Constitutional Carry, no permit to carry a gun.

Actually no, it doesn't.

The right to bear arms is the right to be in the militia.

There's no point in having a right to carry arms around, it serves no purpose that would have got it into the Bill of Rights.

It's hard to believe people are still stuck on the militia idiocy.

It's hard to believe that someone will reply to a post without knowing what the fuck they're talking about....

But happens all the time, doesn't it? And you've just added to the huge pile of shitty posts.

Though, here's the difference between you and me, I can back my argument up with lots of evidence, you can't.

Oh, well.
Actually no, it doesn't.

There's no point in having a right to carry arms around, it serves no purpose that would have got it into the Bill of Rights.

It's hard to believe that someone will reply to a post without knowing what the fuck they're talking about....

But happens all the time, doesn't it? And you've just added to the huge pile of shitty posts.

Though, here's the difference between you and me, I can back my argument up with lots of evidence, you can't.

Oh, well.

Yep I'm amazed that lefty doesn't understand what a militia is, or was. I guess history and civics aren't important to the ignorant.

Actually I understand perfectly.

The reality is you're making massive assumptions based on nothing. And you keep hammering something when you have no idea what you're hammering.

You've decided you know what I know, and you're arguing that. It's rather common for people to do this, and it's ridiculous. Can you not see that you have no idea what my position is? You just assume you know it.

Have you read what the Co-sponsors of the second amendment said about it?

Have you read what the Federalist papers have to say about the second amendment?

Have you learned what the meaning of the word Militia meant in the 1700's?

You have some research to do.......................
Have you read DC v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago.

Do you understand that the Supreme Court alone determines what the Constitution means, including the Second Amendment, not the Federalist Papers or other primary source documents.

Clearly you're the one who needs to do some research.

Actually no, it doesn't.

Oh, well.
Actually no, it doesn't.

Oh, well.

Yep I'm amazed that lefty doesn't understand what a militia is, or was. I guess history and civics aren't important to the ignorant.

The reality is you're making massive assumptions based on nothing. And you keep hammering something when you have no idea what you're hammering.

You've decided you know what I know, and you're arguing that. It's rather common for people to do this, and it's ridiculous. Can you not see that you have no idea what my position is? You just assume you know it.

You just keep doubling down on your stupid assertion. The 2nd Amendment is written in English so I have to assume English is a 2nd language for you.

What "stupid assertion"?

You have no idea what I think. You've literally decided what you think I know, and you're trying to argue what you're comfortable with, and not with what my argument is.

Every time I've told you this, and every time you come back at me as if you have the fainted idea what my argument is.

You'll probably do it again too.

Actually no, it doesn't.

Oh, well.
Actually no, it doesn't.

Oh, well.

Have you read what the Federalist papers have to say about the second amendment?

Haha. Oh, I know a lot about the Second Amendment. I've done my research.

I'll tell you what will happen. I'll make my argument. I'll present the evidence. Then people like you will start ignoring the evidence and then providing irrelevant nonsense, or trying to twist things so badly it looks like a car crash.

Do you want me to begin?

So the assertion here is that the Second Amendment protects and individual to carry a gun.

Amendment II: House of Representatives, Amendments to the Constitution

In the House they discussed a part of the Second Amendment that did not eventually remain.

"but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms."

Now, the rights protected in the 2A are the right to keep arms and the right to bear arms.

The argument is that "bear" can mean "carry" therefore it DOES mean carry.

Firstly this is a ridiculous assertion.

"stool" can mean a wooden backless seat, or it can mean feces.

"The doctor asked for a stool sample" "The doctor sat on the stool".

Okay, I'm going to say that because "stool" can mean "feces" it MUST mean feces.

So, "The doctor sat on the stool" must mean the doctor sat on the feces because it CAN mean he sat on the feces.

Sounds ridiculous right?

It gets even more ridiculous when you find out there are various meanings for "bear" as a verb. If it had to mean all of them, like give birth, then you'd get rather confused.

