Conservatives and Libertarians - Sound Off

As libertarian as I am, I agree with student loans on their own merit. They generate revenue, and in fact, PROFIT. They serve to offer people an education they otherwise may never have been able to afford, and they add skilled workers to the labor pool. They are not "hand-outs". They get paid back, PLUS interest. If anything were worth the government INVESTING money in, it's higher education.

Sound off. Who out of the conservatives here agrees with them, who disagrees, and WHY?

This is great!

I can't tell you how many conservatives I'm chatted to on message boards who've proclaimed the values of self sufficiency, pulling one's self up by one's own boot straps, and getting goverment "out of the way" of all areas of our lives except national defense and courts.

And yet many of them took taxpayer guaranteed and subsized student loans, and went to taxpayer funded public universities!

The irony is thick enough to cut with a knife!

It's ok to spend hundreds of billions on a war that may not have even been necessary, but it's not ok to loan someone money to go to college.

Hey Kevin, if you're reading this thread, I'm interested in your opinion on government underwritten student loans. I know Ron's against it, but it's probably one of the very FEW things I disagree with him on. I don't have a problem with the federal government investing in higher education. If they absolutely MUST spend money on something, it might as well be something they can profit from and get real production out of.

Even Ron said the other day that he doesn't oppose infrastructure spending, just not in the way it's being done in THIS case. If infrastructure spending can be ok, I think student loans ought to be considered as well.

Well, I think an amendment would need to be passed to make it ok for the government to have any part in student loans. That being said, I'm not for them personally. I don't like the idea of the government backing loans at the expense of the taxpayers. I understand that there's a profit to be made with interest, but I don't think the taxpayers ever see any part of that. I think it's great if banks want to make loans out to students, but they shouldn't run to the government if some of those students are unable to pay back their loans.

So we have one STAUNCH conservative that doesn't agree with it. Otherwise, everyone else agreed that commented on it.

You've got some more labelling to go do it would seem.

You know, open your mind a bit Rav. You might be surprised to find out how many other so-called labels don't live up to YOUR criteria.

I've never claimed to be at the extreme end of libertarian. I've always said I was the lower case "l" variety, which is the less staunch version, in simple terms. I'm not a fucking anarchist, I do realize certain things the federal government is necessary and useful for.

If you enjoy using that to trash my entire philosophy because maybe it doesn't equate to the fucking wikipedia entry you set your standards by, then so be it.

As libertarian as I am, I agree with student loans on their own merit. They generate revenue, and in fact, PROFIT. They serve to offer people an education they otherwise may never have been able to afford, and they add skilled workers to the labor pool. They are not "hand-outs". They get paid back, PLUS interest. If anything were worth the government INVESTING money in, it's higher education.

Sound off. Who out of the conservatives here agrees with them, who disagrees, and WHY?

This is great!

I can't tell you how many conservatives I'm chatted to on message boards who've proclaimed the values of self sufficiency, pulling one's self up by one's own boot straps, and getting goverment "out of the way" of all areas of our lives except national defense and courts.

And yet many of them took taxpayer guaranteed and subsized student loans, and went to taxpayer funded public universities!

And many of them didn't

This is great!

:lol: Totally.

This is great!

Isn't it great though, that there doesn't have to be one set of standards that labels everyone? Or does there, in your world?

Too funny. I actually more agree with what DD said above, and yet I still think government subsidized loans for shelter are okay. Food, shelter, and clothing are the basic needs of life. Education when and if we can afford subsidizing it...and as far as I can tell, we can.

For the record, I've never received a government backed loan...for home or school or anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I've just never needed it.

"You give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. You teach a man to fish, and he'll have food for a lifetime."

You can give people food, shelter, and clothing, and potentially get NOTHING in return for it besides entitled, lazy, selfish pricks. If you help someone get an education, you potentially get a more productive member of society.

Loaning someone money to get a real education is an investment in the country's future. Loaning someone money for a house just gives them a house. Giving them money for food just gives them food. What does the government get out of those two things besides a needy citizen and a vote?

You're making liberal's argument for them.

As Ravi pointed out, a few words in your post could be changed to justify univerals single payer healthcare, Obama's government funded infrastructure public works initiative, the Democrats 2007 GI bill that conservatives railed against, etc. Those can all be considered investments that create jobs, create a more healthy workforce and population, and create economic growth through infrastructure investments.

