Conservatives secretly meet to stop Romney

It won't matter

Once the real Republicans start voting, Romney will have the nomination by February

YOu know what, I haven't talked to one Republican yet who is thrilled with the prospect of voting for Romney.

It's mostly, "Yeah, if he's the nominee I'll vote for him because he's not Obama."

Sad but true

I have never seen anyone with a Romney sign on their lawn

Last edited:
Just for the record, this is incorrect.

5. Oh...one more thing. Was McCain the choice of conservatives?
Knowing you, Jimmy, you are probably unaware that he certainly was
not.
But he got 3 million more conservative votes than Bush did, and a higher
percentage of conservative votes than Reagan did against Carter.
This from exit polls.

This is simply not true. Amongst self- identified conservatives, Bush got 84% of the vote in 2004 compared to McCain's 78%.

Bush also got 45% of the moderate vote to McCain's 39%. So much for the tired canard about how we need to nominate a moderate.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Now, if you want to compare 2008 to 2000, you could maybe find that 3 million figure. But only about 100 million voters participated in the 2000 election, while the number was closer to 120 million in 2008.

Here's another secret.....Obama is an incompetent, clueless, failure. We could nominate anyone and he or she will have a very good chance of winning.

It won't matter

Once the real Republicans start voting, Romney will have the nomination by February

YOu know what, I haven't talked to one Republican yet who is thrilled with the prospect of voting for Romney.

It's mostly, "Yeah, if he's the nominee I'll vote for him because he's not Obama."

Remember back in '04 when Sen. Kerry ran as "Not Bush"?

Yes, and I expect the same result if we run Romney as the "not Obama".

Except instead of swiftboating Kerry over Vietnam, they'll swiftboat him over AmPad.

Here's another secret.....Obama is an incompetent, clueless, failure. We could nominate anyone and he or she will have a very good chance of winning.

Not necessarily.

Obama still polls pretty well against all these guys.

He also has the following advantages-

Incumbancy.

He's more likable as a person than anyone the GOP has.

He will have hundreds of millions while the GOP is scraping for funds after a bruising nomination fight. (Which is why I expect the Beltway establishment is trying to rate the game in Romney's favor.)

His key constituencies- Minorities and the young- have grown as a percentage of the voting demographics while whites and older voters have shrunk.

Now, I think that if he wins, it will because he will have run a negative campaign and he will be even more inept in his second term than his first, because second terms are always less fun than first terms.

But I've vote for Republicans in every election since 1980, and of the leading 8, there are six I probably would never vote for. The only two I'm still considering are Gingrich and Perry.

Forum List

Back