Controversial Norman Rockwell Painting Hangs Outside Oval Office

Is it appropriate for this Norman Rockwell painting to be hanging in the White House?

• Total voters
I like the fact that some old fogey like Norman Rockwell captured the spirit of those fighting the fight and did so in simple brushstrokes that captured (for example) the dignity of the little girl against the backdrop of the hateful word scrawled on a wall.

I actually do like that painting more and more each time I see it.
You like George Bush.......and!!...that painting!?!?......whubuhwhoo?....

There is no contradiction there. I bet President Bush likes that painting, too.
Too bad our country is in a state where if Bush hung that painting in the white house, he'd have been crucified.

It's a great painting and NR is a national treasure.

However I don't think it's appropriate to highlight such a time in our history in the WH.

We have far to many other things to concern ourselves with and at this point the painting is more appropriate for an activist to use.

I think that the painting hanging outside the Oval Office would be a great teachable moment for any guests (particularly national leaders) from other countries who are at the WH on official business. You wanna know what America is about? It's about overcoming adversity. It's about forming a more perfect Union just like the preamble to the Constitution states. They're not just nice-sounding words. We live by those words.

I see your point and it's a good one.

Thing is, most people look at that and see a black girl walking by grafitti that says ******.

and think; "oh what a brave child" which is true

what's missed is the 4 white men guarding her with thier lives. men, who when done, must go live with the same people they are protecting the girl from.

there's other symbolism that's missed.
notice everyone has clenched hands. That's a fear tell
Everyone is in lock step
The men are faceless

There's a lot going on in that painting that will be missed by the casual observer.
Most will see it as a reminder that at one time we were assholes to black people and that the Pres hasn't gotten over it yet.

Sorry, if you want to put out a symbol that will overcome adversity; Washington crossing the Delaware would be far better. or [can't recall the name] The one that shows the men freezing over a small camp fire.

you picked up on all that. Why wouldn't someone else?

I think that the painting hanging outside the Oval Office would be a great teachable moment for any guests (particularly national leaders) from other countries who are at the WH on official business. You wanna know what America is about? It's about overcoming adversity. It's about forming a more perfect Union just like the preamble to the Constitution states. They're not just nice-sounding words. We live by those words.

Thing is, most people look at that and see a black girl walking by grafitti that says ******.

what's missed is the 4 white men guarding her with thier lives. men, who when done, must go live with the same people they are protecting the girl from.

Everyone is in lock step
The men are faceless

There's a lot going on in that painting that will be missed by the casual observer.
Most will see it as a reminder that at one time we were assholes to black people and that the Pres hasn't gotten over it yet.

Sorry, if you want to put out a symbol that will overcome adversity; Washington crossing the Delaware would be far better. or [can't recall the name] The one that shows the men freezing over a small camp fire.

I studied it in art class in HS.

Plus I know the history of what occured.

a random person may not get it.

Look, I'm not saying take it down, it's big 0 fualt, he's a racists.

The WH is a representation of America, everything in it should represent America and should rep it at it's finest.

I think it is a wonderful painting depicting the struggle of the era from the perspective of a little girl. She is obviously nonthreatening to anyone yet requires guards

yeah, the guards were there because SHE was the danger :cuckoo:

pretty sure you misunderstood that post.

she was nonthreatening, yet required guards..not to protect others from her, but to protect her from others.

Everyone is in lock step
The men are faceless

I studied it in art class in HS.

Plus I know the history of what occured.

a random person may not get it.

Look, I'm not saying take it down, it's big 0 fualt, he's a racists.

The WH is a representation of America, everything in it should represent America and should rep it at it's finest.

Probably not to many 'random' people walking around near the Oval Office ;)

Yes, the White House is a representation of America. ALL of it. Good, bad, ugly. To deny a part of our past is to deny ourselves.

So, essentially, I disagree with you, but support your right to express your opinion.

The painting is "The Problem We All Live With." It is the most requested work at the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.

Note the racial epithet that is written on the wall behind the young girl.

"The Problem We All Live With" - The Truth About Rockwell's Painting

Video below

Norman Rockwell Civil Rights Painting, 'The Problem We All Live With', Hung Outside Oval Office (VIDEO)

Is it appropriate for this Norman Rockwell painting to be hanging in the White House? Why or why not?

This slaps right in the face of Barack Obama's perfectly pronounced speech on --"civil discourse." Because this painting with that word in it--incites people of all color--and the ONLY ones that are still using that word--are spoken from blacks to blacks. An elementary white kid reading that word out loud in the Oval office would probably get smacked across the room for it.

Last edited:
It's a great painting and NR is a national treasure.

However I don't think it's appropriate to highlight such a time in our history in the WH.

We have far to many other things to concern ourselves with and at this point the painting is more appropriate for an activist to use.

If you think about it, President Kennedy USED the power of the Presidency to get black kids INTO schools, using the Federal authorities significant power to accomplish it.

In June 1963, Alabama’s governor, George Wallace, tried to block two black students from entering the University of Alabama by standing in front of the registration building door. Kennedy used the army to let the two Blacks enroll in the school. President Kennedy used this situation to address civil rights as a "moral issue." He said: "It is as old as the scriptures and is as clear as the American Constitution. The heart of the question is whether all Americans are to be afforded equal rights and equal opportunities, whether we are going to treat our fellow Americans as we want to be treated. If an American, because his skin is dark, cannot eat lunch in a restaurant open to the public, if he cannot send his children to the best school available, if he cannot vote for the public officials who represent him, if, in short, he cannot enjoy the full and free life which all of us want, then who among us would be content to have the color of his skin changed and stand in his place? Who among us would then be content with the counsels of patience and delay?"
John F. Kennedy

Granted: the confrontation with Wallace over some college students is not exactly the same as the picture of that little girl, but the principle is the same.