So, in the House they discussed whether to insert a clause that would allow people who were religiously scrupulous to not "bear arms".

Now, if this were "carry arms", then there's an assumption that individuals would be forced to "bear arms", therefore carry arms around.

I've never found one single thing suggesting that the people of that age would try and compel individuals to carry guns around with them.

Mr Gerry said: "Now, I am apprehensive, sir, that this clause would give an opportunity to the people in power to destroy the constitution itself. They can declare who are those religiously scrupulous, and prevent them from bearing arms."

Later he said: "Now, if we give a discretionary power to exclude those from militia duty who have religious scruples, we may as well make no provision on this head. "

Wait, what. He's talking about "bear arms" and he's just used it synonymously with "militia duty". Not carry arms around, but "militia duty."

There doesn't seem to be any way of misinterpreting what Mr Gerry said.

The original clause talks about "religious scruples" and so too does the last quoted part of the passage.

"Mr. Jackson was willing to accommodate. He thought the expression was, "No one, religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service, in person, upon paying an equivalent.""

Ah, Mr Jackson wanted the "bear arms" changed to "render military service." Not only this, but they ACTUALLY did this.

June 8th 1789 the clause read:
"but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

August 17th 1789 the clause read:

August 24th 1789 the clause read:
"but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

So clearly they thought the two similar, if not the same.

Then you have the Supreme Court

ROBERTSON v. BALDWIN, 165 U.S. 275 (1897)

“the right of the people to keep and bear arms (article 2) is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons;”

PRESSER v. STATE OF ILLINOIS, 116 U.S. 252 (1886)

We think it clear that the sections under consideration, which only forbid bodies of men to associate together as military organizations, or to drill or parade with arms in cities [116 U.S. 252, 265] and towns unless authorized by law, do not infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Also, the NRA has supported carry and conceal permits. If carrying were protected by the Constitution, then the NRA would have to oppose something with prevents people from being able to carry out the supposed "right to carry guns around with them".

Oh, well.

Oh, well.

Have you read DC v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago.

Do you understand that the Supreme Court alone determines what the Constitution means, including the Second Amendment, not the Federalist Papers or other primary source documents.

Clearly you're the one who needs to do some research.

Does this mean the 1857 Dred Scott decision or the 1896 Plessy vs. Ferguson were correct decisions?

Those decisions that were LATER overturned because they were IDIOTIC decisions.......

:lmao:

Meanwhile you make clear you have NO idea what the actual writer of the second amendment thinks it means. The Federalist Papers has an author in it who also SPONSORED the amendment at the Constitutional convention. I am sure you have no idea what HE thinks it means either, which is why I asked the questions which you noticeably avoided answering.

It is clear YOU need to do some research.

WHAT THE FRAMERS INTENDED: A LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS OF THE RIGHT TO "BEAR ARMS"

STEPHEN P. HALBROOK*

Excerpt:

II THE RIGHT TO "BEAR" ARMS
Did the framers intend the second amendment to encompass a right to carry guns for self-protection? Professor Lawrence Cress, who speaks for himself when he claims that "we know little about the Second Amendment's reception in the States," has recently argued that the Founding Fathers would have been shocked by the idea that citizens could bear firearms for selfdefense.' 0 Professor Kates bases his similar argument that there is no right to bear arms outside of militia service on an unpublished thesis of a law student.'' Yet Cress and Kates are well aware 12 that the first state Declaration of Rights to use the term "bear arms" was that of Pennsylvania in 1776: "That the people have a right to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State." 13

LINK

Documents on the First Congress Debate on Arms and Militia.

Extracted from The Origins of the American

Constitution, A Documentary History,

Edited by Michael Kammen, Penguin Books, 1986;

and from Creating the Bill of Rights: The Documentary

Record from the First Federal Congress,

Edited by Helen E. Veit, et al., The Johns Hopkins University

Press, 1991.

EXCERPT:

From the Madison Resolution, June 8, 1789.

