Conservative Harvard student challenges Barney Frank on the financial crisis

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (myfoxboston) - It all started with a question: "How much responsibility, if any, do you have for the financial crisis?"

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass) and a conservative Harvard law student debated over how Frank should have handled his role as the House Chairman of the Financial Services Committee. Frank was at Harvard University for a speech at the Kennedy School of Government.

Harvard student takes on Rep. Frank

If the video doesn't load on that page you can see it at the link below as well.

Townhall.com Blog : Greg Hengler : Conservative Harvard Student Battles Barney Frank Over His Role In Financial Crisis

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (myfoxboston) - It all started with a question: "How much responsibility, if any, do you have for the financial crisis?"

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass) and a conservative Harvard law student debated over how Frank should have handled his role as the House Chairman of the Financial Services Committee. Frank was at Harvard University for a speech at the Kennedy School of Government.

If the video doesn't load on that page you can see it at the link below as well.

Townhall.com Blog : Greg Hengler : Conservative Harvard Student Battles Barney Frank Over His Role In Financial Crisis

Is there a text version as oppose to the Fox News clip? I hate watching videos.

Edit: OK I watched it. The kid was an idiot and I wonder how he got into Harvard. He asks Frank what reponsibility he had for the financial crises, and when Frank says what do you claim I should have done, the kids starts talking about the bailout. One has nothing to do with the other. The bailout was the response, not the cause of the financial crises.

Frank sounded knowledgeable, informed and logical, IMO.

Last edited:

Edit: OK I watched it. The kid was an idiot and I wonder how he got into Harvard. He asks Frank what reponsibility he had for the financial crises, and when Frank says what do you claim I should have done, the kids starts talking about the bailout. One has nothing to do with the other. The bailout was the response, not the cause of the financial crises.

ok, you just painted yourself a moron
it wasnt Fox News
it was a local Fox NETWORK affiliate

I assume you do not realise that Barney Frank ignored every single warning regarding reining in Fannie/Freddie--& fought tooth & nail to oppose any new restrictions.

And to this day--even though he has been nailed to the wall on this--has yet to admit any responsiblity for ground zero of this economic collapse.

As far as sounding intelligent? Man who speaks like he has a mouth full of wad--has never impressed me.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pk--Ox49L0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pk--Ox49L0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

If you can't understand Barney Frank, here is the transcript of the interplay between Joel Pollack (Harvard Law student) and Frank:

JOEL POLLAK, HARVARD LAW STUDENT:
My name is Joel Pollak, and I'm a student at the law school. In your account of how the subprime mortgage crisis came about, you mentioned the Reagan administration, the Bush administration, the Republicans in Congress, conservatives. But it happened on your watch. And I would just like to ask you...

REP. BARNEY FRANK (D-MA), FINANCIAL SERVICES COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN: When was my watch, sir?

POLLAK:
When you became the chairman of the...

FRANK: Which was when?

POLLAK: It was in 2007. I'm still waiting -- I'm still waiting for a very simply answer to a question...

FRANK: And I'm waiting for you to tell me what you think I should have done. I didn't say (INAUDIBLE)

POLLAK: No, you're a public representative. I'm a student. I'm asking you...

FRANK: Oh, which allows you to say things that you don't back up?

POLLAK: I'm asking...

(LAUGHTER)

POLLAK: It does -- it does allow me to ask you a question. I'm waiting for you to explain...

FRANK: OK, I'll give you an answer.

POLLAK: ... how much, if any, responsibility do you think you (INAUDIBLE)

FRANK: Well, I will take this. First of all, you are a student. Students are entitled to full constitutional freedom of speech under the 1st Amendment. You've made an accusation that is wholly inaccurate.

POLLAK: I didn't accuse you of anything. I'm asking how much responsibility...

FRANK: Sure.

POLLAK: ... if any -- you can say none. That's fine.

FRANK:
I think you're being disingenuous.

