convention welfare

tpahl said:
http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=667

I am wondering what if any of the 24% that think that the democrats and republicans should recieve tax payer money for their conventions is on this board. if so i am curious what your reasons for your support of political welfare are.

Travis

Last I heard, I had the option of choosing yes or no on my tax return, or are we speaking of something else?

Kathianne said:
Last I heard, I had the option of choosing yes or no on my tax return, or are we speaking of something else?

Yes you have that choice, but in the end it is really a false choice. What happens is by checking that box you are allocating 3 dollars to go to the fund that is used to pay for the conventions as well as the welfare that goes directly to the candidates. It does not add to your taxes owed. Instead it just allocated 3 dollars from the US treasury. If they are not getting enough money to cover all the welfare that the parties want, then they simply change that 3 dollar ammount to a higher number to cover the cost. Since the check box has been instituted (after their first system was found unconstitutional if i remember correctly) the percent of people checking no has risen every year. No matter what the percentage is however the end result is the government will get however much money it wants so long as other people keep checking yes.

tpahl said:
Yes you have that choice, but in the end it is really a false choice. What happens is by checking that box you are allocating 3 dollars to go to the fund that is used to pay for the conventions as well as the welfare that goes directly to the candidates. It does not add to your taxes owed. Instead it just allocated 3 dollars from the US treasury. If they are not getting enough money to cover all the welfare that the parties want, then they simply change that 3 dollar ammount to a higher number to cover the cost. Since the check box has been instituted (after their first system was found unconstitutional if i remember correctly) the percent of people checking no has risen every year. No matter what the percentage is however the end result is the government will get however much money it wants so long as other people keep checking yes.

:shocked: Here's the problem. Most people do agree with this. You are arguing with ME, someone who leans Libertarian. That's the problem, you guys running things fail to come up with acceptable candidates OR entice us leaners to join you!

Kathianne said:
:shocked: Here's the problem. Most people do agree with this. You are arguing with ME, someone who leans Libertarian. That's the problem, you guys running things fail to come up with acceptable candidates OR entice us leaners to join you!

Again, that is great that you lean Libertarian. I am happy for you. But I do not see how that means that I am not supposed to speak with you. You asked about the check box implying that it was a choice of tax payers. I was not even really argueing with, but rather just explaining to you how the system is actually run. I do not understand why you interpret this as some type of hostile response. What would you suggest I say to you in response to your question?

Travis

Forum List

Back