Convert Plastic Into Oil - and Other Nobel Prize Worthy Innovations

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
In the following video, a scientist engineer has built a machine that converts plastic garbage--all kinds of plastic trash--back into oil that can be used as is or further refined into fuel or any other purpose suitable for petroleum products.

If this can be developed commercially, the benefits will be enormous. Usable oil returned to service, uncountable tons of waste plastic being returned to a usable product rather than clogging landfills all over the world, and most likely a reduction in CO2 as well if any of you are still worried about that.

And it makes one wonder how many more inventions and innovations are yet to be discovered out there that will 'save the world' while not imposing draconian restrictions and regulations on freedom, choices, options, and opportunities?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Lg_kvLaAM]YouTube - OW2.0:plastic to Oil Fantastic[/ame]

Last edited:
True. I first thought it was just one of those rigged things--a spoof--but haven't found anybody disputing it. I think it must be the real deal.

Or maybe he's only marketing it in the third world because it can only be done on a small scale?

I'm intrigued because it shows one way we can deal with serious issues without handing government of the world so much more authority and power that may not be in our best interests. And I'm always in favor of ways to protect and clean up the environment too.

Last edited:
And how the heck do you clean the melted plastic residue out of the gadget?

does it take more energy to make the "oil" than it produces?

All good questions. I hope some of our resident engineers and techies chime in soon to provide some insights on that.

Perhaps he is only sowing in 3rd world countries becuase it creates massive (scale wise) pollution and he could not sell it elsewhere?

True. I first thought it was just one of those rigged things--a spoof--but haven't found anybody disputing it. I think it must be the real deal.

It seems to me that since we make many of our plastics from petroleum products, this should be at least a good possibility. I think it would super if it really worked. We are so wasteful, and with the skyrocketing use of plastic bottles, I would personally love to see a good bit of our waste recycled into something that would be truly useful, not just a personal luxury.

Again that is a possibility USC, but then again but I thnk rather that it is so far on so small a scale that only people with very limitd oil needs could make good use of it.

And I'm with you Lizzie. Once I learned that even biodegradable plastic isn't really biodegradable, then I started thinking that there must be some way to efficiently recycle more of it. But this would be even better. Returning it to its original form to be used as energy IF it is in fact practical to do that.

I bet it takes more energy to convert the plastic to oil than the energy the oil produces in when used in your car.

See, that I don't know. I think I'll send the video to my son who is in the business though and get his thoughts on it. I'll let you know if he has any. :)

Okay, heard back from my son who is mechanical/petroleum engineer working in the refining end of the business. He watched the video in the OP and replies (emphasis is mine):

...watched the video. Actually it seems feasible to me. If you can melt the oil and boil off the light ends (which would be the hydrocarbons) it would make sense that you could cool and condense them. Its basically the same process that is used to process crude oil.

One thing that I did not see mentioned in the video was how much energy it took to melt the plastic to a point where it would separate the light ends (i.e. boil the plastic). And then the energy it takes to separate the condensed oil into its separate components. Once it is condensed, it would be comparable to refinery energy use at that point (to separate it into its components). The energy needed to melt the plastic would be "extra" needed energy and I suspect from a financial standpoint would be more costly then the oil you would collect from the plastic.

Interesting concept though :)

And that was the question some of us had. Would this be economically feasible?

I think if it could even be done at or near a break even basis though it might be worth it to have the recovered oil AND eliminate all those billions of plastic refuse going into landfills all over the world.

Also would it refine into heavier stuff like diesel like the guy said or just lighter end petro stuff like gas?

I suspect it is an energy loser though.

Also would it refine into heavier stuff like diesel like the guy said or just lighter end petro stuff like gas?

I suspect it is an energy loser though.

Maybe, but also maybe its a way to use all those solar generating plants and wind turbines that aren't making much of a dent in energy needs and devote THAT to extracting oil from plastic. :)

Kinda looks like a MR. fusion on the back of a time travelliing Delorean?

Better be careful with that anti technology line you're following. rdean will start calling you a Republican!:lol::lol::lol:

Oil companies will force the guy to sell the patent, then squash it. They make more money from the pumped stuff. They don't care about us. BP proved that.

My son's plant is making gasoline and diesel and also alternate fuels. For instance they have a contract with Tyson Foods to convert beef fat into usable fuel. The oil companies don't care HOW they make money any more than any other industry. If there's money in it and they're equipped to do it, they'll be happy to have the business.

But for that matter, I don't know that oil companies would necessarily need to be involved in this process at all though they are probably the people who would be best equipped to do it.

Oil companies can't force anyone to do anything they don't want to. However, if they did buy the patent it would actually make them more money to exploit it then not. Oil companies are driven by profit. It is extremely expensive to drill for oil. If you can extract oil economically from plastic refuse the oil companies will do it on a huge scale.

Remember the oil companies are beholden to their share holders. If there is profit to be made that is what they will pursue.

My initial thought was that it would use more fuel than it created. Haven't had the time to view the video yet, but proof of concept doesn't equal economic viability. The only way I see us generating the energy we need, while limiting pollution and GHGs, in the long term is to make fusion power a reality. We need something akin to the Space Race and earmark more money to that end. For more info:

ITER - the way to new energy or

Department of Energy - Fusion

My initial thought was that it would use more fuel than it created. Haven't had the time to view the video yet, but proof of concept doesn't equal economic viability. The only way I see us generating the energy we need, while limiting pollution and GHGs, in the long term is to make fusion power a reality. We need something akin to the Space Race and earmark more money to that end. For more info:

ITER - the way to new energy or

Department of Energy - Fusion

Something to say for that too Konradv, but I don't know that we need anything more than the need. Whenever there is a need, and you have a high tech, business friendly environment, the free market will always find some way to fill that need. That's how the free market works. How many gadgets and gizmos have been invented over the years that nobody thought would be economically significant at the time, but are now a routine part of our lives?

I have high hopes for this gizmo as a prototype of great things yet to come. :)

Forum List

Back