Context Matters

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    What kinds of examples do you have where one side of the political aisle seems to willfully misunderstand another?

Limbaugh's "I hope Obama fails" is one of them. That's taken as Limbaugh saying he hopes America fails, when it was never anything other than Limbaugh's statement that the thinks that Obama's policies would be wrong for America so he hopes Obama can't do what Limbaugh thinks would be hurtful.

Here's another one which I learned from the NPR site. So yea NPR. I'm not always saying "Yea NPR" but this was a good example.

Obama Chooses Republicans' Words Carefully To Say They're Playing Politics : The Two-Way : NPR

So that's another example where people are thinking about what is best for America and honestly believe that Obama's plans don't address it ... but the words were spun to say that they were putting politics ahead of accomplishing good things.

What other examples have you seen? Either direction ....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    I disagree with your assessment of both of those quotes. Limbaugh saying he hopes Obama fails does equate to wanting the country to fail. maybe that's not what he meant, but it comes across that way. If Obama fails, then the country fails. Period.

Then there's the anonymous quote. Taking the whole quote in context doesn't help. Either way, the aid is saying that the GOP is not willing to help the Dems pass the bill. If they want to debate it, fine, but hat's not what the aid said.

It's not too hard to figure out the GOP's strategy. All one has to do is go back and read the quote from Mitch MConnell - "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

End of story.

3. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,397
    With the current horrid state of affairs, O will be and should be a one term president. His failed policies and business inexperience are a couple of the reasons. There are a myriad of others also.

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Then you are playing the role of determined jackass willfully playing dishonest and dumb.

This is the kind of behavior that is tearing the country appart. Lemon picking each other's statements for reasons to be angry, rather than looking for ways to move things forward. And then after engaging in this kind of dishonest misrepresentation you wonder why the other side is so very pissed at you

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

The whole quote should be provided, so that people can judge.

Of course the aid is saying that the GOP is not willing to help pass the bill. Because the bill is not a good one. That part of the quote should be included. The GOP should not help Obama push the country off a cliff.

And no, wanting Obama to fail is not wanting America to fail. Did you want Bush to succeed with his plan to partially privatize social security? We on the right listened to what Obama had in mind for America. Unlike the people who went around with with a drug-like euphoric smile on their face chanting "hope and change", WE actually listened to the man.

Cap and trade? Bankrupt the coal industry? Take over 1/6th of the economy with no appreciation of the unintended consequences?

OF COURSE we wanted to stop what we knew Obama was planning.

Stopping Obama, or at least slowing him down = helping America not slide too far off the cliff while we wait for people to wake up out of whatever mass hypnosis they were under which allowed them to elect Obama.

Disagreeing with Obama and disagreeing with the Dems and disagreeing with you does not equal wanting America to fail.

It means that we have different ideas of what is needed for the success of America, and as Americans we have the right to express them.

And as intelligent human beings we can hope that the media and our President won't take our words out of context and present them in a manner which is 180 degrees from how we intended them.

But as we have seen over and over, this is not something we can expect from this President. Over and over he puts words into our mouths that we didn't say. Over and over he mischaracterizes the aims of conservatives.

I've never seen a politician speak so much. And I've never seen a politician so fond of straw men. As an American citizen, I think I have the right not to have my President so willfully misstate what I am saying and thinking and working for.

But since this President can't seem to help himself from misstating what I believe to further his own efforts to keep himself in office, that's just one more reason to hope he fails.

The hope and change drug fest is over. When even NPR can tell - sometimes - that Obama is spinning shamelessly that means that the country is close to being on the right track.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  6. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Let me get this straight: You say you want the country to move forward, and in the same breath call me a dumb jackass for my supposedly "angry" interpretation of those quotes.

First of all, jackass, you should try being a little more curteous if you're going to get up on your high horse about working together. Second, nowhere in my previous post is there even an ounce of anger. I simply disagree with the OP's assessment.

How is my opinion dishonest? I read what Limbaugh and the anonymous aid said. I think it's pretty clear where they stand - they don't want to see Obama win anything. You can call it what you wish, but clearly, both the far-right and the new moderateless-GOP would rather see things get worse before they're willing to cooperate with Dems or Obama.

Mitch MConnell - "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

You don't like my assessment, then don't. But that doesn't make me a jackass. But you are clearly an asshole.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Mitch MConnell - "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

8. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Then why didn't the aid say, "We're willing to work with the Dems to make the bill better"? Instead he said they don't want to give him a victory. How else am I supposed to take that?

If you have different ideas, then let's see them. Instead of bitching about Obama's ideas, then crafting legislation that won't pass the Democrat-controllled Senate, maybe you should present some ideas that Dems will go along with. The GOP has had the House since Jan. Where are their jobs bills? All they've done is vote to repeal Obama's health care bill, vote for more tax breaks for the rich, try to ban abortion, and try to keep gays from getting married or serving openly in the military.

9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

You've just handed me another perfect example for why context matters. What reason did he give for saying that?

The reason he gave for saying that was because we needed to have a Republican in the White House if we wanted to accomplish such things as repealing Obamacare. It wouldn't matter if Republicans held both houses because with Obama in office he could veto our attempts to do what voters put them in office to do.

One more time! Wanting Obama to fail is not wanting America to fail. Wanting Obama to be a one-term president is not wanting America to fail.

Wanting Obama to be a one-term president is wanting to give America a chance as soon as possible to get a fiscally responsible president in office.

Because Obama is clearly not the man.

But thank you for adding another example to my collection.

I was looking forward to Democrats adding examples where Republicans took their words out of context. Sort of my own attempt at bipartisan understanding.

But if you want to keep giving me examples where the left misunderstands my side, that's fine too.

10. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    I understand your side just fine. Mitch's number one priority is to see Obama be a one-term pres (not to get the economy going again); Limbaugh wants to see Obama fail (which means the country fails); and the GOP aid, and those he speaks for, don't want to work with Obama because they aren't willing to give hima victory. It's pretty clear. But if you want to delude yourself, have at it. Thanks for playing.