Conservatives! You guys Rock! You got what you wanted! Farms, however, now need help!

One issue not raised is the fact that the farmers paid them & thats it. If an American were to do the work, they'd have to make the standard tax-deductions from the checks.

The farmer does not pay with check he pays with cash how do you think illegals do not have to pay taxes?

They pay lots of taxes wehn they purchase things.

They make so little they would pay no income taxes anyway

They would pay SS and Medicare, and the employers would pay unemployment. Then you have state income taxes in many states which go much lower than federal taxes.

Thanks for proving you know nothing about taxes.

FYI, anyone who buys anything in Texas and keeps his receipts can get a refund on sales taxes if he tells them he takes his purchases into Mexico.

The only problem is they are not willing to do this work

Why would they be? They have a welfare state to take care of them, brought to us by people like you who believe we should all get something for nothing.
It's stooping over all day picking vegetables in 100 degree temperatures that's keeping people out of the fields. Most Americans aren't physically fit enough to do this work.

I have done the work, and it is fucking hard. I would rather stand in a sewer all day and count the turds that float by. Give me a choice between starvation and farm work and see how fast I go back out to the fields.

One issue not raised is the fact that the farmers paid them & thats it. If an American were to do the work, they'd have to make the standard tax-deductions from the checks.

The farmer does not pay with check he pays with cash how do you think illegals do not have to pay taxes?
It doesn't matter how they pay, cash or check. The farmer is required to withhold taxes and report it to the government. Most legal migrants are able to get a tax refund because of their low income. Illegals rarely file for refunds.

Are you aware that you can claim an exemption from paying withholding taxes if you make less than a certain amount. All the farmer has to do is is claim that his workers filed as exempt, or even just pay them as contractors.

No withholding due.

Amazing. A thread advocating for using and abusing illegal immigrants. Somehow hispanics are supposed to react positively to the left who want to keep them being used and abused. I don't think it will turn out as well as they think in the end.

There will be plenty of people who will pick crops. People need jobs. It's time the people humble themselves and do whats necessary.

Where are all the posters that were so down on illegal immigration!

You guys gotta help these poor farmers.

Or fucking pay higher food prices. Because of you.

So I hope you assholes don't complain.

This is one of those issues where the so-called liberals put their hypocrisy on display for everyone to see. You people are mainly the ones bitching about people being paid a "living" wage by those "greedy" corporations, while at the same time giving a complete pass to wealthy farmers and actually encouraging their exploitation of illegal aliens for slave labor just so you can have a cheap head of lettuce.

You have no credibility on this topic. Go back and play in your sandbox.

Naw.

You fucks are the one that wouldn't even let Bush's "Guest worker" program, which was a smart way to get people willing to do that type of work for minimum wage while giving them a path toward citizen, to get through Congress. There are jobs, Americans, are not willing to do for minimum wage. As a former business owner..I KNOW THIS.

You guys are all about navitist bullshit. Which basically means you have no fucking idea about what this country was and is about. It's an immigrant nation. Started that way.

Bone up on history chief.

Amazing. A thread advocating for using and abusing illegal immigrants. Somehow hispanics are supposed to react positively to the left who want to keep them being used and abused. I don't think it will turn out as well as they think in the end.

There will be plenty of people who will pick crops. People need jobs. It's time the people humble themselves and do whats necessary.

George Orwell would be shocked that his vision has come to fruition in the form of American Conservatism.

It's just the blathering of the hysterical left. Pity them. Stupid is deserving of pity.

George Orwell would be shocked that his vision has come to fruition in the form of American Conservatism.

You're becoming quite the fool, Sallow. Shame on you.

I'm on the fence about this. I have often asked the question, "who will pick the tomatoes"? There are few people willing to work long hours in the hot sun. Why can't they get work visas?

