Context Matters

What kinds of examples do you have where one side of the political aisle seems to willfully misunderstand another?

Limbaugh's "I hope Obama fails" is one of them. That's taken as Limbaugh saying he hopes America fails, when it was never anything other than Limbaugh's statement that the thinks that Obama's policies would be wrong for America so he hopes Obama can't do what Limbaugh thinks would be hurtful.

Here's another one which I learned from the NPR site. So yea NPR. I'm not always saying "Yea NPR" but this was a good example.

Obama Chooses Republicans' Words Carefully To Say They're Playing Politics : The Two-Way : NPR

In a Politico story that was posted late last evening, a "senior House Republican aide who requested anonymity to discuss the matter freely" is quoted as saying:

"Obama is on the ropes; why do we appear ready to hand him a win?"

There's a second part to that aide's quote, though:

"I just don't want to co-own the economy by having to tout that we passed a jobs bill that won't work or at least won't do enough."

So that's another example where people are thinking about what is best for America and honestly believe that Obama's plans don't address it ... but the words were spun to say that they were putting politics ahead of accomplishing good things.

What other examples have you seen? Either direction ....

Somehow We, The Peeps need to get beyond this THING where we're paying all of our leaders a lot of money to make certain that half of our government fails.

Fair taxes, a budget balanced by law and then build an economy that your kids can ride to the stars.

:smoke: It ain't rocket science, y'all.

What kinds of examples do you have where one side of the political aisle seems to willfully misunderstand another?

I'm sure the list is endless. One frequent target for deliberate distortion I just saw referenced again today was Pelosi's speech to county-level officials:

"We have to do this in partnership [across levels of government], and I wanted to bring up to date on where we see it from here. The final health care legislation that will soon be passed by Congress will deliver successful reform at the local level. It will offer paid for investments that will improve health care services and coverage for millions more Americans. It will make significant investments in innovation, prevention, wellness and offer robust support for public health infrastructure. It will dramatically expand investments into community health centers. That means a dramatic expansion in the number of patients community health centers can see and ultimately healthier communities. Our bill will significantly reduce uncompensated care for hospitals.

"You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention -- it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

Hate admitting it aloud, but that's a good example.

I disagree with your assessment of both of those quotes. Limbaugh saying he hopes Obama fails does equate to wanting the country to fail. maybe that's not what he meant, but it comes across that way. If Obama fails, then the country fails. Period.

Then there's the anonymous quote. Taking the whole quote in context doesn't help. Either way, the aid is saying that the GOP is not willing to help the Dems pass the bill. If they want to debate it, fine, but hat's not what the aid said.

It's not too hard to figure out the GOP's strategy. All one has to do is go back and read the quote from Mitch MConnell - "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

End of story.

Somehow We, The Peeps need to get beyond this THING where we're paying all of our leaders a lot of money to make certain that half of our government fails.

Fair taxes, a budget balanced by law and then build an economy that your kids can ride to the stars.

It ain't rocket science, y'all. :smoke:

Wow. :disbelief: Déjà vu!

With the current horrid state of affairs, O will be and should be a one term president. His failed policies and business inexperience are a couple of the reasons. There are a myriad of others also.

But the role of the republicans is to sharpen the democrats and the role of the democrats is to temper the republicans, not to undermine at all costs.

Both need to start considering my grandchildren a little more and think about raising campaign money a whole lot less.

Simple taxes = Fair taxes.

The time to end the corruption caused by our complicated tax code of favoritism is NOW.

With the current horrid state of affairs, O will be and should be a one term president. His failed policies and business inexperience are a couple of the reasons. There are a myriad of others also.

But the role of the republicans is to sharpen the democrats and the role of the democrats is to temper the republicans, not to undermine at all costs.

Both need to start considering my grandchildren a little more and think about raising campaign money a whole lot less.

Simple taxes = Fair taxes.

The time to end the corruption caused by our complicated tax code of favoritism is NOW.

I'm not confident in either party now. They're inept and devoid of anything that necessitates moving the country.

The whole quote should be provided, so that people can judge.

Of course the aid is saying that the GOP is not willing to help pass the bill. Because the bill is not a good one. That part of the quote should be included.

The GOP should not help Obama push the country off a cliff.

And no, wanting Obama to fail is not wanting America to fail. Did you want Bush to succeed with his plan to partially privatize social security? We on the right listened to what Obama had in mind for America. Unlike the people who went around with with a drug-like euphoric smile on their face chanting "hope and change", WE actually listened to the man.

Cap and trade? Bankrupt the coal industry? Take over 1/6th of the economy with no appreciation of the unintended consequences?

OF COURSE we wanted to stop what we knew Obama was planning.

Stopping Obama, or at least slowing him down = helping America not slide too far off the cliff while we wait for people to wake up out of whatever mass hypnosis they were under which allowed them to elect Obama.

