Conservatives see liberal bias in class - and mobilize

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA

By G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor

Concerned that public schools are becoming sites of liberal indoctrination, activists have generated a wave of efforts to limit what teachers may discuss and to bring more conservative views into the classroom.

After all, they say, if related campaigns can help rein in doctrinaire faculty on college campuses, why not in K-12 education as well?

So far this year, at least 14 state legislatures have considered bills aimed at colleges that would restrict professors and establish grievance procedures for students who perceive political bias in teaching. None have become law, but the movement has momentum: Four state universities in Colorado, for instance, adopted the principles under legislative pressure in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/2005060...3FXRySs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MTQ3MTFjBHNlYwN0cw--

gop_jeff said:

By G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor

Concerned that public schools are becoming sites of liberal indoctrination, activists have generated a wave of efforts to limit what teachers may discuss and to bring more conservative views into the classroom.

After all, they say, if related campaigns can help rein in doctrinaire faculty on college campuses, why not in K-12 education as well?

So far this year, at least 14 state legislatures have considered bills aimed at colleges that would restrict professors and establish grievance procedures for students who perceive political bias in teaching. None have become law, but the movement has momentum: Four state universities in Colorado, for instance, adopted the principles under legislative pressure in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/2005060...3FXRySs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MTQ3MTFjBHNlYwN0cw--

It's time to take back our children!

Next in line is destroy the NEA as it exists.

OUR children?!?!?! Thanks for treating us like property... stop compounding the problem by making it into a fight over something you don't have. We don't belong to anyone, and besides... we grow into conservatism, baby steps man, baby steps.

JohnGalt said:
OUR children?!?!?! Thanks for treating us like property... stop compounding the problem by making it into a fight over something you don't have. We don't belong to anyone, and besides... we grow into conservatism, baby steps man, baby steps.

so it will be ok with you if we teach conservative philosophy in grammar school then?

I would be happy if they actually taught anything in schools these days. Instead they tell kids that they're wonderful and perfect just as they are, and you deserve all the world has to offer...Bullshit.

Teach the basics...Math...science...history...literature...grammar (How many current highschool grads can parse a sentence)...logic and rhetoric...Foreign languages and latin...philosophy...Go back to teaching the classical curriculum and holding the kids accountable for it so they have the tools they need to make it in the world. Get rid of the standardized tests that require nothing more than memorize-regurgitate-forget mentality that ill serves anyone. Get rid of the top heavy bureaucracies that make up most school districts and teacher's unions and put the money in the classrooms. Public education was once a boon to this nation...now it's become a joke. It's time to take it, and our children's futures, seriously again.

It would be ok with me if we taught grammar in the first place... come on, my little brother is half as literate as I was at his age

dang, speak of the devil... brb peeps...some little black gangsta wannabe from up the street just stole my little brother's bike and now he's crying for vengence. WOW.

Bullypulpit said:
I would be happy if they actually taught anything in schools these days. Instead they tell kids that they're wonderful and perfect just as they are, and you deserve all the world has to offer...Bullshit.

Teach the basics...Math...science...history...literature...grammar (How many current highschool grads can parse a sentence)...logic and rhetoric...Foreign languages and latin...philosophy...Go back to teaching the classical curriculum and holding the kids accountable for it so they have the tools they need to make it in the world. Get rid of the standardized tests that require nothing more than memorize-regurgitate-forget mentality that ill serves anyone. Get rid of the top heavy bureaucracies that make up most school districts and teacher's unions and put the money in the classrooms. Public education was once a boon to this nation...now it's become a joke. It's time to take it, and our children's futures, seriously again.

Aside from getting rid of standardized tests, which I think could be a useful tool, we totally agree about something!!! Next thing you know, Hillary Clinton and Newt Gingrch will join together about something! :D

Bullypulpit said:

i agree with this? with bully?! well yes .... :bow2:

JohnGalt said:
It would be ok with me if we taught grammar in the first place... come on, my little brother is half as literate as I was at his age

dang, speak of the devil... brb peeps...some little black gangsta wannabe from up the street just stole my little brother's bike and now he's crying for vengence. WOW.

I really feel sorry for your brother.

Meh, I called my dad and He'll be home shortly to take care of it. He could better than I can any day...

And Bully. HELL YES! The system is in shambles, when I have time I will go in depth on how the Georgia education system really ruined my life. I get really worked up over this, so it's gonna be a long thread when I start it.

Forum List

Back