Conservatism and the Working Man

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
Conservatives maintain that trade unions are a bad thing. The unions are arcane and unnecessary. Unions are greedy and hamper the bottom line of corporations.

Conservatives maintain that federal regulations are intrusive and onerous. Newt Gingrich called child labor laws stupid and suggested kids would be better off working than learning.

Conservatives say that unemployment insurance de-motivates workers and should be stopped.

Unions fight for safer work places. They fight for apprenticeship programs and continued worker training. They fight for fair wages and benefits.

Workplace safety regulations help protect workers from hazards on the job. They set minimum standards for exposure to hazardous chemicals, machinery and noise. Child labor laws have helped build this nation's education and skill levels. They have kept countless children from exploitation and injury.

There is no stronger motivation for out of work workers than loosing their homes, their health care, their savings and their self esteem. Yet Conservatives maintain that out of work workers are lazy and more willing to lay around than motivated to find work (even if there is no work to find)

Tell me again, Conservatives, how well you love the American worker. Tell me how your policies benefit the American worker. Seems your policies are more concerned with the welfare of the company owner than the work force. Tell me how your plans of deregulation and demonizing trade unions will keep workers safe and maintain a vibrant Middle Class.

And tell me Conservative working people, why would you support efforts designed to undercut your workplace safety and livelihood.

Conservatives maintain that trade unions are a bad thing. The unions are arcane and unnecessary. Unions are greedy and hamper the bottom line of corporations.

Conservatives maintain that federal regulations are intrusive and onerous. Newt Gingrich called child labor laws stupid and suggested kids would be better off working than learning.

Conservatives say that unemployment insurance de-motivates workers and should be stopped.

Unions fight for safer work places. They fight for apprenticeship programs and continued worker training. They fight for fair wages and benefits.

Workplace safety regulations help protect workers from hazards on the job. They set minimum standards for exposure to hazardous chemicals, machinery and noise. Child labor laws have helped build this nation's education and skill levels. They have kept countless children from exploitation and injury.

There is no stronger motivation for out of work workers than loosing their homes, their health care, their savings and their self esteem. Yet Conservatives maintain that out of work workers are lazy and more willing to lay around than motivated to find work (even if there is no work to find)

Tell me again, Conservatives, how well you love the American worker. Tell me how your policies benefit the American worker. Seems your policies are more concerned with the welfare of the company owner than the work force. Tell me how your plans of deregulation and demonizing trade unions will keep workers safe and maintain a vibrant Middle Class.

And tell me Conservative working people, why would you support efforts designed to undercut your workplace safety and livelihood.

its less a trade union thing and more a public sector union thing. Trade unions, if you are talking about the ones in the construction industry, actually favor the employer far more than public unions and manufacturing unions do.

With a trade union, you dont directly employ the worker, you hire them out from the union. The worker is paid a salary by the company, and the company also pays the union overhead for benefits such as retirement, vacation, medical, and others. Once the work is done the company lays off the workers, and goes to the next job. This allows the construction companies the flexibility to weather slow work periods, by not having alot of non working people on payroll, and benefits the unions, as thier retirement and medical is under thier own control.

The prime issue I have is with public unions is that there is no incentive to minimize costs, as the government cannot theoretically go out of business. When negotiating trade and manufacturing unions know there is a limit they can hit before thier work or product becomes unprofitable. If they pass this limit they run the risk of losing all thier jobs.

With public unions, the risk isnt there. The government thinks it can just keep borrowing money and raising taxes, promising set retirement benefits that someone else has to pay for, negotiating laws that state the government has to make up any shortfall in the pension fund. This also leads to more lax work rules for public employees, due to the same lack of a need for profitability. It is often easier for an agency to dump an unproductive worker in a make work job than fire them.

no one cares about trade unions - until they are forced on business

public unions need to be abolished

Powerful thread. Power. full. :clap2:

You see the thing about these RW and Republican beliefs and policies is that they do work...in their hopes and dreams. Only in their hopes and dreams does the market place magically make everything right and hunky dorey, only in their hopes and dreams does supply side economics work. It is only in RW and Republican's hopes and dreams where you will find that lower the taxes of the super rich immediately and directly results to increased jobs and prosperity for all.

You can't fight hopes and dreams...it's impossible. Besides, who are you or anyone to stop someone from their hopes and dreams?

its less a trade union thing and more a public sector union thing. Trade unions, if you are talking about the ones in the construction industry, actually favor the employer far more than public unions and manufacturing unions do.

With a trade union, you dont directly employ the worker, you hire them out from the union. The worker is paid a salary by the company, and the company also pays the union overhead for benefits such as retirement, vacation, medical, and others. Once the work is done the company lays off the workers, and goes to the next job. This allows the construction companies the flexibility to weather slow work periods, by not having alot of non working people on payroll, and benefits the unions, as thier retirement and medical is under thier own control.

The prime issue I have is with public unions is that there is no incentive to minimize costs, as the government cannot theoretically go out of business. When negotiating trade and manufacturing unions know there is a limit they can hit before thier work or product becomes unprofitable. If they pass this limit they run the risk of losing all thier jobs.

With public unions, the risk isnt there. The government thinks it can just keep borrowing money and raising taxes, promising set retirement benefits that someone else has to pay for, negotiating laws that state the government has to make up any shortfall in the pension fund. This also leads to more lax work rules for public employees, due to the same lack of a need for profitability. It is often easier for an agency to dump an unproductive worker in a make work job than fire them.

Are public sector workers deserving of pensions and benefits? Who else, other than the tax payers (who pay the salaries) should contribute to the pension funds after the workers themselves have? In most private employment, the company will contribute, even match the contributions, of the employees. Why should public sector employees be left out on the limb alone?

Unions only true goal is to increase their own power through the abuse of their own members money.

We no longer need unions to protect workers when there is a lawyer eagerly waiting to sue ANY entity for ANY reason on every street corner.

Unions only true goal is to increase their own power through the abuse of their own members money.

We no longer need unions to protect workers when there is a lawyer eagerly waiting to sue ANY entity for ANY reason on every street corner.
So if workers are in dangerous conditions, they have no right to demand safer conditions, they can just sue? And then, when Conservative law makers re-visit tort reform, what happens then?

So if workers are in dangerous conditions, they have no right to demand safer conditions, they can just sue? And then, when Conservative law makers re-visit tort reform, what happens then?

Just the thought of being sued would stop most abuse.

tell it to Wal*Mart

Really? Wanna talk to the mine workers who have been killed over the past couple of years because the mine owner REFUSED to comply with safety standards?

The thought of getting sued didn't stop him Grampa Fuck U.

tell it to Wal*Mart

I am not aware of any abuse at WalMart so I dunno what your talking about.
The largest class action lawsuit in American history was brought against Wal*Mart and you don't know of any abuse there?!?

I guess Fox didn't want to carry that story.

Besides, how much leverage in a court of law does one plaintiff have, hiring his own attorney, against the legal stables a multi-national corporation has to draw from?

Once again, you show the contempt for the Working Class so prevalent among Conservatives today. Why would you not support workers? Something about their lack of wealth repulse you?

The American labor movement has been under constant attack since the late 70s. Not sure of the rationale working class conservatives have in joining in the pile-on but I suspect it is little more than blindly adopting the opinions of their leaders. On the last board I was on there was a central group of hard core conservatives who flatly asserted that Americans do not have collective bargaining rights period, do the conservatives here feel the same way? That our constitutional right of free association ends at the door of the workplace?

Really? Wanna talk to the mine workers who have been killed over the past couple of years because the mine owner REFUSED to comply with safety standards?

Thats funny because the UNION didnt save them either, now stfu

The union DID try to get the owner to keep up with safety, but he never did, and not only that, he was fined heavily by the department that oversees mining.

STFU yourself Grampa Fuck U.

tell it to Wal*Mart

I am not aware of any abuse at WalMart so I dunno what your talking about.
The largest class action lawsuit in American history was brought against Wal*Mart and you don't know of any abuse there?!?

I guess Fox didn't want to carry that story.

Besides, how much leverage in a court of law does one plaintiff have, hiring his own attorney, against the legal stables a multi-national corporation has to draw from?

Once again, you show the contempt for the Working Class so prevalent among Conservatives today. Why would you not support workers? Something about their lack of wealth repulse you?

So im showing contempt for myself? I work in the construction industry and dont need those thieves "protecting" me.

The union DID try to get the owner to keep up with safety, but he never did, and not only that, he was fined heavily by the department that oversees mining.

STFU yourself Grampa Fuck U.

So the Union failed in their ONE AND ONLY MANDATE

thanks for playing.....

The True Conservatives will:

1. Abolish the Federal Reserve
2. Stop Outsourcing to China, India and other "cheap" parasites.
3. Skyrocket the taxes for importers from the "cheap" countries who are laughing and eating American pie.
4. Cut the taxes and support the manufacturing in this country.
5. Buy American policy.
6. Cut the power of banksters.
7. Abolish of many idiotic laws or bureaucracy for business.
8. Back to the Traditional Values and Christianity.

Democrats are too dumb to make new working places, only true Conservatives can make them.

Forum List

Back