Disagreeing with Obama and disagreeing with the Dems and disagreeing with you does not equal wanting America to fail.

It means that we have different ideas of what is needed for the success of America, and as Americans we have the right to express them.

And as intelligent human beings we can hope that the media and our President won't take our words out of context and present them in a manner which is 180 degrees from how we intended them.

But as we have seen over and over, this is not something we can expect from this President. Over and over he puts words into our mouths that we didn't say. Over and over he mischaracterizes the aims of conservatives.

I've never seen a politician speak so much. And I've never seen a politician so fond of straw men. As an American citizen, I think I have the right not to have my President so willfully misstate what I am saying and thinking and working for.

But since this President can't seem to help himself from misstating what I believe to further his own efforts to keep himself in office, that's just one more reason to hope he fails.

The hope and change drug fest is over. When even NPR can tell - sometimes - that Obama is spinning shamelessly that means that the country is close to being on the right track.

The role of the republicans is to sharpen the democrats, not to ensure failure. This is the spirit of compromise.

The two parties are supposed to bring balance to each other. Instead of gutting the regulations proposed by democrats that ensure things like food safety, clean water and breathable air, the republicans are supposed to bring manageability to the paperwork and common business sense to the overall picture, with an ideology of 'conserving' resources, because it is so true that, left to its own devices, human industry by it's very nature of focusing on feeding itself daily would foul the planet and waste the resources that our children deserve to have left to them.

The conservatives are supposed to be above the daily grind with an eye on conservation of resources and future economic development, carefully spending The Peoples resources on infrastructure, and they're failing just as miserably as the social democrats, whose job it is to carefully spend The Peoples resources on necessary but unprofitable things like primary education and healthcare for poor kids, which, if neglected, have their own economic ramifications.

Both are failing for the exact same reasons: Corruption & Money - including personal money, tax favoritism and blowing lobbyists for campaign money.

The role of the republicans is to sharpen the democrats, not to ensure failure. This is the spirit of compromise.

The two parties are supposed to bring balance to each other. Instead of gutting the regulations proposed by democrats that ensure things like food safety, clean water and breathable air, the republicans are supposed to bring manageability to the paperwork and common business sense to the overall picture, with an ideology of 'conserving' resources, because it is so true that, left to its own devices, human industry by it's very nature of focusing on feeding itself daily would foul the planet and waste the resources that our children deserve to have left to them.

The conservatives are supposed to be above the daily grind with an eye on conservation of resources and future economic development, carefully spending The Peoples resources on infrastructure, and they're failing just as miserably as the social democrats, whose job it is to carefully spend The Peoples resources on necessary but unprofitable things like primary education and healthcare for poor kids, which, if neglected, have their own economic ramifications.

Both are failing for the exact same reasons: Corruption & Money - including personal money, tax favoritism and blowing lobbyists for campaign money.

Good points. But this part gave me a bit of a chill:

the republicans are supposed to bring manageability to the paperwork and common business sense to the overall picture

Conservatives shouldn't just settle for the role of effectively managing bad programs after Democrats vote them in.

Just because Obama & Pelosi made a successful end run around the people's will in spite of so many people being against Obamacare that even Massachusetts voted Republican ... that doesn't mean we should have to be stuck with it.

Maybe we will be. Maybe it will survive the Supreme Court. Maybe enough people will quickly enough get used to the new perks. Maybe enough states will say, "We've already spent all this money implementing the program, we might as well go through with it even though it was ill-conceived."

But I'm not willing to concede it yet.

Basically at this point I'm rooting for SCOTUS to declare it unconstitutional because of the profound Constitution-negating ramifications which would result from allowing the Commerce Clause to be used in that way.

But if they let it go, that doesn't mean I'm willing to roll over and settle for the position of "manager" trying to implement Obamacare efficiently.

Conservatives shouldn't just settle for the role of effectively managing bad programs after Democrats vote them in.

Is it preferable to manage them poorly?

lol .... of course not. That I did not say. :eusa_eh:

Good. There are a number of Republican governors who are stepping up to ensure that implementation goes well, instead of attempting to sabotage it as some prefer. They ought to be commended.

Is it preferable to manage them poorly?

Good. There are a number of Republican governors who are stepping up to ensure that implementation goes well, instead of attempting to sabotage it as some prefer. They ought to be commended.

They've been ordered to build a gallows, so they'll try to build a good one. :cool:

Still hoping for a stay of execution from the SCOTUS!!!! :eusa_pray:

I had an example I was willing to use about taking Obama out of context but now it has completely slipped my mind!

Whoops! I'll post it if I remember it.

