Conservative Purity

Chucky

Rookie
Oct 22, 2011
I am new here and am just curious about something. What do conservatives require of a candidate? What are deal breakers? Do we stay home if our guy is Romney (Fiscal conservative/social liberal) - Cain (Plain spoken and genuine/no experience) - Gingrich (Stunningly brilliant and capable/years of negative publicity-sympathetic to environmentalists)? My question is, who here rallies to the nominee and who stays home because they don't meet the ultra-strict ideals of libertarianism and conservatism that I seem to be hearing from in the right wing media?

I am new here and am just curious about something. What do conservatives require of a candidate? What are deal breakers? Do we stay home if our guy is Romney (Fiscal conservative/social liberal) - Cain (Plain spoken and genuine/no experience) - Gingrich (Stunningly brilliant and capable/years of negative publicity-sympathetic to environmentalists)? My question is, who here rallies to the nominee and who stays home because they don't meet the ultra-strict ideals of libertarianism and conservatism that I seem to be hearing from in the right wing media?

Please tell us your thoughts on the other candidates.
Don't limit yourself.

Mit Romney is not a fiscal conservative.

None of those people you have listed are fiscal conservatives.

Ron Paul is the only fiscal conservative.

I smell a troll.

First off:
:welcome:

Some tough questions, there Chucky.

All I can do is comb through their records and past behaviors on key issues.
I haven't made up my mind about who the ideal (R) candidate is.
I do feel, however, whoever we select, if we come to the polls with the same passion and turnout that we did in the mid-terms, Obama doesn't stand a chance.
President Obama has alienated the independents and, more importantly, his base. (D) voters won;t be out in the numbers that they were in 2008.

:cool:

This is exactly what I am talking about. I hear this all the time and it makes me nervous that the current President is going to be around for another term because the next Republican nominee isn't perfect enough to turn everything (100 years of progressive cancer) around within his/her first 100 days. Is it ignorant of me to think that the next President might just be a start toward undoing decades of liberal failure? Also, if you run a successful business then aren't you, by definition, a fiscal conservative? If you force a huge progressive Dem like Bill Clinton, to balance the budget, then isn't that, by definition, also fiscal conservatism?

First off:
:welcome:

Some tough questions, there Chucky.

All I can do is comb through their records and past behaviors on key issues.
I haven't made up my mind about who the ideal (R) candidate is.
I do feel, however, whoever we select, if we come to the polls with the same passion and turnout that we did in the mid-terms, Obama doesn't stand a chance.
President Obama has alienated the independents and, more importantly, his base. (D) voters won;t be out in the numbers that they were in 2008.

:cool:

I couldn't agree more. I'm leaning toward the gray haired guy that actually has done something, of a conservative nature, in the cesspool that is DC. And has also stood up under the heat of MASSIVE liberal media pressure :) I have a feeling that whoever it is will have to be reminded periodically that caving isn't the same as "compromising".

Depends on who you ask. There are People like me who are Fiscal Conservatives, Believe in a Strong Defense, and a Limited Constitutional Government.

Then there are Social Conservatives who Care more about Issues like Abortion, Gay Marriage, and the Like.

Then there are people who are Both.

I can accept a Social Liberal as long as that Social Liberalness does not mean they will spend Wildly and Recklessly, or Expand the Power of the Fed massively in the name of Welfare.

I can accept a Social Conservative as long as I am confident that they will not try to Hijack the Entire Agenda and hold it Hostage to their Social Con Agenda.

What I will not accept, is anyone who does not convince me they understand the Crisis we face with the Debt, Entitlements, and what is happening in the world, and will address it with the Policies I believe best for it.

Basically I would vote for a Rock if I was confident, they would spend less than Obama, and be competent on Defense and Foreign Relations Issues.

He may not be a Pure Fiscal Conservative, but he would damn sure be more Fiscally Conservative than Obama.

So Far Romney for the most part is saying the right things to convince me that regardless of whether or not he is a full time Fiscal Conservative, He recognizes the Very Serious Debt Problems we face, and that we MUST reverse Course. That and his Sound Business Back ground, and Executive Experience make me relatively sure he could do the job far better than the Current Administration.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back