Consumer prices excluding food and energy fell in January.

Falling prices equates to a falling demand for goods. Which given high unemployment and 15 - 24 months of economic uncertainty, should not be too surprising.

When the arabs thought we were going to stop driving our cars going into the recession, they opened the spigot and fuel prices fell. Once they saw that we will keep on rollin' they tightened up the supplies a bit.

With the effects of global warming shortening this year's growing seasons, food prices will remain volatile. If you haven't planned to do so already, it would be a good year to plant a garden.

This will be my third year with an attempt at a garden....hopefully, this year's will be better than last years. The beans I grew were so stringy we couldn't eat them. Didn't plant enough of them either. My tomatoes were about 1/3 the size of most of my friend's that have gardens.....I just don't have a green thumb, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Find out what they do differently.
Also, what do you know about the location of your garden?
I was stumped for a while as to why part of my garden wouldn't grow anything. Found out that just a few years ago there was an equipment shed there, a good bit of oil, gas, grease etc. had spilled on the ground over the years. Moved my garden.

Energy going up? No problem in San Diego. I do not heat my house in Winter and do not cool my house in summer. There are usually sea breezes in Summer and I just open windows on both sides of the house and let the fresh air blow through. In winter, I get up and start a roast in the oven if it is a bit cool and it is soon warm enough to walk around barefoot and in my swim trunks. I walk around barefoot and in swim trunks all year round. That is what I am wearing right now. I was planting my garden in the back yard so was wearing moccasins while planting the beans and tomatoes.

Falling prices equates to a falling demand for goods. Which given high unemployment and 15 - 24 months of economic uncertainty, should not be too surprising.

When the arabs thought we were going to stop driving our cars going into the recession, they opened the spigot and fuel prices fell. Once they saw that we will keep on rollin' they tightened up the supplies a bit.

With the effects of global warming shortening this year's growing seasons, food prices will remain volatile. If you haven't planned to do so already, it would be a good year to plant a garden.

This will be my third year with an attempt at a garden....hopefully, this year's will be better than last years. The beans I grew were so stringy we couldn't eat them. Didn't plant enough of them either. My tomatoes were about 1/3 the size of most of my friend's that have gardens.....I just don't have a green thumb, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Find out what they do differently.
Also, what do you know about the location of your garden?
I was stumped for a while as to why part of my garden wouldn't grow anything. Found out that just a few years ago there was an equipment shed there, a good bit of oil, gas, grease etc. had spilled on the ground over the years. Moved my garden.

Mine's a raised garden with new soil. I fertilized it last year and will do so again this year before I plant. Also, I'm building two more raised gardens and I will be bringing in more topsoil for them. The soil here is pretty much clay, it's hard to grow anything in it.

Funny...

I know that when I make my budget I don't exclude things like food and fuel...

Well, 0bamanomics makes up it's own rules anyway....

At least he saved 8 bajillion jobs last year....

they've excluded fuel since at least the seventies, i think. food hasn't been as long, but it was prior to the current misadministration.

when gas went from 40 cents a gallon to $1.40/gal they had to do something about inflation, you know. i wish it was that easy in real life.

Food and energy have NEVER been excluded from the CPI. The so-called core CPI is not the headline number, and is not used for COLA increases etc. It's simply a sub-set of the main number.

Forum List

Back