Controversial Topic

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
...well controversial since it's coming from me. But just what does Israel do for the U.S.?

I'm not ant-Isreal but I am curious just why we need to risk our children's lives for Israel.

If we weren't so dependent on ME oil we wouldn't need to be concerned with Israel other than in a humanitarian way.

When the shit hits the fan and it likely will in a few weeks and Obama tells us that we will act in conjunction with out allies, we know that our kids will be the bulk of those "allies".

If you say they provide intlleigence info, I'm pretty sure that we can get that on our own.

But sticking to the question.

What doies Israel do for us?

And remember, I'm merely playing Devil's' Advocate here so don't jump all over my ass...just answer the question please.

Last edited:
I think a better question would be why Israel should exist in the first place. It's not just about us and Israel and the larger issue should be addressed.

I can name one reason: The Holocaust. Jews have been despised and murdered by the train load all throughout history and there's no reason to expect people's attitudes toward the Jew's have changed. Heck, just look at their neighbors for confirmation of that!

After what happened to them during the Hitler years, why SHOULDN'T they have a place where they can be safe and defend themselves? The rest of the world has a moral obligation to ensure that another Holocaust doesn't happen. As the Jew's themselves say, "Never again."

For those who are unsure about the existence of Israel or question what they can do for us...a question: Would you REALLY be content to sit and watch the wholesale slaughter of Israeli's live on CNN? Make no mistake, that's exactly what would happen if we withdrew our support for the Jewish state.

I think a better question would be why Israel should exist in the first place. It's not just about us and Israel and the larger issue should be addressed.

I can name one reason: The Holocaust. Jews have been despised and murdered by the train load all throughout history and there's no reason to expect people's attitudes toward the Jew's have changed. Heck, just look at their neighbors for confirmation of that!

After what happened to them during the Hitler years, why SHOULDN'T they have a place where they can be safe and defend themselves? The rest of the world has a moral obligation to ensure that another Holocaust doesn't happen. As the Jew's themselves say, "Never again."

For those who are unsure about the existence of Israel or question what they can do for us...a question: Would you REALLY be content to sit and watch the wholesale slaughter of Israeli's live on CNN? Make no mistake, that's exactly what would happen if we withdrew our support for the Jewish state.

True statement it is about what morally right.

• Banned

No issue there but again why should we risk American lives for Israel and what do we get in return that makes sacrificing our young worth it?

It's not a matter of whether we're content watching a slaughter. Actually some on the left would be okay with it.

Why do we always have to fight the world's battles? And please no, "because we are the strongest."

Their undying thanks does't bring back the lives of dead American youth/soldiers.

• Banned

True statement it is about what morally right.

Would you sacrifice your own son's or daughter's lives to be morally right? Sounds great on paper.

No issue there but again why should we risk American lives for Israel and what do we get in return that makes sacrificing our young worth it?

It's not a matter of whether we're content watching a slaughter. Actually some on the left would be okay with it.

Why do we always have to fight the world's battles? And please no, "because we are the strongest."

Their undying thanks does't bring back the lives of dead American youth/soldiers.

Morality requires a quid-pro-quo? We only do the right thing if someone is appropriately grateful and/or does something in return?

And this from the "values" right? :eusa_whistle:

• Banned

Morality requires a quid-pro-quo? We only do the right thing if someone is appropriately grateful and/or does something in return?

And this from the "values" right? :eusa_whistle:

Did I not say that I am playing Devil's advocate? So you'll put your own son's or daughter's life on the line tomorrow for Israel? Bearing in mind that there is no 100% proof Iran has a nuke. Yes or no? Easy question.

Last edited:
Would you sacrifice your own son's or daughter's lives to be morally right? Sounds great on paper.

This question isn't directed to me, but I want to answer it anyhow.

No, I would not REQUIRE my kids to do that, but would be proud of them if they chose to defend the right. Wouldn't you? If you're not willing to fight for what you believe, what good are you?