President Obama is paying homage to the power of the Presidency as a force for justice in this realm. The tip of the hat appears to go to President Kennedy.

The White House is thus a perfectly good place to hang that picture. Or this one, perhaps?

AN214380.gif

Great point.

I like the fact that some old fogey like Norman Rockwell captured the spirit of those fighting the fight and did so in simple brushstrokes that captured (for example) the dignity of the little girl against the backdrop of the hateful word scrawled on a wall.

And I have absolutely no problem with it being hung up in the White House.
:clap2:

You like George Bush.......and!!...that painting!?!?......whubuhwhoo?....

There is no contradiction there. I bet President Bush likes that painting, too.
The only contradiction is between reality and toxicmedia's bigotry against conservatives.

The painting is "The Problem We All Live With." It is the most requested work at the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.

Video below

Norman Rockwell Civil Rights Painting, 'The Problem We All Live With', Hung Outside Oval Office (VIDEO)

Is it appropriate for this Norman Rockwell painting to be hanging in the White House? Why or why not?
Absolutely, it's an awesome picture and piece of Americana that should, nay MUST be preserved and displayed.

I have different tastes in art, never really cared for Rockwell, though I do respect his talent. As far as this picture, it is historical. I don't see anything wrong with it being in the White House.

Video below

Why wouldn't it be? That painting does more to highlight the evils of racial bigotry then virtually any other work from that time.

It's part of our history. Just like Huck Finn. Who would ever want it taken down? What's next? Are we going to airbrush out the pictures of dead soldiers at Gettyburg?

Video below

This slaps right in the face of Barack Obama's perfectly pronounced speech on --"civil discourse." Because this painting with that word in it--incites people of all color--and the ONLY ones that are still using that word--are spoken from blacks to blacks. An elementary white kid reading that word out loud in the Oval office would probably get smacked across the room for it.

Oh, bullshit.

Video below

no better palce to hang a painting of such a strong message than outside the office of the leader of the free world.
Kudos to whoever decided to put it there.

Obama decided it.

which one?.....

Sorry bout that,

1. In my opinion, which is always based on fact, indisputable *facts*.
2. Oh boy here we go, is what you're thinking.:eusa_hand:
3. Obama is telling the world, he's like the little girl, walking in a anglo mans world, while his enemies hurl tomatoes, in the form of *negative political attacks*, at him, while the CIA, the anglo dudes, protect him, while the whole world, is secretly calling him, ********, which I am not.
4. Its really a shame, this negro President, hasn't gotten over his racist view of himself, and the people in this Nation, and the world in general.:eusa_whistle:
5. If a person has a view he is being seen from racist eyes, when no one cares about race anymore, then what is really going on in his head, being the President, or maybe Salt Jones, is, they view themselves from the eyes who they *think* are looking at them in a racist way, which further ingrains them into the racist mindset.
6. *CWN* just gave this thread a dose of reality, while most posts here were all "I love this picture, and my PC mind is in full bloom", but then I came along and shook the fool out of everyone here, this is pure *CWN* genius!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:

Video below

Why wouldn't it be? That painting does more to highlight the evils of racial bigotry then virtually any other work from that time.

It's part of our history. Just like Huck Finn. Who would ever want it taken down? What's next? Are we going to airbrush out the pictures of dead soldiers at Gettyburg?

Well, to be fair, there's this..........

(CBS) Mark Twain defined a classic as "a book which people praise and don't read." And for years, the "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" has fit that category, removed from school reading lists across the country for the use of the "n" word.

Publishers Weekly reports that Twain Scholar Alan Gribben has partnered with NewSouth Books to release a version of "Huckleberry Finn" that replaces the "n" word with "slave." It also removes the word "injun."

The idea of a politically-correct version came to Gribben, 69, when he would give public readings of the work and would sub in the word "slave." The slur appears in the book 219 times.

"This is not an effort to render Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn colorblind," Gribben told Publishers Weekly. "Race matters in these books. It's a matter of how you express that in the 21st century."

Gibben is the head of the English department at Auburn University in Montgomery, Ala., and said he knows the version will create controversy.

Version of "Huckleberry Finn" to Remove "N" Word - CBS News

And then, there's this...........

AUGUSTA, Maine — More than 250 demonstrators crowded into the offices of the Maine Department of Labor on Friday morning to protest Gov. Paul LePage’s planned removal of a labor-themed mural from the building’s lobby.

The small lobby that houses the actual mural, however, was no match for the crowd, which instead was forced to line long stretches of the hallway to listen to speakers express their thoughts — ranging from confusion to dismay to outrage — at the Republican governor’s order.

“This mural belongs to the people, not the governor, and we want it to stay where it is,” Robert Shetterly, a Brooksville artist, told the crowd, which at times broke into anti-LePage chants including “Recall Paul!” and “Art in, Paul out!”

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/03/...nt-of-labor-offices-to-protest-mural-removal/

So..........editing Mark Twain and banning art that someone doesn't like has already occurred.

Forum List

Back