Conservative and Liberal

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This is a topic that has always fascinated me, how is it I see the world so differently than some. Our family background and my own personal success should make me a conservative, but my conservative friends know better. Enjoy.

"Psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies the five moral values that form the basis of our political choices, whether we're left, right or center. In this eye-opening talk, he pinpoints the moral values that liberals and conservatives tend to honor most.

Jonathan Haidt studies how -- and why -- we evolved to be moral. By understanding more about our moral roots, his hope is that we can learn to be civil and understanding of those whose morals."

Jonathan Haidt on the moral roots of liberals and conservatives | Video on TED.com

Another excellent talk.

History upbeat optimism global cooperation hatred moral progress

Robert Wright on optimism | Video on TED.com

Morality Quiz/Test your Morals, Values & Ethics - Your Morals.Org

Last edited:
Jonathan Haidt studies how -- and why -- we evolved to be moral. By understanding more about our moral roots, his hope is that we can learn to be civil and understanding of those whose morals."[.....?]

If that is his hope why is he so blatantly contemptuous of conservatives?

For a more even handed view on the subject I recommend [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Animal-Robin-Fox/dp/1560009624"]"The Imperial Animal" [/ame] by Lionel Tiger and Robin Fox

Or even

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moral-Animal-Science-Evolutionary-Psychology/dp/0679763996"]The Moral Animal[/ame]: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology" by Robert Wright

Haidt, seems to be...well I really must say it: just a hack who can't resist sophomoric generalizations.

Guys like Haidt and Wright should stay out of in front of cameras where they are in front of audiences where they so obviously feed their over-inflated egos. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back