Contraception - a discussion

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
The Catholic Church is opposed to contraception for moral reasons.

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when disease is spread?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?

Last edited:

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?
i find it much more interesting that the religious right pushes for abortion to become illegal, because life is sacred, while at the same time opposing universal health care.

its extremely hypocritical to say life is sacred when your willing to fight to protect an unborn life, but not willing to fight to protect people who have already been born.

when you force women to have children they may not want, in many cases they become dependent on the state for services such as medicaid, food stamp, welfare, the foster system, etc etc.

There isn't any but keep in mind that there is a section of the Catholic Church that believes suffering is an essential component in finding absolution. According to them that's all irrelevant because children born to those circumstances would have the opportunity to experience suffering and through it have a greater chance of finding God. Or so they say at least.

And I thought this was a thread to actually discuss contraception. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was another extreme political stunt.....

don't we pay federal dollars to teach boys and girls where babies come from? money pissed away.

Food and clean water are rare commodities??

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

• Banned
And I thought this was a thread to actually discuss contraception. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was another extreme political stunt.....

Go away. The questions asked and the respones above are not the product of a political stunt. But even you know that much.

But thanks so much for sharing.

Food and clean water are rare commodities??

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Not in this country they are not. The church is a global institution.... or have you missed the catholic charities commercials with the starving children in third world countries with no water, food, shelter or education?

Last edited:

There isn't any but keep in mind that there is a section of the Catholic Church that believes suffering is an essential component in finding absolution. According to them that's all irrelevant because children born to those circumstances would have the opportunity to experience suffering and through it have a greater chance of finding God. Or so they say at least.

lets help them lets gather up a few of those catholics who believe in suffering
beat them around a little bit help them find a place in heaven

oh I forgot silly me
they only believe in suffering if its somebody else

Last edited:
I am going to faint...someone catch me!

Wry Charter thanked me!

:)

The Following User Says Thank You to syrenn For This Useful Post:
Wry Catcher (Today)

Hold on. What country are you talking about? Food and water are scarce? Educational opportunity is non-existant? I know you're not talking about America. If you talking about another country than that's the country's problem, not the church's.

The Catholic are against contraceptives because they want as many members as they can get. It has nothing to do with morals.

lets help them lets gather up a few of those catholics who believe in suffering
beat them around a little bit help them find a place in heaven

oh I forgot silly me
they only believe in suffering if its somebody else

Well it's not ALL Catholics who believe that. Some disagree with that premise completely, but there is a section that holds that view. As far as contraception I defend the right of a church to determine and maintain the tenants of their faith without government intrusion. However, there are some times when a particular position, regardless of how well intentioned, actually results in a much bigger disaster. I think contraception is one of those issues BUT it should be up to that church to make that determination for themselves and not forced upon them.

Hold on. What country are you talking about? Food and water are scarce? Educational opportunity is non-existant? I know you're not talking about America. If you talking about another country than that's the country's problem, not the church's.

The Catholic are against contraceptives because they want as many members as they can get. It has nothing to do with morals.

Please see syreen's post above, it is clear, concise and convincing. Now, if that doesn't knock her off her chair I'll give up.

Personally, I'm a fan of contraception.

As far as your questions about the morality of other issues, I would bet the Church also views those as important.

However, when it comes to the soul and the physical being, in the Church's eyes, the soul trumps the former. And, they have always wanted more souls to watch over. Fill that basket, you know.

Not my view, either. But, I'm not the Church.

And, I have no interest in telling the Church what to do (as if they'd listen anyway); I just cast my 'vote' concerning the Church with my feet. But, as I am a big fan of the Constitution, I sure as hell don't want my government telling the Church or any other religious organization what is kosher to believe and what isn't.

If the Church believes that the soul is more important than the physical being, that is their prerogative.

(I won't be joining them or 'going back' anytime soon, though.)

Despite what the learned opinion of the medical professionals in the College of Bishops say, IUDs are not abortifacients.

Well since an abortifacient is a drug that would be correct, but to the point of whether it causes an abortion.....well that depends on your faith doesn't it? If you believe that a fertilized egg is a "human life" then the use of anything that prevents that egg from implanting would be considered an abortion. As the question of whether a fertilized egg is a "human life" is a matter of faith it becomes an argument between scientific definitions and religious definitions and at that point it's kind of a draw.

Just a question... If you can't afford the cost of contraception, how can you afford to raise a child? Maybe it's best to keep you pants zipped up and your hands to yourself.

Liberal hackery - a discussion

Liberal need almost no reason to get hysterical. Pick any topic and add the following:

Where is the (fill in with any subject) when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the benefit of (fill in with any subject) when disease is spread?

Where is the benefit of (fill in with any subject) when a women is the victim of domestic violence?

This has been "Lesson in Liberalism - the Universality of hysterical statements"

Forum List

Back