Conservation Works

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Orange_Juice, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Orange_Juice

Orange_Juice Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Even a Republican should be able to understand why gas prices are starting to fall. Americans, who use and waste more energy than anyone on the planet, started to cut back, and PRESTO! Prices fell.

Look at what Blue State California is doing:

Energy efficiency, electricity, power plants | Salon News

2. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Damn blue state weenies saving America's energy and sh*t!

3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Nah... couldn't have anything to do with anything else... just short term conservation

couldn't be that the price of crude dropped, or that speculators keep an eye on the fact that Americans want to drill more while we look for alternative fuel technologies to ACTUALLY be viable in the big picture, etc :rolleyes:

what enviro-nazi propaganda

Conserve more... I'm all for it... but it is not why gas has fallen about $0.10 in the past week

4. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Consuption dropped, lowering demand, thus a lower price.

DUH!

5. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    hmmn .... they must live in a different State of California, than I do :confused: Prices fell? When??? They sure didn't at my house! :eusa_shifty:

6. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Many on here argue that increasing the supply by drilling in Alaska and offshore would not do anything to lower the price. But according to your economic theory it should. When supply is greater than the demand, prices are low. What you are saying, is that people are not purchasing as much gas, therefore the demand has dropped, and the supply is growing. I'm not sure which to believe.

My studies in economics would teach me that drivers "cutting back" would decrease demand and increase supply (do to lack of purchases-and additions by plants). However, I also wonder why liberals would go against this same economic theory when conservatives talk about wanting to increase the supply by drilling more. It sounds like many are cherry-picking.

I'm not quite sure if American's have cut back on gas. One cut-back in consumption in one area does not generalize the entire nation. I am glad that prices are falling, however, IMO...I believe that it's simply a game to everyone involved in the oil business. They're lowering it slightly to satisfy us...not to mention, 3.68 looks fantastic compared to 4.00 a gallon. They'll continue to raise prices and then lower them to make it seem as though gas prices have fallen. I won't consider the gas prices "fallen" until they reach about .89 cents a gallon.

7. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The point is that if effeciency had not been imposed fast growing California would have seen more use, higer costs and more pollution. Conservation has kept usage flat even while economic growth has increased

8. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The theory is sound. Your numbers, or lack of, are not though. Cutting back can save massive amounts of oil that can never be replaced. