Controlling The Message Through Distraction

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Deficits? Torture. TARP? Stress tests. Stress test results? Auto bailouts? Auto bailouts? More torture pictures. Torture pictures? Bush! and so it goes....

Commentary » Blog Archive » Buy in Bulk!

Buy in Bulk!
JENNIFER RUBIN - 04.24.2009 - 3:30 PM
If not for the on-off interrogation show trial debacle, the biggest presidential misstep of the week would have been the laughable effort to nibble $100M out of the federal budget. Not only conservatives are laughing, as this report explains:

“You’re cherry-picking the base of the tree on stuff that is not innovative,” said Paul C. Light, a scholar of federal bureaucracy at New York University. “Purchasing in bulk? Wow, that’s a bold idea! Teleconferencing? Holy moly! None of this stuff is the kind of bold sweep you’re hoping Obama will bring to the management of government.”

Isabel V. Sawhill, a Clinton administration budget official who directs the Budgeting for National Priorities project at the Brookings Institution, said she feared the cuts would be “lampooned” on late-night talk shows.

“I’m not sure I thought it was a good step towards convincing people that he cares about fiscal responsibility,” she said.​

I’m not sure either. But this is what the Obama team is forced to resort to — silly symbolic efforts because of the trap they find themselves in, or rather, have put themselves in. They have created a massively irresponsible budget that will, over time, eat up more and more of the GDP and strain our ability to finance our debt. And the public, independent voters especially, are very nervous about it. Figuring that the public isn’t paying much attention to the number of zeroes, Obama throws out a number that used to sound like a lot of money — $100M. But the public is perhaps smarter than Obama reckons, and the administration’s critics aren’t playing along with the charade.

The result: everyone got a reminder of just how irresponsible the Obama fiscal policy is. Good thing for whomever thought this up that the news was swamped by the interrogation memo fiasco. Otherwise someone might be in trouble.

i don't know that it highlights how irresponsible his fiscal policy is, but it certainly indicates to me that a lot of what the current admin is going to be doing will be sybolic rather than substantive. in the abstract, $100MM is a lot of money, but in terms of the federal budget, it's like finding fifty cents in the sofa cushions.

to me it says there's no commitment to fiscal responsibility or saving money and big commitment to PR and getting reelected.

Let's try again without the ad hominems, strawmen and personal attacks. THAT is controlling the message through infraction points.:cool:

Did I miss something? Did someone have a post that was deleted?

i don't know that it highlights how irresponsible his fiscal policy is, but it certainly indicates to me that a lot of what the current admin is going to be doing will be sybolic rather than substantive. in the abstract, $100MM is a lot of money, but in terms of the federal budget, it's like finding fifty cents in the sofa cushions.

to me it says there's no commitment to fiscal responsibility or saving money and big commitment to PR and getting reelected.
The phrase 'blowing smoke' comes to mind.

How can you take the man seriously when he approves 8,000+ earmarks and spends a trillion dollars, then talks about saving 'maybe' 100 million by buying in bulk?

It's a giant dog & pony show.

I think the assumption of his, that people would just go, "Aha, he's doing SOMETHING to control spending, demonstrates his opinion of the American people. He may be onto something there, it worked for DavidS and we know President Obama won the election, so in general his opinion may be correct.

That though is an aside, what concerns me more is the attention deficit of so many and the way the old Clinton gang is manipulating issues. With the pictures to be released this week, behooves everyone to notice what is being pushed off of the front pages for the next 3-5 days.

I actually think trying to save "some" money is better than nothing. However, I'd guess half our deficit AFTER Obama's budget could be trimmed out of the bureaucracy. It's a self-perpetuating hydra.

If you want to see who has the REAL power in DC, look to the career bureaucrats. But don't fuck with them. Clinton did and look what happened to him. And that's all "Monica-gate" boils down to. Clinton fucked with Linda Tripp.

I think the assumption of his, that people would just go, "Aha, he's doing SOMETHING to control spending, demonstrates his opinion of the American people. He may be onto something there, it worked for DavidS and we know President Obama won the election, so in general his opinion may be correct.

