Contacting a member of congress

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Russell, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Russell

Russell Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All.
    Have you tried contacting a member of congress on the internet? I have two questions to ask.
    First, they tell you any response from them is "As a congressional courtesy..." This condescending tone is to put you in a position of of supplication before your lord and master or lady and mistress. Is it a courtesy for a member of congress to do his or her job, or is it a duty to the nation, as well as to their constituents?
    Second. Members of congress have "Step One - Zip Authentication" which disallows anyone who is not a constituent from contacting them via E-Mail. This leads me to believe that members of congress only care about constituents (votes and money/donations) and the rest of the city, county, state and nation do not matter. Do others feel the way I do?
    Thanks, Russ

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    I have contacted a few. Sometimes I get a personal response, other times a form letter. Usually nothing.

But then I get put on their spam lists and I get all their e-mail blasts about whatever topic they wanna' pontificate about. Durbin and Pelosi are the worst offenders in that area.

3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    You can generally email them by going to their websites.

I've contacted a few. And gotten responses.

4. Russell

Russell Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Paul & Sallow,
    Thank you for your replies. How did you get past the zip authentication? The moment I put in my zip code I am rejected. If I use a zip code in their district, they want an address. Do we make one up?
    Thanks. Russ

5. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    It's kinda up to the congressperson. I've contacted congress people from other districts about issues I had with their stances. Sometimes they write you sometimes they don't. They are under no obligation to deal with anybody. Of course..that could be fatal in an election.

6. Russell

Russell Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Sallow,
    Am I correct in assuming that you sent a letter via snail mail?
    Thanks. Russ

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    What's so damned important that you feel obligated to hound an out-of-district congressperson who probably has a full time aide dedicated to handling thousands of emails daily?

8. Russell

Russell Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Mr. H.
    If you want to know, I'll tell you.
    I am a registered Democrat and feel embarrassed that democrats dropped the ball on Hr 235, The Social Security Fairness Act of 2009. A republican, H. McKeon of California, re-introduced it as HR 1332, The Social Security Fairness Act of 2011 and it already has 82 co-sponsors. Not only republicans but democrats are now realizing the damage done to hard working Americans by Ronald Reagan and his cronies. If you didn't know, "Ronnie" took away 60% of our social security because we were federal workers. Remember, no one told us we would be deprived of our social security when we were paying into it. I fully realize that Reagan took it away but neither Clinton nor Obama returned it to us.
    I woud like to urge all members of congress to vote for this bill, and especially for democrats to cross the aisle on this one. I need my social security and believe that I am more deserving of it than illegal aliens or foreign nations.
    And, by the way, from what I understand, God has already punished Reagan for this crime. He was buried on the San Andreas Fault line, every time California has a quake or tremor, his bones rattle, rock and roll. He will never have peace. He doesn't deserve it.
    Thank you. Russ

9. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Email.

I suppose you could give a fake addy..but why?

10. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    :lol:

That's kinda funny..