Cooking with Mr. P....Cuban Black Bean Soup.

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Cuban Black Bean Soup

1 pound dried black beans
10 C water
1 t salt
1 large green bell pepper, cut in half
2/3 C peanut oil or salad oil
1 large yellow onion peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small green HOT pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
3 t salt or to taste
½ t fresh ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
¼ t whole cumin seed
1 t sugar
2 ½ T red wine vinegar
2 ½ T olive oil

Rinse beans and soak in 10 C water overnight, with 1 t salt, and the bell pepper.

In a large heavy-bottom soup kettle (or large pot), bring the beans soaking water, and
Pepper to a boil. Simmer until tender, about 45 min. Remove the green pepper
pieces and discard.

Heat the peanut or salad oil in a deep frying pan or heavy saucepan.
Sauté the onion, garlic, and green HOT pepper until soft.
Remove 2 ½ C of the bean broth and add it to the frying pan.
Simmer this mixture for 10 min. Strain the onions, garlic, and green Hot pepper
from the broth and discard. Add the seasoned broth to the soup pot. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, cumin, and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 1 ½ hours, or until it thickens. You may have to add more water if too much liquid cooks away.

Before serving...Add the vinegar and olive oil. Mix well.

Of course, I have NOTES:

1. I do not use the bell pepper. I just never found it added much.
2. I had the idea that reserving the sautéed onion etc..and adding it back to the pot would be good...ahhhh...I no longer do that. It overpowers the taste.
3. I use salad oil, not because I like it better but because I just never bought any peanut oil for this recipe, it may be better.
4. I have used jalapeno pepper instead of Hot green pepper. I do not think it is near as good as the Hot green is. The jalapeno flavor is just too distinctive it interferes with the blended flavors of the onion, garlic etc. The Hot green simply adds the subtle/mild heat without interfering with taste. To enhance the Hot pepper effect do not remove the seeds.
5. I like to add fresh chopped yellow or white onion and a nice dollop of sour cream to my bowel. Chopped green onions are good too. Additional salt to taste really enhances the flavors.
6. Be sure and remove the bay leaf before serving.
7. Keep the beans covered with liquid. If you find it too soupy, not thick done, just uncover and let the excess evaporate...works every time.

Mr. P

Mr. P - While we're on Cuban food - got a receipe for an authentic Cuban Sandwich?

Nope, that I can do with my eyes closed, but haven't had a good Cuban Sandwich since last I was in Miami.

Sure does sound like it - now to find some good old cuban bread - the other stuff just doesn't cut it!

Forum List

Back