Continental Drift

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Powerman, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Who here believes in continental drift? You'll see where I'm going with this later. Just want to get a few people on record for this. This will most likely turn into a debate regarding evolution.

2. USViking

USViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I believe in it.

Not interested in arguing with the yahoos, though.

3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I believe that contintental drift, plate techtonics, or whatever else it may be called is a matter of fact, not belief.

There is a lot of evidence to support it. Scientists, using highly precise measuring technology, have measured drift between the continents from year to year. According to the article below, the continents are drifting apart at the same rate that your fingernails grow (about an inch a year).

http://www.wonderquest.com/AtlanticWidening.htm

4. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK so we have 2 on board for continental drift. That probably means that you believe that the universe is older than scripture would leave you to believe as well. So even in Noah's time the continents would be somewhat similar to where they are today.

Now to my point. Polar Bears and Kangaroos and other such animals....Does anyone here think that Noah bothered to travel all the way to the North Pole to pick up a couple of polar bears or to Australia to get a few Kangaroos for his boat?

The other question that must also be asked is plant life. How did the great flood not destroy all non-oceanic vegetation? Did Noah go to all ends of the earth to pick up seeds from every species of plant known to man? Doubtful.

The point is, if you can disprove the story of the flood which is a myth to most people with a brain then you can discredit Genesis and it's literal interpretation of creation.

5. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Actually, while I personally believe that Noah's story was symbolic only, to be completely accurate you must include the information that many major and minor religions that emerged from that area of the world contain a flood parable. One religion, not Christianity, contains a story of a man who loaded all of his worldly possession, including many farm animals, and his entire family onto a raft, and they were some of only a few survivors of the massive flood in this area that killed much of what was living in the area.

If I am not mistaken I believe that the geological record of the area supports the claim that there was a massive flood in the area that would have affected many of the different groups of people in a wide area.

Does it prove the Noah story? Nope...but it does demonstrate the possibility that at least some of what is written about in the Bible did happen...its just how the authors chose to record it, what "spin" they gave it, that varies.

6. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Gem I like you. You seem pretty educated on the matter. Here is a link that discusses some of what I talk about.

http://www.flood-myth.com/index.html

My point it that you can't take every word of the bible litereally. It's just silly to do so.

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Your statement implies that you take at least some of the bible literally. I am impressed that you are able to discern which parts are real, and which are not.

Would you please tell us which words are literally true, and which are symbolic or just outright lies? Please be sure to let us know how you arrived at your decisions.

8. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Actually I'm agnostic. My point is that sometimes the stories might be close or have some truth to them but in the big picture none of it is factual and can be used for a factual guidline. So in short I don't believe anything in the bible to be credible. It's all man written. If the bible were credible then we wouldn't need 4 gospels. If it were the word of God then 1 would suffice. Make sense?

9. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    So, if you are right, explain why there is a Bible. What is the point? The purpose?

10. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    And to expound on GZ's point, even learned atheists agree that the historical person Jesus existed. If you do not believe that Jesus was the Son of God, do you think He was a liar or insane?