plates.

no1tovote4 said:
Actually this was parially ruled on recently by the SCOTUS. In a state where they have "Choose Life" plates they are now required to also include Pro-Choice plates or to take them off as choices.

I can see no reason why they could pick and choose other than there is a policy in place that is even distributed among all the plates that are issued. I assume somebody could sue and get them to allow the curse words on the plates.

Here in Nevada the application for custom plates clearly says you cannot use words that are offensive (curse words) or any combination of letters that might be interpreted as curse words. And you have to explain in detail what the combination of letters, numbers or words means and why you want them.

They make it very difficult. But I did see one the other day that read:

XCLGRL

freeandfun1 said:
Here in Nevada the application for custom plates clearly says you cannot use words that are offensive (curse words) or any combination of letters that might be interpreted as curse words. And you have to explain in detail what the combination of letters, numbers or words means and why you want them.

They make it very difficult. But I did see one the other day that read:

XCLGRL

Took me a while to decipher this one. LOL.

I wonder if they used CLGRL if it would be allowed...

:smoke:

New Topics

Forum List

Back