Resolved, that the following amendments ought to be proposed by Congress to

the legislatures of the states, to become, if ratified by three fourths

thereof, part of the constitution of the United States... The right of the

people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed, and well

regulated militia being the best security of a free country; but no person

religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render

military service in person...

LINK

Oh, well.

Oh, well.

I'll tell you what will happen. I'll make my argument. I'll present the evidence. Then people like you will start ignoring the evidence and then providing irrelevant nonsense, or trying to twist things so badly it looks like a car crash.

Do you want me to begin?

So the assertion here is that the Second Amendment protects and individual to carry a gun.

In the House they discussed a part of the Second Amendment that did not eventually remain.

Now, the rights protected in the 2A are the right to keep arms and the right to bear arms.

Okay, I'm going to say that because "stool" can mean "feces" it MUST mean feces.

So, "The doctor sat on the stool" must mean the doctor sat on the feces because it CAN mean he sat on the feces.

Sounds ridiculous right?

It gets even more ridiculous when you find out there are various meanings for "bear" as a verb. If it had to mean all of them, like give birth, then you'd get rather confused.

So, in the House they discussed whether to insert a clause that would allow people who were religiously scrupulous to not "bear arms".

Now, if this were "carry arms", then there's an assumption that individuals would be forced to "bear arms", therefore carry arms around.

I've never found one single thing suggesting that the people of that age would try and compel individuals to carry guns around with them.

Mr Gerry said: "Now, I am apprehensive, sir, that this clause would give an opportunity to the people in power to destroy the constitution itself. They can declare who are those religiously scrupulous, and prevent them from bearing arms."

Later he said: "Now, if we give a discretionary power to exclude those from militia duty who have religious scruples, we may as well make no provision on this head. "

Wait, what. He's talking about "bear arms" and he's just used it synonymously with "militia duty". Not carry arms around, but "militia duty."

The original clause talks about "religious scruples" and so too does the last quoted part of the passage.

"Mr. Jackson was willing to accommodate. He thought the expression was, "No one, religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service, in person, upon paying an equivalent.""

Ah, Mr Jackson wanted the "bear arms" changed to "render military service." Not only this, but they ACTUALLY did this.

"but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

"but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

“the right of the people to keep and bear arms (article 2) is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons;”

We think it clear that the sections under consideration, which only forbid bodies of men to associate together as military organizations, or to drill or parade with arms in cities [116 U.S. 252, 265] and towns unless authorized by law, do not infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Also, the NRA has supported carry and conceal permits. If carrying were protected by the Constitution, then the NRA would have to oppose something with prevents people from being able to carry out the supposed "right to carry guns around with them".

Meanwhile you didn't show what the SPONSORS of the Second Amendment thinks about it at all.

What did Madison or Jefferson, or Jay say about it?

Snicker..........................

STEPHEN P. HALBROOK*

Excerpt:

Did the framers intend the second amendment to encompass a right to carry guns for self-protection? Professor Lawrence Cress, who speaks for himself when he claims that "we know little about the Second Amendment's reception in the States," has recently argued that the Founding Fathers would have been shocked by the idea that citizens could bear firearms for selfdefense.' 0 Professor Kates bases his similar argument that there is no right to bear arms outside of militia service on an unpublished thesis of a law student.'' Yet Cress and Kates are well aware 12 that the first state Declaration of Rights to use the term "bear arms" was that of Pennsylvania in 1776: "That the people have a right to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State." 13

LINK

Problem is, first you talk about the author of the Federalist Papers, then you quote someone talking about the "framers".

The framers were a bunch of people with differing ideas.

There's no evidence at all that the SECOND AMENDMENT protects any right to self defense. There's evidence the right to self defense exists, it's just nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

Basically, the logic that it does have something to do with it is

A) the Second Amendment says "arms"
B) You can use arms to defend yourself.

That's it. That's the logic.

So, I could say that the Third Amendment says "soldier", therefore I have a right to be a soldier.

The Fourth Amendment says "Houses", therefore I have a right to a house.

Oh, well.

Oh, well.

Do you want me to begin?

Sounds ridiculous right?

Meanwhile you didn't show what the SPONSORS of the Second Amendment thinks about it at all.

You see, I wrote what would happen right at the top, and it happened. You ignored EVERYTHING I SAID.

But you're welcome to provide quotes from both of these.

STEPHEN P. HALBROOK*

Excerpt:

LINK

Problem is, first you talk about the author of the Federalist Papers, then you quote someone talking about the "framers".

There's no evidence at all that the SECOND AMENDMENT protects any right to self defense. There's evidence the right to self defense exists, it's just nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

So, I could say that the Third Amendment says "soldier", therefore I have a right to be a soldier.

Still you don't pay attention to the SPONSORS of the Second Amendment and those who were supporters of it.

That is why you stumble around so much with bogus evasions.

STEPHEN P. HALBROOK*

Excerpt:

LINK

Still you don't pay attention to the SPONSORS of the Second Amendment and those who were supporters of it.

That is why you stumble around so much with bogus evasions.

What should I pay attention to, exactly? You've said this twice, get on with it and make your own argument.

You're demanding that my argument be like this or that, but you don't have an argument, all the while you've completely and utterly ignored everything I said. As I said you would.

Do you want me to begin?

Sounds ridiculous right?

You see, I wrote what would happen right at the top, and it happened. You ignored EVERYTHING I SAID.

From here is a sampling from the founding fathers pens

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; or to raise standing armies, unless necessary for the defense of the United States, or of some one or more of them; or to prevent the people from petitioning, in a peaceable and orderly manner, the federal legislature, for a redress of grievances; or to subject the people to unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, papers or possessions.”
-George Washington, Debates of the Massachusetts Convention of February 6, 1788

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
– Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
– Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

Co- Sponsor of the Second Amendment:

George Mason Gun Quotes
“To disarm the people…s the most effectual way to enslave them.”
– George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

“I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
– George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

“That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that, in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.”
-George Mason, Virginia Declaration of Rights, June 12 1776

Noah Webster Gun Quotes

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.”
– Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

James Madison Gun Quotes
“Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.”
– James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
– James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

“…the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone…”

on and on it goes.

Do you want me to begin?

Sounds ridiculous right?

From here is a sampling from the founding fathers pens

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; or to raise standing armies, unless necessary for the defense of the United States, or of some one or more of them; or to prevent the people from petitioning, in a peaceable and orderly manner, the federal legislature, for a redress of grievances; or to subject the people to unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, papers or possessions.”
-George Washington, Debates of the Massachusetts Convention of February 6, 1788

– Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
– Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

Co- Sponsor of the Second Amendment:

George Mason Gun Quotes
“To disarm the people…s the most effectual way to enslave them.”
– George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

“I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
– George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

“That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that, in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.”
-George Mason, Virginia Declaration of Rights, June 12 1776

Noah Webster Gun Quotes

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.”
– Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

James Madison Gun Quotes
“Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.”

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
– James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

“…the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone…”

on and on it goes.

Okay, quote one.

"or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms;"

Okay, this is the right to keep arms. Not relevant to this discussion.

Also this is from George Washington.

SENTIMENTS ON A PEACE ESTABLISHMENT, 1783
George Washington

"every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America... from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls,"

"by making it universally reputable to bear Arms and disgraceful to decline having a share in the performance of Military duties; in fine, by keeping up in Peace "a well regulated, and disciplined Militia," we shall take the fairest and best method to preserve, for a long time to come, the happiness, dignity and Independence of our Country.“

George Washington talking about how "bear arms" means "Military duties"

Second quote.

Doesn't mention the Second Amendment. Irrelevant.

Third quote, "“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature."

Doesn't mention the Second Amendment. Irrelevant.

Fourth quote, doesn't mention the Second Amendment. Irrelevant.

Fifth quote, doesn't mention the Second Amendment. Irrelevant.

In fact the only one that mentions the Second Amendment in any way is the penultimate one, which only says there is a right to bear arms, it doesn't say what the right to bear arms is.

So..... You've got nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Forum List

Back