Conservatives simply don't know economics

The Derp

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2017
Another 'Oops' Moment? Rick Perry Quote on Supply and Demand Mocked

Energy Secretary Rick Perry has a reputation for verbal gaffes, so the internet pounced on his latest remarks.

In a visit to a coal-fired power plant in West Virginia, the former Texas governor and two-time presidential candidate appeared to misstate a fundamental economic principle.

“Here’s a little economics lesson: supply and demand. You put the supply out there and the demand will follow,” Perry said, according to a reporter on the scene.

What an idiot. Must be why there's an oversupply of coal in the world.

BTW - he got a "D" in "Principles of Economics" while at Texas A&M. It shows.

Energy Secretary Rick Perry has a reputation for verbal gaffes, so the internet pounced on his latest remarks.

In a visit to a coal-fired power plant in West Virginia, the former Texas governor and two-time presidential candidate appeared to misstate a fundamental economic principle.

“Here’s a little economics lesson: supply and demand. You put the supply out there and the demand will follow,” Perry said, according to a reporter on the scene.

The thought processes of hardcore partisan ideologues on both ends of the spectrum appear to be distorted, and their ideologies generally render them inflexible and incurious.

So trying to discuss something has dense, broad and complicated as economics with many of them, is typically a waste of time. As it is with many other issues.

/---- 1.) One Conservative does not represent all Conservative, unless Maxine Waters represents all Democrats.
2.) There was no DEMAND for iphone before Jobs launched it in 2007. But I guess you know more than Steve Jobs who said: “A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” (Meaning demand follows supply.)

The thought processes of hardcore partisan ideologues on both ends of the spectrum appear to be distorted, and their ideologies generally render them inflexible and incurious.

So trying to discuss something has dense, broad and complicated as economics with many of them, is typically a waste of time. As it is with many other issues.

I don't think they are equal.

I don't often see liberals try to claim that spending doesn't contribute to deficits, yet on the right self-financing tax cuts is pretty much a given.

There is disproportionate amount of ignorance, magical thinking and dogma on the right when it comes to economics.

This doesn't prove that conservatives don't understand economics. It proves that Rick Perry doesn't understand economics.

Conservatives probably understand economics better than liberals.

I think that is false equivalency.

I don't often see liberals try to claim that spending doesn't contribute to deficits, yet on the right self-financing tax cuts is pretty much a given.

There is disproportionate amount of magical thinking and dogma on the right when it comes to economics.
/---- It costs nothing to let people keep more of their own money. The Gubmint needs to live within their means like everyone else.

There is disproportionate amount of ignorance, magical thinking and dogma on the right when it comes to economics.

For progressives the issue is they don't CARE that excess spending leads to deficits, which leads to borrowing, which leads to kicking the can down the road.

The Left has their own weaknesses when it comes to economics. They're just simplistic in other areas.

Either way, it's often a wasted exercise. It's my profession. I don't argue with the auto mechanic when he fixes my car, because I don't know shit about cars.

The Left has their own weaknesses when it comes to economics. They're just simplistic in other areas.

Either way, it's often a wasted exercise. It's my profession. I don't argue with the auto mechanic when he fixes my car, because I don't know shit about cars.

but you should know enough that when you bring the car in for an oil change, that he shouldn't re-build the engine instead.

but you should know enough that when you bring the car in for an oil change, that he shouldn't re-build the engine instead.
Uh oh...

For progressives the issue is they don't CARE that excess spending leads to deficits, which leads to borrowing, which leads to kicking the can down the road.

Irrelevant, we are talking about understanding economics.

You can understand economics that spending increases deficits and still elect to spend knowing that.

But on the right there is fundamental REJECTION that tax cuts increase deficits, rejection of sound economics.

/---- Many mechanics have put their kids through college on customers like you. Local High Schools and Community Colleges teach courses on basic auto mechanics and maintenance. You should take one.

You can understand economics that spending increases deficits and still elect to spend knowing that.

But on the right there is fundamental REJECTION that tax cuts increase deficits, rejection of sound economics.

You do know that tax increases can also increase deficits if the people decide it's not worth sticking around to pay the additional taxes, right?

So you completely deny the concept of increased commerce leading to increase tax revenue with lower rates?

But that's not responding to what I said. Never said that there are not "weaknesses" the left, What i said what that it's much more common on the right.

/---- We fundamentally reject it because it's untrue.
Tax Cuts Increase Federal Revenues
But you will fundamentally reject the facts:
In 1980, the last year before the tax cuts, tax revenues were $956 billion (in constant 1996 dollars).

Revenues exceeded that 1980 level in eight of the next 10 years. Annual revenues over the next decade averaged $102 billion above their 1980 level (in constant 1996 dollars).

Any increase in budget deficits was therefore the result of spending increases rather than tax cut-induced revenue decreases.

But that's not responding to what I said.

The right has its own share of economic retardation, but the left's belief that the government can control the economy to produce better output is far worse.

You do know that tax increases can also increase deficits if the people decide it's not worth sticking around to pay the additional taxes, right?

So you completely deny the concept of increased commerce leading to increase tax revenue with lower rates?

Deflection. Deflection. Deflection.

This is what happens when you try to have a sane discussion with the righty on tax policy. They can't admit you are right because they have their tax-cut wagon well hitched and they can't directly address what you say, so they run off form the general to some very specific circumstances where a tax-cut maybe, possibly, theoretically can pay for itself.

Thats not how it works - you start with sound general principles and then PROVE outstanding exceptions with outstanding evidence of a specific case.

/---- 1.) One Conservative does not represent all Conservative, unless Maxine Waters represents all Democrats.

But all Conservatives believe what he believes. The "if you build it, they will come" theory of economics. Only problem is, this isn't the movies and what might work for ghostly ballplayers doesn't work for consumers

2.) There was no DEMAND for iphone before Jobs launched it in 2007. But I guess you know more than Steve Jobs who said: “A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” (Meaning demand follows supply.)

Ummm, there was demand for cell phones, though. And Apple wasn't the first company to produce a smart phone. If demand followed supply, how do you explain the oversupply of coal?

This doesn't prove that conservatives don't understand economics. It proves that Rick Perry doesn't understand economics.

But the central principle of what Perry said is supply-side economics which is what Conservatives all believe, correct? So how is what Rick Perry said indicative of something different of the same principle?

Conservatives probably understand economics better than liberals.

The economy over the last 37 years has done better with Democratic Presidents than Conservative ones.

Forum List

Back