Conservatives out of touch with people?

Well that' pretty much what President Obama suggested in the State of the Union speech. Let's call a truce on what has already been done and go forward civilly hand in hand with spending frozen at present levels. Meaning, of course, at the levels that have already done the damage and without correcting any of the problems that have generated a runaway deficit and debt.

To any conservative this is not acceptable.

I submit that the vast majority of Americans with a clue are more conservative than not--that would include most of mainstream Americans. So it's pretty hard to acknowledge that and say that conservatives are out of touch with the people since most of the people are at least somewhat conservative.

Then there is the political class who looks to the federal government to solve all of societies ills and who blame conservatives for all the ills of society.

Which is out of touch? Hmmmm.

Fact is the majority of Americans are in debt. Real conservatives don't believe in debt, or so many self defined conservatives suggest. I submit most of the conservatives who post on this MB have debt, likely you too, Foxfyre.
Faux conservatives, the type who post here ad nauseaum, are easy to identify. They wear their values in each post they submit - avarice, bigotry and callous disregard for others.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay everybody who thinks Wry might be right here repeat after me:

Everything good, positive, or useful in this country has been accomplished by big government so long as liberals were in charge.

Everything bad, ugly, hateful, uncivil, cruel, selfish, greedy, counterproductive, and wrong in this country has been accomplished by conservatives.

If you say it often enough you can believe it too.

You know Wry, I get really tired of being accused of being the devil himself over and over and over by the likes of you.

I have been deeply in uncollateralized debt in the past to the point I could have legally declared bankruptcy. I didn't. I did without a few needs and a lot of wants for a long time, but I dug myself out of it. I didn't expect anybody else to do that for me--certainly not the government--and nobody did. And I now know not to do the things that put me in debt and I've learned from experience to avoid pitfalls that generally produce unintended negative consequences.

Right now the only 'debt' I have is a modest mortgage on our house and that isn't really a debt as the payments get made on time including interest and the house has appreciated in value almost as much as what we initially paid for it. The mortgage company doesn't look at it as a debt we owe them but rather as an investment they made. And it has been good for both parties.

The uncollaterized debts our government is forcing on us is quite a different matter.

Conservatives out of touch with people?

Naah everyone knows that what those out of work people want the most is tax cuts, no gay marriage, and no Medicaid.

So if the people get out of touch with good and true principles, that means we should ignore them?

Not really understanding that logic.

Yep republicans in KY are concerned about education.

the KY state senate is something like 22 republicans and 15 dems.

Kentucky Senate committee advances bill to teach Bible classes in public schools

6:29 PM, Feb. 3, 2011
FRANKFORT, Ky. — Public schools would be allowed to teach Bible classes under a bill making its way through the Kentucky legislature.

The Senate Education Committee approved the measure on Thursday, sending it to the full Senate for consideration.
A similar measure overwhelmingly passed in the Senate last year but died in the House.
Under the Kentucky proposal, Bible courses would be offered as electives, meaning students could decide whether to take them.
The legislation is Senate Bill 56.
Kentucky Senate committee advances bill to teach Bible classes in public schools | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Social issues are the great distractor for the corporate republicans. It's all they can do, their policies are only for the wealthy and the corporations and if focused on too strongly would only show them for the tools they are. Long live the unimportant, it keeps the electorate in check and often happy.

"'Practical' politics, it is held, calls for policies that appeal to the fortunate. The poor do not vote; the alert politician bids for the comfortable and the rich. This would be politically foolish for the Democratic Party; those whose primary concern is to protect their income, their capital and their business interest will always vote for the party that most strongly affirms its service to their pecuniary well-being. This is and has always been the republicans. The Democrats have no future as a low grade substitute.." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Good Society'

You really are a moonbat. Is that why the CEO of GE is an Obama Crony? And got special exemptions? He must really be voting republican when he's serving as an Obama appointee.

Unfortunately, social issues have a huge impact on the economy.

Though I haven't seen any evidence that the right is failing to focus on the economy.

Perhaps the left just feels bad about the bullshit crap they push and is projecting that onto the right. For example, the putrid insistence that we continue to increase funding of spectacular social programs....like obamacare....that causes the right to address social issues.

Wrong. Avarice, bigotry and callousness are the cause for the Right addressing social issues.

Avarice?? Bigotgry?? Callousness?? Excuse me while I LMAO.

How about we're sick and tired of being forced to pay the expenses for other peoples lives??

How about we're sick and tired of being made responsible for other peoples resonsibilities??

If you don't mind the expense of being financialy responsible for others well whip out your wallet and your checkbook and you and folks like you can spend to your hearts content.

I'm sure you'll feel good about yourselves.

Until your money runs out that is. And it will.

cons are more likely to smoke tobacco, eat fatty, greasy foods

(they are always mocking the political correctness of eating healthy foods and dieting)

so they get fat
and have clogged arteries
and bad backs
and bad hearts
and bad lungs

so they go to the doctors ALL THE TIME (but it doesn't cost them much because they have insurance or medicare or medicaid...OTHER PEOPLES MONEY!!!!)

and no matter how bad their health is...they REFUSE TO DIET
they REFUSE TO EAT HEALTHY
they continue to have health problems and they make OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR IT

cons have larger families than liberals
so they get more tax breaks

which means that liberals, single people and gays pay MUCH MORE in taxes than cons do...
while cons ABORB more in tax benefits (schools, hospitals, medicare/social security, the military, educational aid money)

All social issues cost taxpayer dollars.

