Convicted Murderer Nominated for Police Board

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
Bing nominates convicted murderer for police board

George Hunter / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Some police officers are furious that Mayor Dave Bing wants to nominate a convicted murderer to serve on a board that metes out discipline to cops and sets department policy.

Others argue Raphael B. Johnson, who served 12 years in prison for second-degree murder and is now a motivational speaker, is an inspiration and would be a good fit for the unpaid, four-member Board of Police Commissioners.

Hahaha. How screwed up is Detroit? The mayor thinks it is a good idea to put a convicted murderer on board of police commissioners. Is this supposed to be an insult to the police or what? Looks like Bing learned a lot from Kirkpatrick. Good grief, a stint in jail is just part of the resume, right?

All large cities stink, Detroit just stinks worse than most.

While that may be true, do you think it really covers the unprecedented incompetence and moral decay shown by Detroit leadership in the last decade or two? I used to follow the Detroit Times but it became too uncomfortable to read, almost like Fawlty Towers on steroids.

Its the acceptance of incompetance and corruption that is really scary. Obviously the more you lower standards the worse the quality of people you have in positions of authority. I hate to think there are no better options in Detroit but...

Detroit -- Some police officers are furious that Mayor Dave Bing wants to nominate a convicted murderer to serve on a board that metes out discipline to cops and sets department policy.

Others argue Raphael B. Johnson, who served 12 years in prison for second-degree murder and is now a motivational speaker, is an inspiration and would be a good fit for the unpaid, four-member Board of Police Commissioners.

Hahaha. How screwed up is Detroit? The mayor thinks it is a good idea to put a convicted murderer on board of police commissioners. Is this supposed to be an insult to the police or what? Looks like Bing learned a lot from Kirkpatrick. Good grief, a stint in jail is just part of the resume, right?

Does this mean I can put you onto the list of people who think that criminals are always criminals? Before dismissing this guy I would want to know exactly what he did, and what he has done since then. It seems that he has actually striven to be a good citizen since his conviction, so what if the murder he committed was the result of an act of self defense?

You are jumping to conclusions, and cops almost always do so, so I can ignore you, and them, and happily go back to my life.

stop_embarrassing_me_black_people_tshirt-p235217533666516112qm73_400.jpg

Does this mean I can put you onto the list of people who think that criminals are always criminals? Before dismissing this guy I would want to know exactly what he did, and what he has done since then. It seems that he has actually striven to be a good citizen since his conviction, so what if the murder he committed was the result of an act of self defense?

You are jumping to conclusions, and cops almost always do so, so I can ignore you, and them, and happily go back to my life.

Yes, I feel that a murder conviction deserves a lifetime veto from serving on a Board of Police Commissoners. Definitely.

As far as self defence as a motive? Not likely. It is more likely that the circumstances would show he deserved to be convicted of 1st degree murder. We'll see- details often come to light in these public cases.

Not to be an asshole about this, but self-defense is a defense to murder in Michigan. If that had been proved, he would not have been convicted. There might be a place on a citizens' review board for someone with a criminal record....but surely not for a murder charge.

I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing. I mean for god sake, it's freaking Detroit. It's the worst city EVER. Pripiyat, is safer than Detroit.

Detroit is a rough town, true. But it has heart and soul. It could be a much better place, given a chance. But just like Cleveland and Chicago and mebbe Boston, it is afflicted with corrupt pols. Not saying that's its only issue, but it dun help none.

I have a soft spot for the big, old northern cities.

Last edited:
Detroit is a rough town, true. But it has heart and soul. It could be a much better place, given a chance. But just like Cleveland and Chicago and mebbe Boston, it is afflicted with corrupt pols. Not saying that's its only issue, but it dun help none.

I have a soft spot for the big, old northern cities.

I find the Detroit phenomenon fascinating. It's almost like a template for a cities worst case scenario. A once cosmopoliton city, an American icon simply destroyed. It's ruins almost approach art.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back