How about this idea? In industries that have difficulty finding labor (farming, meat packing plants, commercial fishing), anyone employed with legitimate identification (not phony papers) and a clean criminal history can get an "emergency visa" good for one year and renewable annually. This "pass" must be carried at all times (which is already law) and anyone picked up without a "pass" is immediately deported. Win/win for employers and those "hard working Mexicans". Lose/lose for the freeloaders and criminals.

I spoke with a guy who was busted for hiring illegals on his commercial fishing boats. Despite paying a huge fine, he said it was a blessing in disguise. The people at ICE put him in touch with a Russian employment agency and sent him some outstanding workers. There are people all over the world willing to do the "jobs Americans won't do". These companies just need to get in touch with the right people.

I'd like to see people on public assistance work for their check. But that will never happen.

The article fails to say how much these farmers are paying per hour for this labor. The closest the article comes to saying what the wages are is that "these crops pay low piece wages" You sound like you are anti GOP so can I assume you are somewhat liberal? Do you think it is right for the farmers to pay crap lower than minimum wages to farm help so you can enjoy a 50cent peach just because the worker is illegal? Perhaps without the illegals to do the work for half price the farmers will have to now actually pay for the service they want to hire?

All of FDR Labor laws must be repealed.

The only problem is they are not willing to do this work

Why would they be? They have a welfare state to take care of them, brought to us by people like you who believe we should all get something for nothing.
It's stooping over all day picking vegetables in 100 degree temperatures that's keeping people out of the fields. Most Americans aren't physically fit enough to do this work.

neither are the Mexicans.....but this is something that they are used to doing.....i knew a guy whose Family came up every year with the Migrants to work the fields up here......they dont enjoy doing this in 100 degree heat.....but its something they do and are used to doing it......so they can do it....even the fat ones....

Yep, work for starvation wages, cheat, steal, murder, or whatever is necessarily just like they do in 3rd world countries.
$12 per hour in a rural GA community is not starvation wages.

Migrant Farm Workers are not Paid By the hour there Braniac, They are usually paid by the Bushel, and can Make 12 Bucks an Hour, but they have to break their Backs to do so. The Vast majority Of Illegals who work on Farms in this Country, Do it for Wages that are not even legal. The Dirty Little Secret that Libs want to Ignore and allow to keep happening.

here is a California Growers artical on pay and Conditions....

U.S. Immigration and Labor: Laws Designed for Exploitation
Historically, immigration and labor laws have worked hand-in-hand to systematically violate the rights of agricultural laborers. To overcome labor shortages in 1917, the U.S. Department of Labor allowed farmers to recruit Mexican farmworkers into the U.S. without the standard head tax and literacy tests.

Labor shortages caused by World War II resulted in the 1942 U.S./Mexico Bracero Program. Bracero contracts ranged from one to six months, and employers were required to provide food and housing, pay local wage rates, cover medical expenses, and provide transportation between Mexico and the farm. (17) These clauses, however, were rarely enforced and growers routinely exploited Braceros by shorting the hours they worked or changing the rate of pay once the work was completed.

By the early 1960s, farmworkers argued that the Bracero Program lowered wages by producing a surplus of workers. Farm labor organizers accused growers of consistently using Braceros as strike-breakers -- a tactic specifically prohibited by the legislation -- while Braceros who organized strikes were often deported. (18) In 1964, amid heavy pressure, the Bracero Program was terminated.

Similar to the Bracero program, the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act created the H-2A visa category for "other temporary workers," allowing agricultural employers to recruit workers from other countries. (19) Under the H-2A program, U.S. employers, foreign workers, and their governments sign working contracts, thereby eliminating the U.S. government's involvement and liability. H-2A Program migrant workers are not protected under the 1983 Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, the main federal legislation regulating farmworker labor. (20) The fact that they do not have the right to unionize and bargain collectively may help explain why the H-2A program is expanding rapidly. In North Carolina, the number of H2A guest workers expanded from just 168 in 1989 to 10,500 farmworkers by 1998-an increase of 6,250 percent. (21)

Dolores Huerta, co-founder of the United Farm Workers Union of America (UFW), believes working conditions for California farmworkers have improved over the past 30 years. California state law now mandates access to faucets, toilets, and cold drinking water, (22) although even these basic laws are seldom enforced. Decreasing farmworker union membership has paralleled the decline of America's unions. Today fewer than 10 percent of all strawberry pickers are unionized. (23)

I'm on the fence about this. I have often asked the question, "who will pick the tomatoes"? There are few people willing to work long hours in the hot sun. Why can't they get work visas?

