Consumer Toys: The Democratic Invasion(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a consumerism-archaeology 'vignette' inspired by the imagination-paranoia film Toys.

Is consumerism a sign of sophistication?

I'm a big fan of boti-kebab masala offered at Indian restaurants across the USA, so I try to be idealistic about consumerism/capitalism!

Signing off,

====

Consumer Reports was doing an archaeological report on various home goods and kitchen items and hardware-tools as well as various convenience items such as electric-lanterns, battery-powered electric drills, and high-tech microwaves (being sold at various chain-stores across America). One executive named Stan Philsby was doing a special spotlight on the evolution of such 'consumer items' and mapped the development of kitchen and hardware goods ranging from the blade-and-plate floor-level food-cutting item the Indian boti to the modern-day Ninja Blender being sold in various American infomercials. Stan believed that the evolution of consumer goods reflected the 'cardinality' of humanity's imagination.

B2.jpg

Many American kids at the time were somewhat frustrated and bored with the quality of adult-life themed toys being sold at Toys 'R Us stores across America (now that the shopping-season was approaching). These kids remembered the days of more classic-looking consumer toys such as ornate pink dollhouses, Barbie cars, plastic telephones, toy microwaves, and mini-cars, since these imaginative items were being replaced by more 'realistic' consumer toys such as hardware tool sets, construction trucks, and battery-powered helicopters. Stan Philsby noticed this public unhappiness among kid-shoppers and wanted to discuss the ramifications of 'undesirable consumer items/toy' evolution/development. However, Stan was a little apprehensive presenting such considerations to Consumer Reports.

mwave-kids.jpg

Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and Hades (Greek god of the underworld) noticed Stan Philsby's hesitations/concerns despite the unhappiness of so many children looking to buy fun and imaginative consumer toys for the shopping-season. Shiva and Hades decided to have a debate with Stan about the value of consumer items/toys inventories and archaeological analysis. Shiva and Hades wished to convince Stan that such analysis was crucial to the vitality of not only consumerism but also capitalism itself.

SHIVA: Stan, you can't back down from this symbolic challenge!
HADES: If you back down Stan, consumerism will go to the dogs...
STAN: I'm worried that my company will disapprove of my 'social criticism.'

SHIVA: This is no time to be a 'minion' Stan.
HADES: Yeah, do you want kid-shoppers to be 'sacrificed'?
STAN: Well, parents reserve the right to shop what they want (for their kids).

SHIVA: Parents have less 'choice' if toy companies offer only uninspired toys!
HADES: What if Barbie loses her charm, or Cabbage Patch Kids are forgotten?
STAN: Are you suggesting that American children will be harmed/demoralized?

SHIVA: Consider what the Devil himself would tell you Stan...
HADES: "Stan, God wants obedience, but I give you permission to be apathetic!"
STAN: Maybe I should talk to Consumer Reports about the potential risks.

SHIVA: That's right; we want happy little girls shopping at Toys 'R Us!
HADES: We want happy little boys buying water-guns that don't look dangerous...
STAN: I'll make the proper recommendations; I had no idea consumerism was 'monumental.'

shiva-hades.jpg

====

:dance:

Forum List

Back