I became chairman on January -- and this is the right-wing attack on liberals to try and stop regulation that you are repeating. On January 31st, I became the chairman. On March 28th, the committee passed a very tough Fannie/Freddie bill, which the Bush administration liked. Later that year in November, we passed a bill to restrict subprime lending. Because we did the subprime lending restrictions, Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, did what Alan Greenspan refused to do and said, OK, I'll do that.

So I do want to ask you, when you suggest that I should apologize for something or take responsibility, what is it you think I should have done that I didn't do?

POLLAK: Well, after spending the entire speech blaming conservatives -- I happen to think of myself as of as a conservative, and I rent and I think of myself as someone who cares about poor people -- I'm just interested in whether you think you have any responsibility...

FRANK: Well, I've answered the question. Sir, I think you're not being fully honest with us. You clearly are implying that I do. And I'm asking you -- I have given you my record...
This Joel Pollak is impressive. I had the opportunity to see his interview with Greta Van Susteran and he admits he used to be a left-wiing Democrat in his undergrad days, but had since changed sides. He says that a Conservative will answer questions, while a Liberal will never give you a straight answer. Pollak kept his composure with an audience that was hostile to his stance.

Read full interview below:

FOXNews.com - Exclusive: Frank Talk from Barney's Foe - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta

Based on that transcript Barney dismantled that kid's obviously disengenuous rhetorical question.

Based on that transcript Barney dismantled that kid's obviously disengenuous rhetorical question.

First, if you saw the interview on 'Greta,' this student described a journey on which you should have embarked by now: he began as a very left-wing radical in his undergraduate years, such that he though that Bill Clinton was too right-wing.

As a result of many meeting in Dem circles where attacks on the right substituted for answers to questions, he moved from the darkside and became a Republican.

As to the bigger question, the student's point, that the crisis should be laid at the steps of CRA, GSE's, Clinton, Dodd, Frank, has been documented by Baltimore Business Journal, IBD, The Hill, USNews, BostonGlobe, American Spectator, WSJ, among others.

On the other side we have apologists for the Democrats, self-styled experts, and you.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pk--Ox49L0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pk--Ox49L0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

If you can't understand Barney Frank, here is the transcript of the interplay between Joel Pollack (Harvard Law student) and Frank:

My name is Joel Pollak, and I'm a student at the law school. In your account of how the subprime mortgage crisis came about, you mentioned the Reagan administration, the Bush administration, the Republicans in Congress, conservatives. But it happened on your watch. And I would just like to ask you...

REP. BARNEY FRANK (D-MA), FINANCIAL SERVICES COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN: When was my watch, sir?

POLLAK:

POLLAK: It was in 2007. I'm still waiting -- I'm still waiting for a very simply answer to a question...

FRANK: And I'm waiting for you to tell me what you think I should have done. I didn't say (INAUDIBLE)

(LAUGHTER)

POLLAK: It does -- it does allow me to ask you a question. I'm waiting for you to explain...

FRANK: Well, I will take this. First of all, you are a student. Students are entitled to full constitutional freedom of speech under the 1st Amendment. You've made an accusation that is wholly inaccurate.

FRANK:

I became chairman on January -- and this is the right-wing attack on liberals to try and stop regulation that you are repeating. On January 31st, I became the chairman. On March 28th, the committee passed a very tough Fannie/Freddie bill, which the Bush administration liked. Later that year in November, we passed a bill to restrict subprime lending. Because we did the subprime lending restrictions, Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, did what Alan Greenspan refused to do and said, OK, I'll do that.

So I do want to ask you, when you suggest that I should apologize for something or take responsibility, what is it you think I should have done that I didn't do?

POLLAK: Well, after spending the entire speech blaming conservatives -- I happen to think of myself as of as a conservative, and I rent and I think of myself as someone who cares about poor people -- I'm just interested in whether you think you have any responsibility...

FRANK: Well, I've answered the question. Sir, I think you're not being fully honest with us. You clearly are implying that I do. And I'm asking you -- I have given you my record...
This Joel Pollak is impressive. I had the opportunity to see his interview with Greta Van Susteran and he admits he used to be a left-wiing Democrat in his undergrad days, but had since changed sides. He says that a Conservative will answer questions, while a Liberal will never give you a straight answer. Pollak kept his composure with an audience that was hostile to his stance.