How about this idea? In industries that have difficulty finding labor (farming, meat packing plants, commercial fishing), anyone employed with legitimate identification (not phony papers) and a clean criminal history can get an "emergency visa" good for one year and renewable annually. This "pass" must be carried at all times (which is already law) and anyone picked up without a "pass" is immediately deported. Win/win for employers and those "hard working Mexicans". Lose/lose for the freeloaders and criminals.

I spoke with a guy who was busted for hiring illegals on his commercial fishing boats. Despite paying a huge fine, he said it was a blessing in disguise. The people at ICE put him in touch with a Russian employment agency and sent him some outstanding workers. There are people all over the world willing to do the "jobs Americans won't do". These companies just need to get in touch with the right people.

I'd like to see people on public assistance work for their check. But that will never happen.

Common sense. I like it. :clap2:

The article fails to say how much these farmers are paying per hour for this labor. The closest the article comes to saying what the wages are is that "these crops pay low piece wages" You sound like you are anti GOP so can I assume you are somewhat liberal? Do you think it is right for the farmers to pay crap lower than minimum wages to farm help so you can enjoy a 50cent peach just because the worker is illegal? Perhaps without the illegals to do the work for half price the farmers will have to now actually pay for the service they want to hire?

All of FDR Labor laws must be repealed.

Yay to kids losing limbs in factories and on farms!

Tough love..man..tough love.

Never thought anyone would blame another person for enforcing the law.

You Howler monkeys are never satisfied.

How about you Howlers demand the welfare lifers get off thier dead asses?

This would be funny..before Clinton.

Here's an update.

Welfare runs out after 3 years.

The U.S. Department of Labor has awarded nearly $2.5 million to an Arizona organization to help combat chronic unemployment and underemployment among migrant and seasonal farmworkers.

In Arizona, Portable Practical Educational Preparation Inc. was awarded $2.1 million to help eligible workers improve their agricultural job skills, and to help them train for careers in emerging industries and occupations that offer higher wages and stable employment.

The organization's micro business and housing development arm was awarded $355,000 to provide permanent housing assistance and temporary and emergency housing assistance to farmworkers.

The awards are part of more than $78 million that will go to 52 organizations nationwide to provide training, employment and support services for farmworkers and their families. An additional $5.7 million will go to 16 organizations across the U.S. to provide temporary or permanent housing assistance.

Read more: Ariz. farmworkers to get $2.5M in jobless aid
and now we see the REAL reason. Why are we providing benefits for migrant workers? I mean besides dumbassed democratics and thier stupid assed policies?

Migrant workers doesn't mean "illegal".

The children of migrant workers often don't attend school.

Many times these people don't have access to medical care and so they can spread disease.

And finally,

Helping other Americans is the American thing to do.

Right wingers don't understand that. The Republican LT. Gov of South Carolina says poor people are like animals. Feed them and they'll "breed". He's only voicing "GOP" sentiments.

cut off thier food stamps and they'll work well enough.

now, maybe you can tell us what NC laws were passed that would discourage legal migrant workers from coming here to work.

The Georgia law, HB 87, which does not take effect until July 1, already has had an effect as farm workers are staying away for fear of racial profiling. Workers caught with phony documents could be fined up to $250,000 and get 15 years in prison — the same sentence for murder in Georgia.

---------

Workers will stay away from the entire area.

Well that's a lie. Murderers here can get up to the death penalty. Not up to 15 years in prison.

And why are you for people breaking the law? More proof that you are a loon.

Not all murderers automatically get the "death penalty".

Forum List

Back