Cool!!!

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Recycling hotel soap to save lives

Atlanta (CNN) -- That bar of soap you used once or twice during your last hotel stay might now be helping poor children fight disease.

Derreck Kayongo and his Atlanta-based Global Soap Project collect used hotel soap from across the United States. Instead of ending up in landfills, the soaps are cleaned and reprocessed for shipment to impoverished nations such as Haiti, Uganda, Kenya and Swaziland.

"I was shocked just to know how much (soap) at the end of the day was thrown away," Kayongo said. Each year, hundreds of millions of soap bars are discarded in North America alone. "Are we really throwing away that much soap at the expense of other people who don't have anything? It just doesn't sound right."

Recycling hotel soap to save lives - CNN.com

Atlanta (CNN) -- That bar of soap you used once or twice during your last hotel stay might now be helping poor children fight disease.

Derreck Kayongo and his Atlanta-based Global Soap Project collect used hotel soap from across the United States. Instead of ending up in landfills, the soaps are cleaned and reprocessed for shipment to impoverished nations such as Haiti, Uganda, Kenya and Swaziland.

"I was shocked just to know how much (soap) at the end of the day was thrown away," Kayongo said. Each year, hundreds of millions of soap bars are discarded in North America alone. "Are we really throwing away that much soap at the expense of other people who don't have anything? It just doesn't sound right."

Wonderful Idea!

We Americans don't know how good we have it here sometimes, and take things like soap, clean water, food that is safe to eat, etc. for granted.

Wow, this is a good story, and a great idea! Now when I see that small bar of soap in the next motel room I am in, I will think of this.
I wonder- I guess the soap must be opened and used, amirite??
Because I am assuming, if we didn't use the wrapped bars, the maids would just leave them for the next room occupants. So, maybe everyone should unwrap those little bars and at least run them under water, so they appear used :)
Because I always take my own body wash with me, I never use the little soaps the motels have.

:clap2::clap2:

Very cool! Great idea he came up with.

I travel quite a bit and know exactly what he is talking about. One thing i have done for years and years is to gather up all of the sundries in my room. I tote it all home (or ship it back depending on the weight) and when i have enough, i take it all to the food bank..... You would be amazed at how many HERE need soap and shampoo. Those things are not covered with food stamps.

One of the thinks I learned a while back is the items most needed at halfway houses and charities that provide people with a place to stay is basic toiletries: tooth paste, tooth brushes, soap and toilet paper.

Forum List

Back