Cooking with Mr. P....Prime Rib Roast

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Prime Rib

If you think you may cook this please
read the post at the below link before you buy the roast.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=166073&postcount=33

Any questions, let me know.

Mr. P

Prime Rib

Serves 6 to 8
Let stand in frig. Uncovered 4-5 days. 3 is okay, 7 days max. Thinly trim the dry part off before going to step 1. This process is called dry aging and it makes a good quality roast FANTASTIC! The temperature in frig. should be 33 to max 38 degrees. If you have a spare frig. that would be ideal. I use the bottom of a broiler pan with a wire rack for the roast to sit on, that allows total air circulation.

1 (3-rib) standing rib roast (about 7 pounds), aged up to 1 week, set at room temperature for 1 hour, and tied with kitchen twine at both ends, twine running parallel to bone
Salt and ground black pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Heat large roasting pan over two burners set at medium-high heat until hot, about 4 minutes. Place roast in hot pan and cook on all sides until nicely browned and about 1/2 cup fat has rendered, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Remove roast from pan. Set wire rack in pan, then set roast on rack. Generously season with salt and pepper (on the fat side), Coat it well, you should have a layer of salt visible.

3. Place roast in oven and roast until meat registers 130 degrees (for medium-rare) on instant-read thermometer, 3 to 31/2 hours. Remove roast from oven and tent with foil. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout roast.

4. Remove twine and set roast on cutting board, rib bones at 90-degree angle to board. Carve, and serve immediately.

A few important Notes:
1. Try an purchase a roast with a nice outer layer of fat.

2. Remember to look for the most marbling possible. THIS IS A MUST!

Little marbling will produce very poor results (I promise) and the dry aging process is useless. In addition, for the most part, you will pay the same price per pound for a low quality "Choice" grade as you will for the top quality "Choice" grade. If you have to pay a few cents a lb. more for the top grade do it, you will be glad you did. Also, do not be fooled by meat markets claims they have a better grade of meat. This is not always true. There are only a handful of suppliers in the country and the run of the mill meet markets get their meat from the same folks as most groceries, they just charge more. Of course, this varies around the country so if you deal with a market you trust, go for it.

3. You will lose somewhere around 15% of the weight in the dry aging process.

4. I have found a two rib roast 5-5 1/2lbs will feed 3 easily sliced 1 ½" thick.

5. Be sure and let the roast rest under a foil tent for 20-30 mins.
Do not worry about cooling, the internal temp will actually rise by 10 degrees or more and cooking continues. Keep that in mind if you prefer Medium vs. Medium Rare. Lord I hope no one wants WELL DONE.

"Little marbling will produce very poor results (I promise)"

Amen, brother!!!!!!!

That nutbar wife of mine goes out and looks for the leanest piece of meat she can find. She brings that crap home and expects me to be able to make it taste like something other than the sole off an Italian shoe. Worse, I try to explain the problem to her and it's a no-go. All she can think about is that "it has fewer calories". No shit. If you can't eat the stuff, you'll get fewer calories still.

I have absolutely forbidden the woman to ever buy another steak. I'll do it myself.

P.S. The woman also uses the smoke alarm as a timer.

Nice recipe Mr P. Just a few notes, I would suggest using only kosher salt, table salt contains iodine and actually gives a chemical taste. When using the thermometer make sure (if not a digital one) that it is caliberated correctly and to register the temperature at the center of the roast to achieve the best reading. Usually thermometers have a adjustable nut at the base of the readout where the stem connects, place the stem into ice water and adjust to 32 degrees. Boiling water also works but depending on elevation water boils at different temperatures.

Another method of browning the exterior that I have done is to score the outside fat layer in a diamond pattern about 1/4 inch deep, rub vodka on the outside and let stand for 20 minutes, then season with the salt and pepper. Place into a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat. The vodka denatures the proteins and allows for good heat penetration.

Merlin1047 said:
"Little marbling will produce very poor results (I promise)"

Amen, brother!!!!!!!

That nutbar wife of mine goes out and looks for the leanest piece of meat she can find. She brings that crap home and expects me to be able to make it taste like something other than the sole off an Italian shoe. Worse, I try to explain the problem to her and it's a no-go. All she can think about is that "it has fewer calories". No shit. If you can't eat the stuff, you'll get fewer calories still.

I have absolutely forbidden the woman to ever buy another steak. I'll do it myself.

P.S. The woman also uses the smoke alarm as a timer.

I feel you pain Merlin!

MtnBiker said:
Nice recipe Mr P. Just a few notes, I would suggest using only kosher salt, table salt contains iodine and actually gives a chemical taste. When using the thermometer make sure (if not a digital one) that it is caliberated correctly and to register the temperature at the center of the roast to achieve the best reading. Usually thermometers have a adjustable nut at the base of the readout where the stem connects, place the stem into ice water and adjust to 32 degrees. Boiling water also works but depending on elevation water boils at different temperatures.....
All good points MtnBiker.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Very good!!!!
made it Friday, marbling is a must!!!
Way to go P!!!

I'm glad you gave it a try Joker!!!! THANKS!

A few questions for ya...

How long did you dry age the roast?
How was the flavor compared to past roasts?
How do you think it compared to Good restaurant Prime Rib?
How long did it take you to find the roast you decided to cook?
Was it difficult at all for you?
Would you recommend it to anyone?

Mr. P said:
I'm glad you gave it a try Joker!!!! THANKS!

A few questions for ya...

How long did you dry age the roast?
How was the flavor compared to past roasts?
How do you think it compared to Good restaurant Prime Rib?
How long did it take you to find the roast you decided to cook?
Was it difficult at all for you?
Would you recommend it to anyone?

3 days

Wonderfull

I liked it better, I always find resaurant Prime Rib a little bland

I was looking for a moderately abundant one so I had to go a few places.
Ended up going to the butcher!

Naa! I'm like a grand master cook or something though!

Everyone on this board should try it. I gave the recipe to my Mom.

Holidays are coming, HINT HINT!!! I think this could be a good Christmas meal!!!

Thanks for the info. Joker!!!!! Go 4-5 days next time on the dry ageing if you can stand the wait!
I think you'll notice a difference. I'm glad you liked it!

janeeng....the Turkey recipe is posted...And it's GREAT!

Forum List

Back