Anything that costs taxpayer dollars is tied to the economy.

Republicans weren't elected to ban abortions and protect the "sanctity" (that always makes me laugh) of marriage. They were elected to stop out of control spending and help get the economy back on track. We need responsible fiscal overseers, not religious zealots.

Republicans weren't elected to ban abortions and protect the "sanctity" (that always makes me laugh) of marriage. They were elected to stop out of control spending and help get the economy back on track. We need responsible fiscal overseers, not religious zealots.

Yes, but republicans have proven time and again that they are NOT responsible fiscal overseers. But that they are more concerned with runing the morality in our lives.

Gov. Daniels called for truce on social issues until we can get the economy straightened out. Sounds good to me, focus on what is really important to most Americans. But Conservatives are saying hold on, we cannot go forward without social issues having the same status as the economy. Personally I think that we ought to be focused on the economy.

Santorum hits Daniels on the 'truce' - Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com

on many issues conservatives are, indeed, out of touch....

gays: MOST Americans do NOT want sodomy laws
MOST Americans are comfortable with homosexuals; as friends, neighbors, fellow workers, relatives
MOST Americans WOULD SUPPORT gay spousal benefits

pot; MOST Americans woudlo welcome decriminalizing pot
and a large percentage want it legalized

sex/abstinance/marriage; most Americans (99%) have sex BEFORE marriage/outside of marriage
MOST Americans are GLAD divorce is easy to get
MILLIONS of Americans live together (in relationships) without BOTHERING to get married at all

women in the military; 15 years ago when shannon faulkner started to attend the citadel cons wet their panties in their righteous anger over it....but today...women attend ALL the military institutes and MOST of us don't care

interracial relationships; happen all the time these days andmost of us don't care

women/blacks/minorities/gays in the military/politics/business....
the average RATIONAL American is fine with these

Midcans accused conservative/Republican policy only taking care of the rich. A more realistic person might rightfully point out that you cannot attack or punish that same rich without hurting the poor.

Well by that definition there is not such thing as a fiscal conservative, were all just a bunch of social conservatives.....

There's plenty of social issues that don't reflect on the economy.

An intersting and far more nuanced view was explained by Jeffrey Rosen, New Republic Magazine Legal Affairs Editor, who divided conservatives into at least three groups with differing perspectives:

a. Tea Party Constitutionalists.
b. Libertarianism
c. Pro-Business Conservatives

Foxfyre's comment is one of the best elitist comments I have heard in, what a day or so, from the hierarchical conservative. Praise the rich for without them who would support the common laborer - what a selfish, off the wall thought. I'm sure the poor worker, farmer, or whomever prays each day to the wealthy.

PoliticalChic, can you provide a link to Rosen's piece?

Conservatism is simply reactive politics - I will repeat again - No nation was ever founded on conservatism, can't happen as there really is no fundamental conservative political philosophy as PoliticalChic's post demonstrates again. "He argues that a triplet of 'rhetorical' criticisms--perversity, futility, and jeopardy--'has been unfailingly leveled' by 'reactionaries' at each major progressive reform of the past 300 years--those T. H. Marshall identified with the advancement of civil, political and social rights of citizenship...Charmingly written, this book can benefit a diverse readership."
"With engaging wit and subtle irony, Albert Hirschman maps the diffuse and treacherous world of reactionary rhetoric in which conservative public figures, thinkers, and polemicists have been arguing against progressive agendas and reforms for the past two hundred years." The Rhetoric of Reaction - Albert O. Hirschman - Harvard University Press

Well that' pretty much what President Obama suggested in the State of the Union speech. Let's call a truce on what has already been done and go forward civilly hand in hand with spending frozen at present levels. Meaning, of course, at the levels that have already done the damage and without correcting any of the problems that have generated a runaway deficit and debt.

The recession *IS* the problem that's generated the runaway deficit and debt... Combined with recklessly low taxes. This is what the Repubs are failing to grasp.

Yes, but republicans have proven time and again that they are NOT responsible fiscal overseers. But that they are more concerned with runing the morality in our lives.

History suggests they are the problem, not the solution.

Wrong. Avarice, bigotry and callousness are the cause for the Right addressing social issues.

How about we're sick and tired of being forced to pay the expenses for other peoples lives??

How about we're sick and tired of being made responsible for other peoples resonsibilities??

If you don't mind the expense of being financialy responsible for others well whip out your wallet and your checkbook and you and folks like you can spend to your hearts content.

(they are always mocking the political correctness of eating healthy foods and dieting)

so they get fat
and bad backs
and bad hearts
and bad lungs

so they go to the doctors ALL THE TIME (but it doesn't cost them much because they have insurance or medicare or medicaid...OTHER PEOPLES MONEY!!!!)

which means that liberals, single people and gays pay MUCH MORE in taxes than cons do...
while cons ABORB more in tax benefits (schools, hospitals, medicare/social security, the military, educational aid money)
People that do everything right still get cancer or other diseases. Still die of heart attacks, etc.

:lol:

so they get fat
and bad backs
and bad hearts
and bad lungs

This is without a doubt the most retarded thing I have yet to read on these boards. Congrats, you have made TM & Flaylo seem lucid in their thinking.

:lol:

The recession *IS* the problem that's generated the runaway deficit and debt... Combined with recklessly low taxes. This is what the Repubs are failing to grasp.

Recklessly low taxes?

Good Lord.... Perhaps you are referring to the 45%+ who pay none?

:eusa_drool:

Forum List

Back