Conservative War On Poverty: Bring It On!

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
this has me thinking, i really hope what pres. bush tries will work. let's see once and for all which ideas can work, which ideas won't work. the liberals had their chance, now let's see what we conservatives can do about poverty.
http://www.slate.com/id/2126738/
The Conservative War on Poverty
Bring it on.
By Jacob Weisberg
Posted Thursday, Sept. 22, 2005, at 4:03 PM PT

Since Hurricane Katrina exposed the ghetto poor of New Orleans to national view, stirring a national conscience that has been asleep for many years, the federal government has begun to re-engage with the problem of urban poverty. George W. Bush has made a strong rhetorical and financial commitment to rebuild the city in a way that does not re-create what was there before. The president mentioned a few specific anti-poverty ideas in his speech from Jackson Square: vouchers for job training and education, tax-abated Opportunity Zones, and a Homestead Act intended to help poor people own their own houses.

The reaction from liberals to Bush's proposed War on Bayou Poverty has been outrage that Republicans would take advantage of the tragedy to advance their ideological agenda. Democratic leaders are upset about the suspension of the Davis-Bacon Act, sacred to unions, which requires the federal government to pay prevailing wages to workers. They've also denounced Bush's proposal to provide school vouchers to students displaced by the storm and the suggestion that Karl Rove might run the rebuilding show.

This is precisely the wrong response. Liberals, who have failed to muster any kind of social consensus for a major federal assault on poverty since LBJ's day, should welcome conservatives as converts to the cause. They should hold back on their specific objections—some of which are valid, some of which are not—and let Bush have his way with the reconstruction. Making New Orleans a test site for conservative social policy ideas could shake out any number of ways politically. But all of us have a stake in an experiment that tells us whether conservative anti-poverty ideas, uh, work. If the conservative war on poverty succeeds, even in partial fashion, we will all be better for its success. And if it fails, we will have learned something important about how not to fight poverty.

Not everyone on the right is so keen about a new federal attack on poverty (for a quick taxonomy of conservative views on the issue, click here). But the activist Republicans who have been ascendant since the disaster are ready for action. What are the radical proposals they want to implement in New Orleans? The first place I looked for them was on Newt Gingrich's Web site, Newt.org. No luck. (Though at the top of the home page, you will find a 20-slide Powerpoint presentation that provides additional evidence—were any needed—of the former speaker's clinical megalomania.) Nor does "I-care-about-poor-people" conservative Jack Kemp have much to offer beyond inspiration and admonitions not to sweat the deficit spending.

There's more detail in a new position paper from the Heritage Foundation, which recommends a slew of policies including a zero capital gains rate for investment in the disaster zone, suspension of EPA regulations, rental vouchers in place of government-provided housing, emergency health care accounts instead of expanded Medicaid, and $5,000-per-pupil school vouchers for private, public, or charter schools. The Department of Education has since suggested that the vouchers it wants to offer displaced students could be worth as much as $7,500—which would address a major flaw in Bush's previous versions of school choice, namely that the vouchers wouldn't have been worth enough to cover the tuition anywhere other than parochial schools.

Not mentioned in the Heritage paper, but clearly applicable, is the stalled GOP proposal for second-round welfare reform: a requirement that recipients work 40 hours a week to qualify for benefits. Let's try that in New Orleans, too. Let Congress go ahead and suspend affirmative action requirements for contractors and environmental regulations for builders. Let Republicans bar victims from suing volunteers for damages, and give them a flat tax. In the category of Onion headlines that aren't a joke, Sens. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., want to suspend the estate tax for people killed in Hurricane Katrina. The only problem: They can't find a corpse—that is, any victim whose estate would owe any tax. But let Republicans go ahead and kill the death tax there if it makes them feel better. Heck, let them privatize Social Security for poor blacks in New Orleans (who Bush says get a raw deal under the current system).

Unfortunately, the conservative war on poverty in New Orleans probably won't take place in any concerted way, because Republicans and Democrats are equally terrified about what might happen. Conservatives don't necessarily want their panaceas tried out, for fear their utopia might not be so dreamy after all. Liberals don't want conservative ideas tested for a different reason. They're afraid that some of them might actually work.

Jacob Weisberg is editor of Slate and co-author, with Robert E. Rubin, of In an Uncertain World.

Bush admin does not believe in government helping people.
First thing he said after hurricane is DONATE TO THE REDCROSS!! hahahah.
Whats the tax money for mr tax man?

NATO AIR said:
this has me thinking, i really hope what pres. bush tries will work. let's see once and for all which ideas can work, which ideas won't work. the liberals had their chance, now let's see what we conservatives can do about poverty.

I'm sorry, but it's not the federal government's role to make these lazy sons-a-bitches get off their asses and go get a job. The move from poverty does not happen overnight either. It's taken me half a lifetime. The move only takes 3 things...an education, hard work, and the will to make the move. I've got no sympathy for those who've been content with their status quo. The hurricane should not be an excuse to give all these ne'er-do-wells a giant government-paid jackpot.

xen said:

WTF is wrong with that?
If you want to help more, DONATE more

Tax money is not for charity.

Max Power said:
WTF is wrong with that?
If you want to help more, DONATE more

Tax money is not for charity.

Besides which they are already writing the blank check for about $200 billion in tax payer money. Im sure another couple billion has come in from donations and such. Hopefully they use some of THIS money to help with Rita as well. Unfortunately it will probably be another $100 billion going towards that as well. When it rains, it really fucking pours doesnt it.

xen said:

And in three lines, you have summed up everything wrong with liberalism. Congradulations.

I'm not saying I'm a blanket fan of the rebuilding plan, but I would love to see which of these ideas actually work and which don't. We know what liberal plans don't work, let's see what conservative plans work and don't work.

I'm telling you, all they need to do is cut the staggering amount of pork out of the Highway bill and others like it. That alone should be close to all the government needs to cover its part of Katrina reconstruction.

xen said:

Supporting the military of course. You know the one job the federal government is supposed to do.

Donating to Red Cross is alot more effective than the government.

theim said:
I'm telling you, all they need to do is cut the staggering amount of pork out of the Highway bill and others like it. That alone should be close to all the government needs to cover its part of Katrina reconstruction.

Republicans in Congress are already drafting bills to cut that pork and put it toward rebuilding.

Forum List

Back