Constitution doesn’t mention health care

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Constitution doesn’t mention health care - Las Vegas Sun

I have asked my liberal friends, “If I buy my health care directly from my doctor, why would you require me to pay taxes to buy health care for other people?” They usually answer, “Because everyone has a right to health care, and we are all in this together.”

My question then is, “So was I born with an obligation to work to pay for someone else’s health care?” At this point, they will say something like, “You’re already paying for other people’s health care,” or, “That’s the wrong way to look at it,” or, “That sounds selfish,” or just “Yes.”

If health care is a right, then the government must provide for it, as it does national defense and public safety and a judicial system. If it is not, then government has no more business being involved in it than it has in grocery stores or hotels or automobiles. So is health care a right?

More at link..

I'd say that, if someone has a very communicable condition and can't afford treatment, giving them enough care to stop an epidemic is a defense expenditure.

That's why we have the CDC and health clinics.

Health care is not a right. Any more than home ownership is.

Who cares if its not in the Constitution?! Are you okay with families going bankrupt, with people (this one's for you BBD:) and children dying despite paying for health insurance because the insurance company drops their coverage due to a pre-existing condition of because the it eats into the multi-billion dollar insurance companies' profits? Where's the humanity, the compassion in allowing that to happen? Why is it all about money with you conservatives? WWJD?

CaféAuLait;1328903 said:

I have asked my liberal friends, “If I buy my health care directly from my doctor, why would you require me to pay taxes to buy health care for other people?” They usually answer, “Because everyone has a right to health care, and we are all in this together.”

My question then is, “So was I born with an obligation to work to pay for someone else’s health care?” At this point, they will say something like, “You’re already paying for other people’s health care,” or, “That’s the wrong way to look at it,” or, “That sounds selfish,” or just “Yes.”

If health care is a right, then the government must provide for it, as it does national defense and public safety and a judicial system. If it is not, then government has no more business being involved in it than it has in grocery stores or hotels or automobiles. So is health care a right?

More at link..

The Constitution also doesn't grant corporations the same status as individual citizens. The Constitution was written BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE.

That's why we have the CDC and health clinics.

Which cost the taxpayer's money, which means that we are in fact already paying for other people's healthcare.

(And no, that fact doesn't necessarily make healthcare a right. Nor did I ever state that it was or wasn't.)

CaféAuLait;1328903 said:

More at link..

The Constitution also doesn't grant corporations the same status as individual citizens.
Sounds like as good a reason to repeal the 14th Amendment as any.

The Constitution was written BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE.
That's the Gettysburg Address, not any document involved in the founding.

Who cares if its not in the Constitution?!
Maybe because the people usurping that document are the ones who swore an oath to uphold it??

But I guess little trifles like honesty, integrity, adherence to principle and character can go right down the shitter as long as you get yours, huh??

No, that's not it at all, Dude. Times change. Why shouldn't we change with them? I mean, c'mon! How would it feel to know that you paid tens maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars to you health insurance provider only to be dropped or not treated for a fatal disease or condition simply because it eats into the companies profits? What if that happened to your wife or kids? I mean, that's inhumane!

Not all of our laws and rights are covered in the Constitution i.e. the Clean Air Act, the Right to Privacy, the Wilderness Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.

I don't see what that has to do with honest, integrity, or adherence to principle or character? Obama said he would reform health care, and he's trying to do it. I would say the program that the Whitehouse and the Dems are pushing is more dishonest, lacks integrity and adherence to principle and character because it doesn't really ensure healthcare universally. But, they are politicians so what can you expect?!

I think this has to do more with the conflicting philosophies of a static, unchanging Constitution and a living Constitution subject to interpretation as times change.

CaféAuLait;1328903 said:

More at link..

I didnt read your link just so you know.

However, I agree that NO WHERE in the constitution does it say that the government is responsible for giving you health care. It also doesn't say that the government is responsible for giving us life liberty or hapiness....it does state that we all have the right to persue those things but it in NO WAY makes the government responsible for providing them.

the federal government needs to handle social security properly before they try to expand into things like the auto industry, industrial production, and health care.

Thats my challenge to all govt officials....show us you can handle social security effectively and then we can discuss them handling health care.