:)

I'm sure the list is endless. One frequent target for deliberate distortion I just saw referenced again today was Pelosi's speech to county-level officials:

"We have to do this in partnership [across levels of government], and I wanted to bring up to date on where we see it from here. The final health care legislation that will soon be passed by Congress will deliver successful reform at the local level. It will offer paid for investments that will improve health care services and coverage for millions more Americans. It will make significant investments in innovation, prevention, wellness and offer robust support for public health infrastructure. It will dramatically expand investments into community health centers. That means a dramatic expansion in the number of patients community health centers can see and ultimately healthier communities. Our bill will significantly reduce uncompensated care for hospitals.

"You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention -- it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

Really? I don't see that as a good example because what was said is what she meant: we need to pass the bill to find out what's in it. I don't know another way to take that....

Really? I don't see that as a good example because what was said is what she meant: we need to pass the bill to find out what's in it. I don't know another way to take that....

I think she meant, "When the smoke of battle clears, ordinary average Americans will see good things happening." Not that she was stopping legislators from reading the bill.

I think the extraordinary measures they used to pass the bill were immoral. Something so huge involving so much of the economy should have been passed in an above board manner.

But even if I still really really really hate what they did, I can't fault that one line.

I still think that the legislation is an unconstitutional load of bull which needs to be struck down by the Supreme Court, and she and Obama need to be held accountable for strangling the nation with it when they needed to be doing things like making sure their expensive stimulus and HAMP were working, but I can't fault her on that one line, taken in context.

Good points. But this part gave me a bit of a chill:

the republicans are supposed to bring manageability to the paperwork and common business sense to the overall picture

Just because Obama & Pelosi made a successful end run around the people's will in spite of so many people being against Obamacare that even Massachusetts voted Republican ... that doesn't mean we should have to be stuck with it.

Maybe we will be. Maybe it will survive the Supreme Court. Maybe enough people will quickly enough get used to the new perks. Maybe enough states will say, "We've already spent all this money implementing the program, we might as well go through with it even though it was ill-conceived."

But I'm not willing to concede it yet.

Basically at this point I'm rooting for SCOTUS to declare it unconstitutional because of the profound Constitution-negating ramifications which would result from allowing the Commerce Clause to be used in that way.

But if they let it go, that doesn't mean I'm willing to roll over and settle for the position of "manager" trying to implement Obamacare efficiently.

Obamacare is a product of failed leadership on the part of Obama. He should have refused to sign it and told Nancy to shove that lobby-written piece of shit straight up her ****.

Same could be said about Bush and Medicare D, but in his case he new exactly what he was signing and why. He had a promise to keep of making his rich friends in pharmaceuticals wealthy and his wealthy friends disgusting.

I understand your side just fine. Mitch's number one priority is to see Obama be a one-term pres (not to get the economy going again); Limbaugh wants to see Obama fail (which means the country fails); and the GOP aid, and those he speaks for, don't want to work with Obama because they aren't willing to give hima victory. It's pretty clear. But if you want to delude yourself, have at it. Thanks for playing.

*sigh*

Thank you for showing you're not willing to listen to what people are really saying.

We're not demons. You're not demons. We need to realize that about each other. We don't want America to fail. You don't want America to fail.

We just have fundamentally different ideas about what leads to success.

I am perfectly willing to listen to your side. I didn't say that you are demons. I don't think that you really want to see the country fail. But for me there is no other way to take those quotes. McConnell said his number one priority is to see Obama fail; Limbaugh openly called for Obama to fail; according to that aid, the GOP won't give Obama a win because they don't want him to look good. These are the people that you want me to believe are willing to compromise and do what's best for the country? Sorry, I just don't buy it. There are reasonable people from the conservative side. Those people are not an example of reasonable conservatives.

They've been ordered to build a gallows, so they'll try to build a good one. :cool:

Still hoping for a stay of execution from the SCOTUS!!!! :eusa_pray:

Something that conservatives tend to overlook or ignore is the part of the health care law which gives states the opportunity to implement their own health care laws as long as, at a minimum, they cover the same amount of people and accomplish the same goals as Obama's law. Any state is elligible. Their is no excuse. Either come up with an equal or better law of your own or you get the federal law. Vermont knows this. They just passed the first single-payer health care law.

I understand your side just fine. Mitch's number one priority is to see Obama be a one-term pres (not to get the economy going again); Limbaugh wants to see Obama fail (which means the country fails); and the GOP aid, and those he speaks for, don't want to work with Obama because they aren't willing to give hima victory. It's pretty clear. But if you want to delude yourself, have at it. Thanks for playing.

Actually, Obama failing does not necessarily mean the country fails.... it really does depend on your definition of 'fail'. When the right talk about Obama 'failing', we mean in his left wing agenda - which, we believe, is socialistic - albeit 'socialism lite'.... kind of like they have in Europe.

Our nation was founded to be different to other nations.... we don't want to be like Europe, so... that's what 'fail' means.

Hope that helps.

Forum List

Back