Contest

i didn't add an illegal act, why did you?

but there's no such thing as jaywalking in ny. well there is, but no one in the history of time has ever been stopped for it.

i have a better one though. say i look hispanic or have an accent. i get pulled over for a routine stop. i'm a citizen so all i have is my drivers' license and reggistration.

do i now need my passport?

in nyc? nope.

in AZ? yup...
I wonder...as an American you aren't required to have a passport unless you travel outside of the country. If this law forces anyone in Arizona to purchase a passport will the state of Arizona be required to pay for it?

And how will this affect people voting in elections? Will a passport be required as well...that is certainly interacting with the government.

:eusa_eh:

I'm afraid jillian is misinformed. There is no requirement to have a passport in Arizona. What the law says is that "a reasonable attempt shall be made to determine the immigration status....." If a person has a VALID driver's license there is no need for any attempt further to verify their immigration status. Oh, and someone here on a Greencard or Vise is REQUIRED to have it with them AT ALL TIMES.

Rick

it says you have to ascertain citizenship status. i am not misinformed. you are misstating the facts, though.

If he'd have jaywalked he most certainly would have.

And let me once again make this clear, NO ONE in Arizona is being asked for their I.D. just because they are of a certain skin color. They are asked for I.D. when they come in contact with police for other reasons. There's nothing wrong with that.

Rick

but there's no such thing as jaywalking in ny. well there is, but no one in the history of time has ever been stopped for it.

i have a better one though. say i look hispanic or have an accent. i get pulled over for a routine stop. i'm a citizen so all i have is my drivers' license and reggistration.

in nyc? nope.

in AZ? yup...

I added an illegal act because that's the only reason the OP came in contact with the police officer. He crossed the center line.

In Arizona you would not have to have your passport if you have a VALID driver's license.

Rick

the O/P said he was stopped for having a phillies blunt sticker.

people get stopped at random checkpoints, too.

and you do need a passport if you look/sound hispanic.

you can spin it any way you want to.

I wonder...as an American you aren't required to have a passport unless you travel outside of the country. If this law forces anyone in Arizona to purchase a passport will the state of Arizona be required to pay for it?

And how will this affect people voting in elections? Will a passport be required as well...that is certainly interacting with the government.

I'm afraid jillian is misinformed. There is no requirement to have a passport in Arizona. What the law says is that "a reasonable attempt shall be made to determine the immigration status....." If a person has a VALID driver's license there is no need for any attempt further to verify their immigration status. Oh, and someone here on a Greencard or Vise is REQUIRED to have it with them AT ALL TIMES.

Rick

it says you have to ascertain citizenship status. i am not misinformed. you are misstating the facts, though.

Sorry, but there is no requirement of ANY U.S. citizen to have a passport unless they are traveling outside the country. Please point out to me in the bill where it says that if you are stopped you will be required to show a passport if you have a valid driver's license.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

It's not there. Because they can not REQUIRE you to have documentation that is not REQUIRED of a U.S. citizen.

Rick

If a person has a VALID driver's license there is no need for any attempt further to verify their immigration status.
Link?

I've linked the bill before, and you've neglected to read it. But I'll link it for you one more time.

Please, read it this time. Just because jillian says that something is true without backing it up does not make it true. And she has not backed up her statement.

Rick

in nyc? nope.

in AZ? yup...

I added an illegal act because that's the only reason the OP came in contact with the police officer. He crossed the center line.

In Arizona you would not have to have your passport if you have a VALID driver's license.

Rick

the O/P said he was stopped for having a phillies blunt sticker.

people get stopped at random checkpoints, too.

and you do need a passport if you look/sound hispanic.

you can spin it any way you want to.

Yes, he originally said that, but it turns out that he was ACTUALLY stopped for crossing the center line. So, he was pulled over for a driving violation.

And from my reading of the bill, you don't need a passport, you need a VALID form of identification.

Rick

If a person has a VALID driver's license there is no need for any attempt further to verify their immigration status.
Link?

I've linked the bill before, and you've neglected to read it. But I'll link it for you one more time.

Please, read it this time. Just because jillian says that something is true without backing it up does not make it true. And she has not backed up her statement.

Rick
The only time a driver's license is mentioned in your link is in reference to impounding a vehicle.

So I repeat the request for a link to prove your claim.

I am giving a gift certificate for a fake ID to the first person that can answer my question:

I got pulled over once for having a Phillies Blunt sticker in my car window. (true story)

I am a white American Male.

What was the first thing the officer asked me for?

The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Case would have been thrown out of court because he had no probable cause to pull you over, if he charged you with anything.

Course you could have tucked your tail between your legs and served time because you don't mind having your rights violated.

Actually he did. I crossed the middle line. The Phillies Blunt sticker was just the last straw and he pulled me over.

I was ok with it... I could have been high and he would have done others a favor by getting me off the road.

And I wasn't doing anything wrong to serve time for. He confirmed that by pulling me over. He was a nice guy.

Oh wait... you are right.... I got pulled over "while being white"
Oh, you lied about it...no problem.:cuckoo:

Anyone else notice Ravi has started using :cuckoo: in place of an argument...

Actually he did. I crossed the middle line. The Phillies Blunt sticker was just the last straw and he pulled me over.

I was ok with it... I could have been high and he would have done others a favor by getting me off the road.

And I wasn't doing anything wrong to serve time for. He confirmed that by pulling me over. He was a nice guy.

Why would any other response be required when someone is caught in a lie.

That this is new to you just shows the infrequency in which you participate in "discussions" on this board.:eusa_whistle:

Well, when I caught you lying about me earlier (about the rights of citizens vs residents) I pointed out why it was a lie, instead of just posting :cuckoo:, so others could understand why it was a lie.

Well, when I caught you lying about me earlier (about the rights of citizens vs residents) I pointed out why it was a lie, instead of just posting :cuckoo:, so others could understand why it was a lie.
What lie are you talking about? Citizens are not obligated to carry identification.

What lie are you talking about? Citizens are not obligated to carry identification.

Stop posturing Ravi.

Stop posturing Ravi.
Citizens are not required to carry id...I've no idea what your game is but it is stupid.

Forum List

Back