Constitution guarantees the right to vote - note to GOP voter suppressors

People don't have a right to votes. Citizens have at right to vote. And it's the responsibility of the people to prove who they are and that they are citizens,.

No it's not, moron. At least not in our theory of jurisprudence. One is innocent until proven guilty. Voter fraud is a crime, you cannot deny the right of a citizen to vote by whim, the color of the persons skin or the cut of their cloth - even though that is what you would like.

No citizen is denied a vote. You understand that? Frauds are denied votes.

Do you understand the difference between a citizen and a criminal?

And yes nations/states/communities are expected to take preventive measures against criminals. I can't believe you actually want to live in a world where the police can do nothing to stop crime, but merely respond to it after it's happened.

You really are so partisan and so thoughtless it amazes me. Of course preventative measures are taken; I spent over 30 years as a sworn Deputy/Supervisor/Manager enforcing legal codes. Lots of preventative measures are taken to prevent crime but crime continues. Will there be more crime if there are less officers? Absolutely. But we have laws that law enforcement must enforce and obey.

In this thread you and others hope to prevent a crime without probable cause for primarily partisan advantage. Suggesting fraud in voting is rampant is a canard. Does some fraud occur? I suppose, but I've not seen and not one of you right wingers have posted any evidence that fraud is widespread or has changed a result.

If you and others were honest, which you are not, you would admit the only reason this is an issue is because your ideology only appeals to about 30% of the American citizens. Most find the New Right, fundamentalist Christians, and the new face of the Republican Party too extreme. In an up or down vote of all citizens your kind loses.

Knowing this the money behind the baseless rumor that voter fraud is widespread has to defend a losing ideology with constant attacks and big lies. Both of which extremists like yourself and the echo chamber promulgate with the wisdom of a parrot.

The obvious solution is to accept all legitimate forms of identification, which is the crux of the problem. The legislation now pending is focused on weeding out as many voters as possible, not on making sure there is no fraud. As I said before, if you and the rest of the RWers were honest you would acknowledge this truth and reject efforts to disenfranchise American citizens.

so, I can, by your logic, I can vote in any election I want, regardless of whether or not I should, because I can? And there should be nothing done to prevent this?

You can also rob and store you like, and there is nothing to be done to prevent it unless probable cause exists.

my head started to hurt reading the above exchange.

unfortunately, there is no voters rights act. there should be. but there isn't. and as pointed out (however inartfully) there really isn't a protected federal right to vote for presidential electors. i wouldn't use bush v gore in support of that proposition, though, because that decision specifically states it has no value as precedent (which is why it was a scam... but that's for another thread).

however, the effort to force people to prove their identity is very much an effort to suppress votes. it has nothing to do with "voter fraud" which the rightwingnuts keep screeching about. voter fraud is really a de minimis problem. it's a means of causing inconvenience and harship which they believe keeps voter count low... something that almost always benefits republicans.

it's really not that complicated.

There is no voter's rights act, and I suppose we need one more Amendment to make that clear. Yet by inference it is clear that voting is a right, "which shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State" to any citizen.

Suggesting Americans "carry papers" has been anathema for generations, now it seems the self proclaimed defenders of liberty, the New Right, wants that changed. Life was much easier before the internet, when the lunatics were forced to walk the streets with sandwich boards proclaiming the end is near.

You can also rob and store you like, and there is nothing to be done to prevent it unless probable cause exists.

unfortunately, there is no voters rights act. there should be. but there isn't. and as pointed out (however inartfully) there really isn't a protected federal right to vote for presidential electors. i wouldn't use bush v gore in support of that proposition, though, because that decision specifically states it has no value as precedent (which is why it was a scam... but that's for another thread).

however, the effort to force people to prove their identity is very much an effort to suppress votes. it has nothing to do with "voter fraud" which the rightwingnuts keep screeching about. voter fraud is really a de minimis problem. it's a means of causing inconvenience and harship which they believe keeps voter count low... something that almost always benefits republicans.

There is no voter's rights act, and I suppose we need one more Amendment to make that clear. Yet by inference it is clear that voting is a right, "which shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State" to any citizen.

Suggesting Americans "carry papers" has been anathema for generations, now it seems the self proclaimed defenders of liberty, the New Right, wants that changed. Life was much easier before the internet, when the lunatics were forced to walk the streets with sandwich boards proclaiming the end is near.