That though is an aside, what concerns me more is the attention deficit of so many and the way the old Clinton gang is manipulating issues. With the pictures to be released this week, behooves everyone to notice what is being pushed off of the front pages for the next 3-5 days.

I agree in regard to the attention deficit. The sleight-of-hand is obvious if one only look. I don't believe that many people are that inherently stupid though. I think three-quarters of them suffer another type stupidity -- willful blindness.

I agree in regard to the attention deficit. The sleight-of-hand is obvious if one only look. I don't believe that many people are that inherently stupid though. I think three-quarters of them suffer another type stupidity -- willful blindness.

Actually, we agree. The 'attention' problem will only work for a bit, until people really start evaluating what is 'happening.' June/July would be my guess. I think most really wanted him to succeed, many wanted to give him a fair chance and still are waiting. But judgement will come, which is why he's trying to get 'national health care' done this week. Freaking unbelievable!

Agreed....100 million in savings is certainly very small change compared a 4 trillion dollar budget .....or even 8 billion in pork spending....

....but which number being thrown around today in the media appears LARGER to John Q. Public....100 or 8 or 4......?

Oblahma is a master of the sleight of hand...it's all smoke and mirrors...

Actually, we agree. The 'attention' problem will only work for a bit, until people really start evaluating what is 'happening.' June/July would be my guess. I think most really wanted him to succeed, many wanted to give him a fair chance and still are waiting. But judgement will come, which is why he's trying to get 'national health care' done this week. Freaking unbelievable!

that would describe me, even though i didn't vote for him, but after the traditional 100 dyas, all i'm seeing is style over substance, rhetoric over reality. i agree that saving even a little money is good, but i don't see any commitment there to a long term solution.

that would describe me, even though i didn't vote for him, but after the traditional 100 dyas, all i'm seeing is style over substance, rhetoric over reality. i agree that saving even a little money is good, but i don't see any commitment there to a long term solution.

The money allocated is real, at least in the sense that it will need to be paid back-someday. What is not real is anything that resembles actual success in bringing back the economy. In fact, the overwhelming success has been the injection of government into private industries, from firing executives, determining pay, insisting they take loans, calling which autos will be made and which won't. Oh, they are accomplishing a lot, while distracting the people with 'mini crisis' that go away after a few days. The whole release of pictures this week, will keep people from watching what the hell is going on with health care in Congress.

The money allocated is real, at least in the sense that it will need to be paid back-someday. What is not real is anything that resembles actual success in bringing back the economy. In fact, the overwhelming success has been the injection of government into private industries, from firing executives, determining pay, insisting they take loans, calling which autos will be made and which won't. Oh, they are accomplishing a lot, while distracting the people with 'mini crisis' that go away after a few days. The whole release of pictures this week, will keep people from watching what the hell is going on with health care in Congress.

There isn't enough money to pay for the entitlements we have, so obama wants to create another entitlement? Just peachy. What a guy.

SPEND US INTO OBLIVION OBLAHMA.... NO ONE IS WATCHING ANYWAY... :eusa_hand:

There isn't enough money to pay for the entitlements we have, so obama wants to create another entitlement? Just peachy. What a guy.

I agree. Obama need to raise taxes, or do major spending cuts in other programs if he wants to increase health care coverage.

At least Hillary was honest about it.. this cretin isn't

I agree. Obama need to raise taxes, or do major spending cuts in other programs if he wants to increase health care coverage.

he needs to do both if he is serious about health care reform.

he needs to do both if he is serious about health care reform.

ROFLMNAO...

So much of these problems could be solved if Americans simply had SOME general understanding of ARITHMETIC!

Single payer Health Care is not sustainable... PERIOD.

It is a PIPE DREAM that is CRUSHING THE ECONOMIES OF EVERY NATION WHICH IS OR HAS TRIED IT. There is NO Nation which has tried it wherein the quality of healthcare has RISEN... in EVERY CASE the quality of care has fallen and NO WHERE has Single Payer HC resulted in the least of the population receiving treatment equal to the wealthiest...

Medicare is not sustainable... HOW in the HELL do you come to conclude that something EXPONENTIALLY MORE STEEPED IN BUREAUCRACY HAS ANY HOPE OF DOING ANY BETTER?

Forum List

Back