Conversion vs. Privacy

Phaedrus

May 4, 2006
So lets put the Gloves on neh? It has generally been asserted that proselytizing isn't harmful, and thus isn't objectionable beyond annoyance. Apparently some council or another has also said conversion is a fundamnetal religious right.

Lets first draw the distinction between proselytizing and conversion. People have an inherent right to convert to another religion. This is readily apparent in any free society. However, this doesn't answer the question, "is there a right to proselytize?"

IMHO, one that isn't practible and only exists because I'm somewhat of a Libertarian, the right to privacy precludes being advertised to on private property. Certainley in public spaces freedom speech allows you to say almost anything.

To further clarify, when you subscribe to something that advertises, you implicitly agree to be advertised to. This includes television, magazines etc. Using the example of Jehovah's witnesses, however, I would call what they do illegal.

Because I don't want to be inherently negative; I will also provide an example of how I believe people should be converted. People of faith should lead a good life, and associate themselves with people of different beliefs.

Crises of faith are inevitable in life, and when someone with different beliefs comes to you as a good friend, you offer your own view. Hopefully, this will resolve their issue regardless of whether they convert or not.

I don't believe in explicitly advertising religion or philosophy others. Expressing faith is a different matter, and I view the no-call registry as an example of what I'm saying. People have both a right to privacy, and freedom of religion.

Can you clarify your point for me? I'm not getting what you're objecting to and/or supportive of?

Reading a 3rd time I think you're mostly saying:

"People should not be allowed onto private property for the purpose of sharing their faith with strangers."

Something like that?

As long as door-to-door salesmen are legal, sharing faith door-to-door must be legal.

I wouldn't say door to door salesmen are legal either. Private property is private, you have no right to go on it without permission. You can proselytize in public rtwngAvngr, I'm talking about you coming to my house.

Phaedrus said:
I wouldn't say door to door salesmen are legal either. Private property is private, you have no right to go on it without permission. You can proselytize in public rtwngAvngr, I'm talking about you coming to my house.

I'll still prostelytyzeetyze. you can kick me out if you wish.

Phaedrus said:

Except door-to-door sales ARE legal. Did you know it's not a crime for me to walk down the street, see a house with an open front door, and enter said house uninvited?

:)

I'm not saying it isn't currently legal, I'm saying it should be illegal. You're violating my privacy without just cause.

Phaedrus said:

Tell em to leave, plug your ears, close your eyes.

You think you have an inherent right to go where you will? Lets hope the military bases don't open their doors when the Chinese are around...

I'm saying I shouldn't have to tell them to leave, just as I shouldn't have to tell an advertising company not to call me.

Phaedrus said:
I'm not saying it isn't currently legal, I'm saying it should be illegal. You're violating my privacy without just cause.

What about tolerance and idea exchange?

Phaedrus said:
I'm saying I shouldn't have to tell them to leave, just as I shoulnd't have to tell an advertising company not to call me.

ANd I shouldn't have to get up and turn off the TV cause some filthy shit might come on there that I dont want my kid to see.

dilloduck said:
ANd I shouldn't have to get up and turn off the TV cause some filthy shit might come on there that I dont want my kid to see.

you subscribed to that, read my post

rtwngAvngr said:
You can kick me out, but I say what I want.

I shouldn't have to kick you out, you have no right to be on my property. I know I'm sounding like a crazed old man, but I believe I'm making a valid point.

Forum List

Back