Federal elections occur once every 2 years, one day in 2 years ( except for special occasions like a death or resignation). Requiring ID for someone for 1 hour out of every 2 years is hardly requiring papers for anyone.

It already is FEDERAL Law that one must identify themselves to be able to vote. Requiring picture ID is simply a prudent precaution based on the assumption of fraud. We have almost 20 million Illegals in this Country, you can not tell me they do not vote in any significant number. They have social security cards, they have drivers licenses in some States. You liberals don't mind because you think they vote for you.

Constitution guarantees the right to vote - note to GOP voter suppressors.

People in tiny cities know each other. Sometimes for 80 years. Many don't have cars.

The constitution guarantees the right to vote.

Why don't Republicans just campaign on policy? Why scam? Why suppress? Why fight the constitution they claim to "love"?

Just campaign on your "policies". Unless you know your policies aren't "right". Just campaign on your policies. Show America why they should vote for Republicans. They don't need to screw over Americans to get votes, do they?

Note to RDean...requiring people to show valid ID to prove they are who they say they are isn't screwing anyone over...it's preventing voter fraud.

Prove that

Prove that requiring valid ID keeps people from committing voter fraud? I think that's fairly obvious, TM. If we didn't require ID then zealots from both sides would be running around voting at different precincts because they believe the end justifies the means. Requiring valid ID is about as commonsense a thing as I can think of. That you think it means that someone's "rights" have been trampled on is laughable.

For a simple mind I'm sure it's not complicated.

Federal elections occur once every 2 years, one day in 2 years ( except for special occasions like a death or resignation). Requiring ID for someone for 1 hour out of every 2 years is hardly requiring papers for anyone.

It already is FEDERAL Law that one must identify themselves to be able to vote. Requiring picture ID is simply a prudent precaution based on the assumption of fraud. We have almost 20 million Illegals in this Country, you can not tell me they do not vote in any significant number. They have social security cards, they have drivers licenses in some States. You liberals don't mind because you think they vote for you.

You cannot prove that they vote in any significant number. In fact I have no problem with showing a picture I.D when voting; it's the efforts of the GOP to put restrictions on which I.D.'s are sufficient. A student I.D. card maybe the only I.D. a citizen might have, yet some states hope to disenfranchise students; elders and the poor who do not drive may not have a government I.D., they too would be disenfranchised.

If you were honest, which you are not, you would admit this effort is a conspiracy by the GOP, the Kockroaches and other Plutocrats to influence elections for the sake of their ideology. It has nothing to do with the principles we all learned in civics.

If the Congress decided to put before the States a voters right amendment to the Constitution, and specified that all citizens receive a government issued I.D. card at the time they registered to vote, this entire issue would be put to rest. Doing it under the current circumstances smells.

:lmao:

"prove that checking ID's serves to curb voter fraud" :rofl:

Might as well retardedly demand similar proof that:

-Pollution regulations reduce pollution
-Murder laws reduce the number of murders
-Seat belt laws result in more people wearing their seatbelt

:lol:

If The Congress really gave a damn about free and fair elections they would do something about fraud in the booth and in the media.

A constitutional amendment put forth to require a voter registration card - used only for the purpose of voting - and verbage to repeal the unfair advantage of money in election advertising; CU v. FEC must be overturned. It is wrongheaded and a threat to the principles of free and fair elections.

For a simple mind I'm sure it's not complicated.

You cannot prove that they vote in any significant number. In fact I have no problem with showing a picture I.D when voting; it's the efforts of the GOP to put restrictions on which I.D.'s are sufficient. A student I.D. card maybe the only I.D. a citizen might have, yet some states hope to disenfranchise students; elders and the poor who do not drive may not have a government I.D., they too would be disenfranchised.

If you were honest, which you are not, you would admit this effort is a conspiracy by the GOP, the Kockroaches and other Plutocrats to influence elections for the sake of their ideology. It has nothing to do with the principles we all learned in civics.

If the Congress decided to put before the States a voters right amendment to the Constitution, and specified that all citizens receive a government issued I.D. card at the time they registered to vote, this entire issue would be put to rest. Doing it under the current circumstances smells.

With all due respect, Wry...

I'm in the bar business. The reason that we as an industry can't accept student ID's as proof of age enabling young people to purchase alcohol is because they are far too easy to fake. If you can't use a student ID to buy a beer...then why would you be able to use one to vote?