And, by the way, my son DID make that offer during the Balkan Wars. He was voluntarily in the Army in Germany at the time and was sitting on his duffle bag ready and willing to go into Kosovo. That his unit was taken out of the initial deployment at the last moment does not negate his willingness to go, nor does it negate the pride I felt in his commitment to doing what's right. Nobody forced him to enlist. He did that on his own.

And, he comes from a family which is not ashamed of defending the rights and freedom of this country and of others. Both his grandfathers served in WWII and his Dad served in Vietnam and so did both his uncles. On my wife's side of the family, he was the 33 member of the Armed Forces since WWII.

I don't know about your family, but this one will risk it all for what's right.

We have had a long history of alliance with France, England, and Isreal. Yet we told them to cease and desist during the Suez Canal Crisis in 1956. And President Eisenhower put some teeth into it with economic tools.

If Isreal is the aggressor, when there is not a clear threat to the existance of Isreal, then we have no obligation to support Isreal. Same goes for any nation that is our ally. If Isreal is defending itself against a threat to it's existance, then we will and should aid Isreal as we would any other ally.

...well controversial since it's coming from me. But just what does Israel do for the U.S.?

I'm not ant-Isreal but I am curious just why we need to risk our children's lives for Israel.

If we weren't so dependent on ME oil we wouldn't need to be concerned with Israel other than in a humanitarian way.

When the shit hits the fan and it likley will in a few weeks and Obama tells us that we will act in conjunction with out allies, we know that our kids will be the bulk of those "allies".

If you say they provide intlleigence info, I'm pretty sure that we can get that on our own.

And remember, I'm merely playing Devil's' Advocate here so don't jump all over my ass...just answer the question please.

When have we risked our childrens lives for Israel.

No, I would not REQUIRE my kids to do that, but would be proud of them if they chose to defend the right. Wouldn't you? If you're not willing to fight for what you believe, what good are you?

And, by the way, my son DID make that offer during the Balkan Wars. He was voluntarily in the Army in Germany at the time and was sitting on his duffle bag ready and willing to go into Kosovo. That his unit was taken out of the initial deployment at the last moment does not negate his willingness to go, nor does it negate the pride I felt in his commitment to doing what's right. Nobody forced him to enlist. He did that on his own.

And, he comes from a family which is not ashamed of defending the rights and freedom of this country and of others. Both his grandfathers served in WWII and his Dad served in Vietnam and so did both his uncles. On my wife's side of the family, he was the 33 member of the Armed Forces since WWII.

Wipe the spittle. Same hero and I served as well. What's right about helping Isra?l. If you look at their opponents side of the story a case could be made for moralistic values as well.

No one is forced to enlist, hasn't been that way for several decades.

When the shit hits the fan and it likley will in a few weeks and Obama tells us that we will act in conjunction with out allies, we know that our kids will be the bulk of those "allies".

Didn't say that we did but I did say that we may have to. Either way not what I asked. Maybe I should rehprase the question. Why should we potentially risk our youth's lives for Israel instead of what's in it for us?

Could it be as simple as politics?
How much financial support would a candidate lose by not explicitly supporting Israel?
Or am I just being cynical?

Didn't say that we did but I did say that we may have to. Either way not what I asked. Maybe I should rehprase the question. Why should we potentially risk our youth's lives for Israel instead of what's in it for us?

Your statement "I'm not ant-Isreal but I am curious just why we need to risk our children's lives for Israel. " implies that we have and/or will.

So you admit we haven't.

So what makes you think we will?

Your statement "I'm not ant-Isreal but I am curious just why we need to risk our children's lives for Israel. " implies that we have and/or will.

So you admit we haven't.

Keep diverting. Go with...we likely will. And if you want to keep playing games then don't bother replying. I said I was playing devil's advocate.

So you admit we haven't.

P.S. Where did I ever say that we "did" risk their lives?

Could it be as simple as politics?
How much financial support would a candidate lose by not explicitly supporting Israel?
Or am I just being cynical?

Not cynical at all. Good answer. At least you get the intent unlike the idiots that are intent on attacking me. They should attack the question with as much enthusiasm.

Forum List

Back