FOXNews.com - Exclusive: Frank Talk from Barney's Foe - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta

Ah, yes, the lad is indeed impressive. I see a bright future ahead for him as a GOP push pollster.

Next.

The kid got his lunch ate.

Frank is not to blame , its been the republican party who sought for decades the deregulation of all markets.

They got a few dems to help them and Clinton is one of them. This is what happens when dems help Rs with their agenda. They demonize them wether they work with them or not. When dems work with them they end up harming the US.

The only thing the kid did wrong was to ask the question without the back up clips of Frank in congress denying there was any problem with FM and FM it's all there on record.. He and the entire Congressional Black Caucus along with Chris Dodd. He's young, he will learn.. and all the DUmbocrats can come back with is a "vast right wing conspiracy" Kool-aid anyone? :eusa_whistle:

POLLAK:

(LAUGHTER)

FRANK:

Ah, yes, the lad is indeed impressive. I see a bright future ahead for him as a GOP push pollster.

Next.

It has become clear, Empty-Barrel, that your RAISON D’ÊTRE is some sort of cry to be recognized. Your posts lack substance, and are usually merely a copy of another post or some document you were able to find.

On these boards there are many, of all political persuasions, who battle in an interesting and educated manner. Sadly, that is not the case with you.

Dull, insipid, boring, jejune, you continue to show what passes in kindergarten for cleverness, opting for a dismissive comment like "next," as though you have actually digested a post, and have another viewpoint.

Since I have made this point before with reference to you, I now leave it to you to prove my thesis by commenting on this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvG-s_Ssb0&feature=PlayList&p=5B52C60ACBD92464&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2]YouTube - Explosive Video, Fannie Mae CEO calling Obama and the Dems the "Family" and "Conscience" of Fannie Mae[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbiQwp1Tuac[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHnApTG9ok&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk5kTNmM2Ec&feature=channel[/ame]

Yeah it's a vast right wing conspiracy alright! Spit!

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2suqaZ17MFk]YouTube - Fox News: Glenn Beck - Today is Rep. Barney Frank's 69th Birthday![/ame]

:lol::lol::lol::eusa_angel:

ok, you just painted yourself a moron
it wasnt Fox News
it was a local Fox NETWORK affiliate

Yeah I saw that that after I'd written the original response and watched the clip. I still hate watching videos, and stand by my analysis of the clip.

First, if you saw the interview on 'Greta,' this student described a journey on which you should have embarked by now: he began as a very left-wing radical in his undergraduate years, such that he though that Bill Clinton was too right-wing.

As a result of many meeting in Dem circles where attacks on the right substituted for answers to questions, he moved from the darkside and became a Republican.

As to the bigger question, the student's point, that the crisis should be laid at the steps of CRA, GSE's, Clinton, Dodd, Frank, has been documented by Baltimore Business Journal, IBD, The Hill, USNews, BostonGlobe, American Spectator, WSJ, among others.

On the other side we have apologists for the Democrats, self-styled experts, and you.

Apologising for the Dems?

Not hardly.

Merely commenting that the kid got his ass handed to him by a man with superior intelligence.

POLLAK:

(LAUGHTER)

FRANK:

For the record, no, that transcript is *not* the full interview, but an excerpt by Fox, which, shockingly, cuts out the entire part of the exchange before the quoted section which contain the portions with the kid's illogical response or Frank's rational response.

This is why videos are a PITA.

The question the kid asked was what responsibilty Frank felt he had for the financial crises. Frank answers that question later in the clip. But when Frank reasonably asks what it was that the kid claims he should have done, the kid starts talking about the bailout package in 2008.

You can see it in the first 30 seconds of the Townhall version of the clip.

Frank quite rightly points out that the 2008 bailout had nothing to do with the cause of the financial crises, which was as he also points out, well in place before he became chair in Jan 2007.

Again, the kid's question about his responsibilty for the crises and then pointing out the bailout bill as the example of Franks supposed malfeasance shows a fundamental lack of understanding between the difference of cause and cure.

What is so impressive about him?

Forum List

Back