Conservative vs. Liberal view of crime

Conservatives view crime as a disease. Liberals view crime as a symptom.

Discuss...

You've just encapsulated the discussion rather well.

What's left to discuss?

They're both partially right, I think.

Poverty breeds crime and crime breeds poverty.

• Banned
You've just encapsulated the discussion rather well.

What's left to discuss?

They're both partially right, I think.

Poverty breeds crime and crime breeds poverty.

Agreed.

But who is more right when it comes to pragmatic solutions and why?

Agreed.

But who is more right when it comes to pragmatic solutions and why?

I'd say no one. The problem with how we deal with crime is that we, as a society, think we need a blanket, one-size-fits-all remedy/punishment/what have you instead of addressing each case on merit.

Some people can be rehabilitated. Some cannot. The right wants to throw everyone in prison or execute them and the left wants to turn them loose with a slap on the wrist and a promise they won't do it again. IMO, there's a time and place for both, not just one or the other.

When addressing crime itself, the cause HAS TO BE addressed. Eliminate the cause and you eliminate the resulting crime.

The only way to eliminate crime is to eliminate criminal influence on society. How do you do that? You separate them. Forever. Cycle broken.

Is that going to happen? Not likely.

• Banned
The only way to eliminate crime is to eliminate criminal influence on society. How do you do that? You separate them. Forever. Cycle broken.

I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting resurrecting segregation policies?

There is no way to eliminate crime without eliminating the human race... there will always be crime, but crime is always a decision made by the person committing it...

There are reasons behind the decision to commit crime, but that does not ever justify it.... there is always another choice and always another way..

Discuss...

It does indeed sum it up as has been posted already.

But importantly it also points out the motivation for the different approaches to crime reduction. The conservative view is to punish the offender harshly. This is similar to the prevailing view in England during the 18th Century when the parliament, responding to crime, dictated that there should a couple of hundred crimes which were punishable by execution or transportation for life.

The liberal view is that criminals should be rehabilitated. Ironically enough that view stems from the Christian redemptionist movement of the 19th Century.

Both views are stereotypes. It's trite to say it but what's required is a mixed response which attacks both the conditions that cause crime and to deal with criminals appropriately.

My rendition:

Conservatives: You must work hard to support your family and follow the laws to stay out of trouble.

Liberals: You work hard and have not shot me, therefore, I'm going to do anything to get some of your money, except work for it. You Cons deserve it, you should have shot me many moons ago.

:eusa_angel:

Discuss...

There is no crime without laws. Crime is a symptom of how many people are crossing the line established by our governments .Laws define unacceptable social behavior so "criminal behavior" occurs when someone crossed the line. If we are going to establish punishment for crossing the line, does it really matter why someone crossed it ? The result of crossing the line (legal consequences) is up to a judge or jury to decide.
I thought conservatives thought crime was simple irresponsible behavior.

My rendition:

Conservatives: You must work hard to support your family and follow the laws to stay out of trouble.

Liberals: You work hard and have not shot me, therefore, I'm going to do anything to get some of your money, except work for it. You Cons deserve it, you should have shot me many moons ago.

:eusa_angel:

Well, parts of the human race, namely, the black and Hispanic parts. There's virtually no crime in places like Japan and Sweden.

Boy did THIS thread go to shit quick.:rolleyes:

It's trite to say it but what's required is a mixed response which attacks both the conditions that cause crime and to deal with criminals appropriately.

Isn't the only condition that causes crime the someones willingness to overstep the law ?

Isn't the only condition that causes crime the someones willingness to overstep the law ?

It's an interesting question and a complex one at that. What brings them to that point? There's a heap of reasons I think.

Greed is a major motivator in crime, coupled with the belief that the perpetrator is somehow above the law or is convinced they won't get caught. Enron is a good example of sheer greed and hubris. But why did they do it and not someone else? What keeps some people from doing that they did and what stops others?

Anyway, all I know is I don't know much about the causes of crime.

Spot on.

Mark Twain once said:

American does not have a natural criminal class...except for Congress.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back