Conservatism now help or hinder the GOP?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mattskramer, Feb 9, 2008.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    There are two trains of thought.

One is that if Republicans move to the right and more strongly embrace the conservatives, they will gain more support and votes than they will lose. The train of thought is that they might lose some moderates but that they will make up for it by winning right-wingers and distinguish themselves from Democrats.

On the other hand, there are moderates who think that the Republican candidates should move even more to the middle. They think that if the candidates move too far to the conservative right side, then they will alienate the moderate undecided group.

My thinking is more toward the moderates and I believe that any significant move to the right by Republicans will win some vocal conservatives but lose many more of the moderate undecided. Your thoughts?”

2. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    I think you are right. Rush and his gang are systematically shooting themselves in the foot with the rhetoric they are spewing. The Neos need to ask themselves, "Would McCain as President be better than the Hill or Obama?"

What are these guys thinking? Do they think Reagan will rise from the grave and take the nomination. It is just a big puzzle to me.

There is no front runner that will return the republican party to the hay days of Reagon. It is not going to happen so either embrace McCain or shut up, RUSH, you big fat drug addict you!

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    There is no question that conservatism is dead. The nomination of John McCain, who is not conservative on any issue to speak of (I don't include the war, as that is a neocon project), just confirms the death of a movement that has been a long time in dying.

I think much of this has to do with America's changing demographics, but there are other factors, like the acceptance of the welfare state. The truth is that most folks accept high levels of taxing and spending, if only because they've been around so long and nobody -- not even Reagan -- can bring them down. Social issues have been almost totally won by liberals -- abortion, gays, you name it. Only gun rights remain.

So I don't know how to answer your question, but there does remain a group of Americans who are conservative. The GOP is not their friend. I don't know where they'll go.

4. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    The GOP needs to understand that, greatly attributed to bush, the far right has been weakend to insignificance. The only manner in which the GOP can survive is to move to the center. McCain gives them that chance. Rush and his allies will be dragged kicking and screaming to moderation.

I must say, it is a vision I greatly enjoy.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    But there's nothing "far right" about Bush. He's a liberal on everything and a neocon on the war. He's for open borders, profligate spending, you name it. McCain is just another Bush.

6. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Bush is an evangelical version of McCain. He already endorsed McCain. If that doesn't shift the moderate vote to the democrats side, then it might take a major scandal to do it.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Conservatism isnt dead, it's never been tried yet. If President Bush had actually tried it and the Republican Congress actually stood up for it, they wouldnt have lost in 2006. We wouldnt have had that atrocious immigration bill. We wouldnt have had all the corruption and overspending.

The principles of conservatism are still correct. It's just finding a dang politician who tries to impliment them when he gets to Washington is impossible!

8. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm loathe to enter a discussion about conservatism vis-a-vis the GOP because it's a purely domestic issue. However I will offer the observation that conservatism has to be distinguished from reactionary forces. Conservatism has a place in any society, it's a natural and desirable tendency that serves as a useful counterbalance to the more extreme progressive forces. It holds up the forces of progress long enough for most of us to look at what's proposed and to find a position on it. It doesn't stop progress, it just forces a bit of a hold while things are being checked out.

On the other hand reactionary forces, which are violently opposed to any change at all, are easily identified and easily defeated by the moderate progressive forces which find it easy to expose the reactionaries to the (usually) moderately cautious electorate.

It seems to me that any political party that seeks to harness reactionary forces may as well write its suicide note.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The current fracture between hard-line conservatives and moderate conservatives has been coming for decades -- since the Carter years -- and predictable.

Those considered moderate conservatives and/or centrists now would have been labelled as liberals pre-Carter. When he jerked the Democrat party hard left, he left a lot of people with no choice but vote Republican or don't vote.

The hard right no longer controls the Republican party and their last candidate was Bob Dole. IMO, a hard-line candidate doesn't have a chance in Hell of winning a presidential election. As was proven with Clinton, moderates will vote for who they think is the best candidate, not necessarily along party lines.

10. CrpRavens30

CrpRavens30 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The thing is neither party has a decent candidate to vote for in this election..

Hillary is corrupt..

Obama has no bussiness running for president, thanks to his race he is where he is..

McCain is corrupt and not a conservative..