Conservatives have destroyed American Family Life

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
How Conservatives and the GOP Destroyed the "Traditional Family" They Claim to Treasure

The greatest threat to the American family is economic stress -- and the modern-day Republicans and social conservatives who preach family values are the ones who have done the most to imperil the American family. From union-busting and the outsourcing of jobs to developing countries and opposing universal health care, social conservatives have not only endangered the American middle class -- they have also made it increasingly hard to raise a "traditional" family.

During the summer of 2009, the Guttmacher Institute surveyed 947 fertile women (18–34 years of age) with annual incomes under $75,000. Guttmacher reported that because of the economic downturn, 44 percent of the women surveyed wanted “to reduce or delay their childbearing” -- and 64 percent agreed with the following statement: “With the economy the way it is, I can’t afford to have a baby right now.” That 64 percent increased to 77 percent among the women who had annual household incomes under $25,000.

More: How Conservatives and the GOP Destroyed the "Traditional Family" They Claim to Treasure | Reproductive Justice | AlterNet

How Conservatives and the GOP Destroyed the "Traditional Family" They Claim to Treasure

The greatest threat to the American family is economic stress -- and the modern-day Republicans and social conservatives who preach family values are the ones who have done the most to imperil the American family. From union-busting and the outsourcing of jobs to developing countries and opposing universal health care, social conservatives have not only endangered the American middle class -- they have also made it increasingly hard to raise a "traditional" family.

During the summer of 2009, the Guttmacher Institute surveyed 947 fertile women (18–34 years of age) with annual incomes under $75,000. Guttmacher reported that because of the economic downturn, 44 percent of the women surveyed wanted “to reduce or delay their childbearing” -- and 64 percent agreed with the following statement: “With the economy the way it is, I can’t afford to have a baby right now.” That 64 percent increased to 77 percent among the women who had annual household incomes under $25,000.

More: How Conservatives and the GOP Destroyed the "Traditional Family" They Claim to Treasure | Reproductive Justice | AlterNet

ROFLMAO

We going for the most idiotic poster of the week award? this your big push?

ROFLMAO

I second the nomination.

The greatest threat to the American family is economic stress -- and the modern-day Republicans and social conservatives who preach family values are the ones who have done the most to imperil the American family....yadayadayadda.....
So what?...The more technologically advanced the society, like America, the fewer children people have....This is a physically proven fact.

I don't see where that's a partisan political issue...Unless, of course, there are some partisan political hacks seeking to make it one.

Out of those 947 fertile women clearly none were mexicans.

It is the economy that has had the biggest impact on family structure.

My dad had a High School education and worked for the phone company for 40 years. On that blue collar salary, he was able to buy a 2000 sq ft house on an acre of land, raise four kids and send them all to college

All without my mother having to work

Today, kids are raised in daycare centers. Both spouses have to work to be able to qualify to buy a home. Families put off having children and go into debt to pay for their education.

The decline of the middle class has resulted in the biggest change in our family structure

ROFLMAO

That's the best you can do, Charles Main? You are not stupid but you just put everybody in doubt of that with the above.

The greatest threat to the American family has been the rise and need for a two-income family to make ends meet over the last 30 years. Much of that has to do with greed by the consumer and greed-based PR and marketing by the businesses. Sad situation.

ROFLMAO

I second the nomination.

You resemble that remark! :lol:

Not so sure the thread makes sense, but I wish that for at least one time, a Republican leader would come out and say, "We support the middle class" and then give an example how. More examples would even be better.

My dad had a High School education and worked for the phone company for 40 years. On that blue collar salary, he was able to buy a 2000 sq ft house on an acre of land, raise four kids and send them all to college

Today, kids are raised in daycare centers. Both spouses have to work to be able to qualify to buy a home. Families put off having children and go into debt to pay for their education.

The decline of the middle class has resulted in the biggest change in our family structure

Exactly. My grandfather raised a family with four kids working at a factory that made airplane parts. Technology has made most of those jobs obsolete these days to where simply having a high school education isn't enough. You need to have either a college degree or some kind of skilled trade under your belt.