...I agree that NO WHERE in the constitution does it say that the government is responsible for giving you health care. It also doesn't say that the government is responsible for giving us life liberty or hapiness....it does state that we all have the right to persue those things but it in NO WAY makes the government responsible for providing them.
Then again, the Constitution does say that the government is responsible for "provid[ing] for the common defense" and "promot[ing] the general welfare." I've already shown how a certain basic level of healthcare applies to the former.

CaféAuLait;1328903 said:

More at link..

The Constitution also doesn't grant corporations the same status as individual citizens.
Sounds like as good a reason to repeal the 14th Amendment as any.

The Constitution was written BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE.
That's the Gettysburg Address, not any document involved in the founding.

Oh, sorry, scuse me all to hell.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Who cares if its not in the Constitution?!
Maybe because the people usurping that document are the ones who swore an oath to uphold it??

But I guess little trifles like honesty, integrity, adherence to principle and character can go right down the shitter as long as you get yours, huh??

No, that's not it at all, Dude. Times change. Why shouldn't we change with them? I mean, c'mon! How would it feel to know that you paid tens maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars to you health insurance provider only to be dropped or not treated for a fatal disease or condition simply because it eats into the companies profits? What if that happened to your wife or kids? I mean, that's inhumane!

Not all of our laws and rights are covered in the Constitution i.e. the Clean Air Act, the Right to Privacy, the Wilderness Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.

I don't see what that has to do with honest, integrity, or adherence to principle or character? Obama said he would reform health care, and he's trying to do it. I would say the program that the Whitehouse and the Dems are pushing is more dishonest, lacks integrity and adherence to principle and character because it doesn't really ensure healthcare universally. But, they are politicians so what can you expect?!

I think this has to do more with the conflicting philosophies of a static, unchanging Constitution and a living Constitution subject to interpretation as times change.
Times may change, but the principles of de jure government limiting itself to protecting the citizenry against aggression and fraud remain the same. Becoming the aggressor is completely counter to adherence to that principle.

As for what Little Lord Obammy promised, if it's not in Article II of the Constitution he swore an oath to preserve and protect, then he's promising that which exceeds the scope of his lawful authority.

And don't even give me any of that idiotic "living Constitution" bullshit. "Living rules" are in fact no rules at all....Talk about anarchy.

But, again, as long as those usurpations and exceeding of proper authority meet with your approval, it's all good.

Last edited:
...I agree that NO WHERE in the constitution does it say that the government is responsible for giving you health care. It also doesn't say that the government is responsible for giving us life liberty or hapiness....it does state that we all have the right to persue those things but it in NO WAY makes the government responsible for providing them.
Then again, the Constitution does say that the government is responsible for "provid[ing] for the common defense" and "promot[ing] the general welfare." I've already shown how a certain basic level of healthcare applies to the former.

I'm sure if the framers had any idea that by the 21st Century, "we the people" would be plagued with a host of new diseases, treatments that extend our lifespans way beyond theirs, that we would be maiming ourselves on superhighways and a myriad of other unforeseen events that need medical treatment, they would have been more specific as to the meaning of "general welfare." They got specific over "common defense" because we had just fought for our independence and they were determined we should be well armed from then on against invading forces. I don't think the framers believed that the family unit would dissipate to the point where a person's "general welfare" wasn't basically taken care of by family and community.

As you so adeptly pointed out it is responsible for providing for the common defense and promoting the general welfare.

Promoting is not the same as providing. yes the govt can advocate for universal health care but they are not allowed to provide for it as they are for the common defence. At least not in the language you quoted.

I'm sure if the framers had any idea that by the 21st Century, "we the people" would be plagued with a host of new diseases, treatments that extend our lifespans way beyond theirs, that we would be maiming ourselves on superhighways and a myriad of other unforeseen events that need medical treatment, they would have been more specific as to the meaning of "general welfare." They got specific over "common defense" because we had just fought for our independence and they were determined we should be well armed from then on against invading forces. I don't think the framers believed that the family unit would dissipate to the point where a person's "general welfare" wasn't basically taken care of by family and community.
Horseshit.

Madison on the "General Welfare" of America: His Consistent Constitutional Vision (Review)

Horseshit.

Madison on the "General Welfare" of America: His Consistent Constitutional Vision*(Review)

Horseshit? Do you channel Madison and Jefferson? How do you KNOW what they would believe TODAY? Which is what I'm talking about. They certainly weren't stupid, and if the world in the 1700's looked like it does today, do you seriously believe The Constitution wouldn't have had better defined conditions?

Forum List

Back