Is it possible that you are picking and choosing which "public investements" to defend because you personally benefited from it? I don't think that's a good argument at all. Personal benefit should not be a factor in determining what constitutes a "public investment". A public investement should be good for society and the country at large, regardless if you personally benefit from it.

I'm not quite sure how Wells Fargo, for instance, would be mandated to loan money to college students. Not all banks even offer student loans. If Wells Fargo decided tomorrow that they were going to exit the student loan business, I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing so.

The government isn't funding the loan, they're guaranteeing it. The banks are private, for-profit institutions.

without government loans, I wouldn't be able to get a loan from the bank without a cosigner. and the rates of these loans from banks are near 10 percent. how does anyone go to college with those kind of choices?

Oh boo hoo.. you don't easily get what you want... oh.. how will the world survive?

Though shit... again.. it is your choice and your responsibility

Though shit? what the hell does that mean?
again, you have a problem with the government LENDING me money but no problem starting wars we will never be able to pay off.

As a conservative I have no problem with student loans as they as you said will lead to future economic stimulus, not to mention a more educated work force. Besides they are loans, not grants, the money is meant to be paid back.

I wonder what would happen if there were no government student loans? How many of the "billion" colleges would go under? No loans...no students... no money... no colleges. :eusa_shhh: college might become affordable to more people. What a novel idea.

I wonder what would happen if there were no government student loans? How many of the "billion" colleges would go under? No loans...no students... no money... no colleges. :eusa_shhh: college might become affordable to more people. What a novel idea.

be fine with me. all they do now is fill empty heads with liberal propaganda.

be fine with me. all they do now is fill empty heads with liberal propaganda.

So no conservatives should ever go to college? :confused:

This is great!

Isn't it great though, that there doesn't have to be one set of standards that labels everyone? Or does there, in your world?

Its cool that our government helped you get an education. Hell, I'd still be working construction jobs without government assistance and tax payer funded colleges.

It just seems weird that the one "public investment" you're in favor of, is one that you benefited from. Just seems weird. Hell, Maybe its just a liberal thing to believe in things that benefit society as a whole regardless if one sustains direct personal benefit from it.

Also, what happened to all the libertarian/conservative lecturing on the "enumerated powers" in the US Constitution? They way you all talked about it, that was a rock solid, uncompromising fundamental core value. That the government can only do what is in the enumerate powers.

Some of you libertarians and conservatives on the thread seem to have "suddenly" become very flexible on the enumerated powers.

Wouldn't student loans be unconstitutional?:confused:

without government loans, I wouldn't be able to get a loan from the bank without a cosigner. and the rates of these loans from banks are near 10 percent. how does anyone go to college with those kind of choices?

Oh boo hoo.. you don't easily get what you want... oh.. how will the world survive?

again, you have a problem with the government LENDING me money but no problem starting wars we will never be able to pay off.

Again... look at the fucking Constitution, numbnuts.. look at what the govt is charged to do.. and what you assume it should do to make people feel good or take over for their own personal responsibility of what they want

If only colleges restricted what they offer to legitimate academic endeavor. If business, the military, or science doesn't need it, the colleges should not be offering degrees in it. Somewhere between 50% and 70% of students on today's campus' have no business being there. Colleges are essentially ripping these people off, giving them degrees in CRAP they will never be able to use in the real world.

Good point. cheap and plentiful student loans with very favorable payback options have really done nothing but to cause and exploding demand for college, against a limited supply, thus resulting in runaway pricing. Business would step into the breach if gov't loans disappeared, but the only things funded would be that which business needs.

Again... look at the fucking Constitution, numbnuts.. look at what the govt is charged to do.. and what you assume it should do to make people feel good or take over for their own personal responsibility of what they want

I think I'll take a few extra classes that don't pertain to my major and put them on GOVERNMENT loans just to piss you off. Thanks for lending me the money.

fuck you diamond dickhead. where is the responsibility of the government? They blow a trillion dollars on an unnecessary war and it's fine with you because it's the military we're talking about.
speck and beam.

without government loans, i wouldn't be able to get a loan from the bank without a cosigner. And the rates of these loans from banks are near 10 percent. How does anyone go to college with those kind of choices?

oh boo hoo.. You don't easily get what you want... Oh.. How will the world survive?

Though shit... Again.. It is your choice and your responsibility

though shit? What the hell does that mean?
Again, you have a problem with the government lending me money but no problem starting wars we will never be able to pay off.
wars are not always wrong, even if they started on false pretense.

Forum List

Back