I am afraid that I am going to have to go with blaming the government for the mess we are in. However, the government is only a symptom of the real problem. The real problem is apathetic Americans of all parties and classes. They sit back and complain, and vote for government to take over what they are supposed to be doing in their lives. We Americans seem to believe that whatever we can get someone else to do for us is the better thing.

Americans in general have become apathetic about their religions and their faith. They seem to have given up on God actively working in their lives much less in the lives of the nations.

The solution is for Americans to get off their butts and organize for the people. That means liberals and conservatives. It does not mean Democrats and Republicans. It means that there will be major differences, but if we kick the government out of our private lives we can get some things back together.

The government is too big, out of control, and lazy Americans seem to like that. Most liberals and conservatives want a better American life, they just have too much pride to get together, without politics and government, to work out solutions. Well, lets get to it people.

Americans represent the world living together. We are a nation of nations. Right now we are a nation divided by government and politics, not by liberalism or conservatism. I believe when big government is moved out of the picture the people will handle business quite well.

I know, I am not smart enough to figure it all out, but I believe we as a people (civilized, I hope) can.

Just a thought.

The government is too big, out of control, and lazy Americans seem to like that. Most liberals and conservatives want a better American life, they just have too much pride to get together, without politics and government, to work out solutions. Well, lets get to it people.

Americans represent the world living together. We are a nation of nations. Right now we are a nation divided by government and politics, not by liberalism or conservatism. I believe when big government is moved out of the picture the people will handle business quite well.

So, you're one of those who just want to hand it all off to corporations, huh. Then we can become the proper idiocracy that you guys are bent on creating, I guess. Am I right?

So, you're one of those who just want to hand it all off to corporations, huh. Then we can become the proper idiocracy that you guys are bent on creating, I guess. Am I right?

So, you're one of those idiots who lacks basic comprehension skills, huh? Am I right?

So, you're one of those idiots who lacks basic comprehension skills, huh? Am I right?

Well, if you take the government out of the equation, the corporations get to run roughshod over all of us, am I right? Do you know what reading comprehenison is?

I'd like to have y'all take a mental exercise with me. You ready?

Corporations running shit leads to a destroyed American Family life ...... in that the demand to produce produce produce has turned us into a detached Society, more focused on careers than Family. (Women's rights movement helped nudge this in getting women in the workforce, detatching them from raising babies, but Women do deserve equal rights).

Big Government running shit leads to a destroyed American Family life, in that it takes away Individualism and you end up living by the "collective's" standards.

I'd like to know a third option. Ready? Go.

I'd like to know a third option. Ready? Go.

That's why you need a mixed economy that doesn't tilt too far one way or the other. Right now, we're tilted toward corporatism and it's effectively killing the middle class.

For working class families with 3 kids, the American dream has become the American nightmare. It takes two jobs and sometimes three just to keep your head above water. Savings are a joke. Vacations are either spent at home or with relatives. When it comes to college, the kids are on their own. A part time job doesn't even put a dent in college costs. As union jobs have dried up so has retirement plans. For most working class people, the golden years are working in a low paying jobs until you die.

The Republican solution to our financial problems is to cut taxes on the wealthy so they will have incentives to invest more in America to produce more jobs. However, more and more of those investment dollars are building plants and creating jobs overseas. Republicans would solve that problem by reducing or abolishing the minimum wage and union influence in order to drive low earners wages down to provide a source of cheap American labor.

The Republican solution to our financial problems is to cut taxes on the wealthy so they will have incentives to invest more in America to produce more jobs. However, more and more of those investment dollars are building plants and creating jobs overseas. Republicans would solve that problem by reducing or abolishing the minimum wage and union influence in order to drive low earners wages down to provide a source of cheap American labor.

Thus, turning this once great country with a healthy middle class into a sputtering third world nation. The corporatists are chomping at the bit thinking about this possibility. The decimation of the middle class means 5% own 99% of the wealth and 95% are reduced to near/slave labor. A return to feudalism, if you will. Get ready, serfs!

Forum List

Back