Conservative defends Obama on Chavez

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Canada PM defends Obama on Chavez

Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009

summit240.jpg

On a conference call this morning with reporters to discuss Iran and the U.N. Human Rights conference, Canada's conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper vigorously defended President Obama's handling of Hugo Chavez at this weekend's summit.

In response to a question about the criticism of Obama by some conservative politicians in the United States, Harper said that he is a conservative, but thinks that Obama's handling of Venezuela was effective at advancing America's values and interests.

"Let me be a bit of a conservative defender of the president in this regard," Harper said. "I was present obviously at all the meetings -- not the meeting between President Obama and the South American leaders, obviously wasn't at that. But I was present at the summit meeting, all of the plenary sessions."

"I thought President Obama did an excellent job of expressing the values, and priorities of the U.S. of America," he added. "I thought that he allowed ... a dialogue to take place in a good spirit to animate the room -- which I thought made the meetings productive. I think [it] made the U.S., took the U.S. to a higher plane than the Venezuelas of the world, and I think was very effective at moving the vast majorities of countries, reaffirming a very centrist position and very progressive position on the things that concern us: democracy, human rights, open markets, trade."

Harper concluded, "I know he got some criticism at home. But, you know, the U.S. is bigger than Venezuela in the end. The U.S. is the U.S., and I thought President Obama led in a way that was very effective at that conference."

Canada PM defends Obama on Chavez - First Read - msnbc.com

The statesman who yields to war fever...is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
Winston Churchill

I agree the singular example of Obama's shake n grin moments with Chavez are not alone cause for outrage - rather it is the collective apologist remarks, repeated gestures, and incoherent international message that is cause for concern.

Hopefully Obama's international street smarts will become much improved sooner than later...

As I have posted before, am prepared to give The Prophet some credit for what he is doing under the assumption that it establishes a new starting point and provides even the worst types of leaders the benefit of the doubt.

The concern I have is what will follow. My worry is that we are seeing the shadow of that jackass Carter. I am giving The Prophet a pass for now and waiting.

I dont have a problem trying to reach out to people.

I just have a problem him agreeing with them when they bad mouth our nation.

Forum List

Back