The Federal Constitution has 3 Amendments that directly state who is protected and allowed to vote in Federal elections. Granted the original document does not State who can and can not vote. Amendments are part of the Constitution once passed and properly voted on. So there are 3 places in the Constitution that state who can legally vote.

What the Constitution does do, by virtue of the 14th, 15th and 19th Amendments, is set forth some parameters upon which a state cannot limit the voting franchise IF that state decides to offer a right to vote in its state constitution. In other words, a state can't formulate a constitution which says you can vote in a state or local election unless you're black, or a woman, etc. The same rule would apply to any federal elections as well.

States cannot prevent any citizen with a clean record from voting in federal elections. Period.

And it's obscene that once a person has served their time..their rights aren't restored in all 50 states.

Last edited:

With all due respect, Wry...

I'm in the bar business. The reason that we as an industry can't accept student ID's as proof of age enabling young people to purchase alcohol is because they are far too easy to fake. If you can't use a student ID to buy a beer...then why would you be able to use one to vote?

I tended bar in Grad School, students I.D.s were acceptable forms of proof then, I don't see why they would not be now. And, btw, the phony ones were so poorly done they were easy to spot. I once had a girl offer her mother's driver's license as her own, the picture at first glance was perfect, the fact that she was trying to pass for 39 with three friends all just 21 wasn't.

P.S. After reading my post I must admit when I walked the plank Nixon was President and no one had printers like the ones of today. I suppose fake student I.D.s of today are much better then in my day behind the bar. Yet, a good phony would seem to absolve the bar and employee of holding mens rea, and put the responsibility on the faker.

Last edited:
In Crawford v. Marion County Election Board (2008), the Court held that voter ID requirements did not preempt one’s Constitutional right to vote. It can also be argued the issue is moot given the fact that Federal law requires those with no ID be allowed to cast a provisional ballot in jurisdictions where an ID is required.

There is also the fact that instances of prosecuted voter fraud are statistically zero – it’s a non-issue. Given this fact it’s appropriate to question the motives of those to advocate a voter provide an ID before voting, when his name is clearly present on the registration document. Are advocates of voter ID merely ignorant of the fact that fraud is a non-issue or is there a political motive?

In Crawford v. Marion County Election Board (2008), the Court held that voter ID requirements did not preempt one’s Constitutional right to vote. It can also be argued the issue is moot given the fact that Federal law requires those with no ID be allowed to cast a provisional ballot in jurisdictions where an ID is required.

There is also the fact that instances of prosecuted voter fraud are statistically zero – it’s a non-issue. Given this fact it’s appropriate to question the motives of those to advocate a voter provide an ID before voting, when his name is clearly present on the registration document. Are advocates of voter ID merely ignorant of the fact that fraud is a non-issue or is there a political motive?

More of an issue should be that 41% of citizens in this country that are eligable to vote actually do.

Voting should be mandatory.

Good post. I believe there exists more than a political motive, I believe a criminal conspiracy exists to prevent voters likely to vote for a Democratic candidate from voting.

More of an issue should be that 41% of citizens in this country that are eligable to vote actually do.

Voting should be mandatory.

I don't support manditory voting; I do believe national elections ought to held on a weekend, and that the polls should all open and close at the same time, so voters on the West Coast and HI & AK are not influenced by early results from time zones in the East.

Constitution guarantees the right to vote - note to GOP voter suppressors.

People in tiny cities know each other. Sometimes for 80 years. Many don't have cars.

The constitution guarantees the right to vote.

Why don't Republicans just campaign on policy? Why scam? Why suppress? Why fight the constitution they claim to "love"?

Just campaign on your "policies". Unless you know your policies aren't "right". Just campaign on your policies. Show America why they should vote for Republicans. They don't need to screw over Americans to get votes, do they?

Didnt an elected republican official say its unamerican to get the poor to vote?

I mean think about hat for a second. It says EVERYTHING about that side really.

I guess you have never heard of an absentee ballot by mail. Ya don't need a car ya git.

I have voted naked, in the comfort of my bed. No driving involved.

:thup:

leaving a trail lika snail.

Must spread before I neg your ass again, asshole.

I wondered if I was the only one who read his rancid idiot post as you evidently did.

I shall attend to the neg, forthwith.

Good post! (Yours, that is.)

Forum List

Back