Cool.... but Pie in the sky unless the get the price down

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
With their sleek shells providing both protection from the elements and an aerodynamic advantage over bicycles, human-powered velomobiles do offer an intriguing alternative to cars. Unfortunately, though, they can't go as fast as automobiles, meaning that they often still have to be ridden along the side of the road. Minneapolis-based inventor Rich Kronfield wants to change that, with his Raht Racer. It's an electric-assist velomobile that amplifies the rider's pedaling power, reportedly allowing them to move as fast as the cars around them. Raht Racer velomobile may let riders pedal as fast as a car

Guess this was at the State Fair, have to look for it next time

With their sleek shells providing both protection from the elements and an aerodynamic advantage over bicycles, human-powered velomobiles do offer an intriguing alternative to cars. Unfortunately, though, they can't go as fast as automobiles, meaning that they often still have to be ridden along the side of the road. Minneapolis-based inventor Rich Kronfield wants to change that, with his Raht Racer. It's an electric-assist velomobile that amplifies the rider's pedaling power, reportedly allowing them to move as fast as the cars around them. Raht Racer velomobile may let riders pedal as fast as a car

Guess this was at the State Fair, have to look for it next time

i thought electric and gasoline assisted bicycles were around for some time. I would think that adding anything to a human powered bicycle would add weight thus effort.

Lets be honest here - very few Americans are really going to want to pedal to work and I can see that the advantages will be lost very quickly if you are trying to get it to go as fast as a car.

No matter how awesome they get you cannot get more out of it than the energy the cyclist is putting in.

Lets be honest here - very few Americans are really going to want to pedal to work and I can see that the advantages will be lost very quickly if you are trying to get it to go as fast as a car.

No matter how awesome they get you cannot get more out of it than the energy the cyclist is putting in.
The pedaling isnt motivating it, its charging the battery. I dont see how thought they think they can sell a stripped down volt for Tesla price. Guy should sell the design to large co which can produce it for 10 grand then maybe thet've got something.

The pedaling isnt motivating it, its charging the battery. I dont see how thought they think they can sell a stripped down volt for Tesla price. Guy should sell the design to large co which can produce it for 10 grand then maybe thet've got something.
What the peddling is directly doing is irrelevant. You cannot get more energy out of peddling than the individual is putting in, period. By charging a battery over directly moving the vehicle you are actually getting LESS efficient because there is energy lost during each step of the process. I assume that design was implemented not because it works better but because directly moving the vehicle the resistance would not be consistent.

What the peddling is directly doing is irrelevant. You cannot get more energy out of peddling than the individual is putting in, period. By charging a battery over directly moving the vehicle you are actually getting LESS efficient because there is energy lost during each step of the process. I assume that design was implemented not because it works better but because directly moving the vehicle the resistance would not be consistent.

I don't think your getting it. It is not an "electric assisted pedal car"...even though oddly they introduce it that way. It is a small electric motor car, that you can pedal to recharge the battery. The pedal/chain is not hooked up to the powertrain...but a generator.
However your point is valid about the energy produced by pedalling. If, as it suggests, it takes 4-5 hours to charge the batteries to full by plugging into a 110 outlet - then you would have to pedal for hours on end to accomplish the same thing.
The funny part is the guy saying it reduces the carbon footprint...no it doesn't.

I don't think your getting it. It is not an "electric assisted pedal car"...even though oddly they introduce it that way. It is a small electric motor car, that you can pedal to recharge the battery. The pedal/chain is not hooked up to the powertrain...but a generator.
However your point is valid about the energy produced by pedalling. If, as it suggests, it takes 4-5 hours to charge the batteries to full by plugging into a 110 outlet - then you would have to pedal for hours on end to accomplish the same thing.
The funny part is the guy saying it reduces the carbon footprint...no it doesn't.
No, I understand what the product is. I was commenting on the idea that this might go anywhere. I don't think it will.

People are not going to want to pedal to get to work. Simple as that. if you are not doing any pedaling then what is the functional difference with this and a small electric scooter, people mover or some other electric mode of transportation? Nothing. If it is going to be as fast as a car then you are going to have to do a lot of pedaling to recharge that battery as well.

Forum List

Back