"conservatives" Prepping To Filibuster????

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010

"Furious that Obama paid no electoral price for Benghazi, Republicans are threatening to filibuster his presumed secretary of state nominee, Susan Rice, as a scapegoat.

I want to see this Rice fight. I want to see McCain stand up there and filibuster the choice of the president for secretary of state right after that president won a not-really-close-at-all reelection bid in a year when the Republicans thought they were going to recapture the White House.

“When President Clinton was reelected for his second term, I didn’t share the policy views of some of the officials he nominated, but I do not recall going through protracted battles such as this,” said a senator on Jan. 26, 2005. “We all have varying policy views, but the president, in my view, has a clear right to put into place the team he believes will serve him best.”

Yep, that was McCain speaking in behalf of Condi Rice’s nomination."

john-mccain-757666.jpg

Last edited:
Granny says, "Dat's right - we send `em up there to get things done, not to flap dey's jaws...
:clap2:
Senate OKs modest restrictions on filibusters
Jan 24,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- The tradition-laden Senate voted Thursday to modestly curb filibusters, using a bipartisan consensus rare in today's hyper-partisan climate to make it a bit harder but not impossible for outnumbered senators to sink bills and nominations.
The rules changes would reduce yet not eliminate the number of times opponents - usually minority-party Republicans these days - can use filibusters, procedural tactics which can derail legislation and which can be stopped only by the votes of 60 of the 100 senators. In return, the majority party - Democrats today - would have to allow two minority amendments on bills, a response to Republican complaints that Democrats often prevent them from offering any amendments at all. The new procedures also would limit the time spent debating some bills and nominations, allowing some to be completed in hours that could otherwise take a day or more.

The changes were broken into two pieces and approved by votes of 78-16 and 86-9. In both roll calls, Republican opponents were joined by Sen. Bernie Sanders, a Vermont independent who usually sides with Democrats. Many of the GOP "no" votes came from tea party-backed senators like Sens. Mike Lee, R-Utah; Rand Paul, R-Ky.; and Marco Rubio, R-Fla. The two votes and a brief debate took less than an hour, impressively quick for the Senate. They came after a more typical day that featured a sprinkling of senators' speeches and long periods when the Senate chamber idled with no one talking, while private negotiations off the floor nailed down final details.

President Barack Obama said the Senate action would help his agenda in Congress. "At a time when we face critical decisions on a whole range of issues - from preventing further gun violence, to reforming our broken immigration system, to getting our fiscal house in order and creating good paying jobs - we cannot afford unnecessary obstruction. And I am hopeful that today's bipartisan agreement will pave the way for the Senate to take meaningful action in the days and weeks ahead," Obama said in a written statement.

The pact leaves the Senate's minority party with far more power than it has in the House, where rules let a united majority party easily muscle through its priorities. It also falls short of changes Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had been threatening to ram through using the 55 votes Democrats have, a technique nicknamed the "nuclear option" because it is considered likely to produce harsh GOP retaliation that could grind work to a virtual halt. "I'm glad cooler heads have prevailed here once again, and those who were clamoring for the nuclear option, most of whom have never served a day of their lives in the minority, didn't prevail," said McConnell, who worked out the agreement with Reid. He added that Republicans felt rules changes were not needed, merely a willingness by both parties to allow "vigorous debate and a robust amendment process."

Reid said the changes would increase Senate efficiency while protecting lawmakers in the minority party, warning that he would consider future changes if Thursday's package didn't do enough. "We were elected to get things done for the middle class - not waste time with endless stalling tactics that cause even bills with broad bipartisan support to languish for weeks," Reid said.

MORE

"Furious that Obama paid no electoral price for Benghazi, Republicans are threatening to filibuster his presumed secretary of state nominee, Susan Rice, as a scapegoat.

I want to see this Rice fight. I want to see McCain stand up there and filibuster the choice of the president for secretary of state right after that president won a not-really-close-at-all reelection bid in a year when the Republicans thought they were going to recapture the White House.

“When President Clinton was reelected for his second term, I didn’t share the policy views of some of the officials he nominated, but I do not recall going through protracted battles such as this,” said a senator on Jan. 26, 2005. “We all have varying policy views, but the president, in my view, has a clear right to put into place the team he believes will serve him best.”

Yep, that was McCain speaking in behalf of Condi Rice’s nomination."

john-mccain-757666.jpg

Hell, with a little makeup and hair dye, we could make another Godfather movie!

New Topics

Forum List

Back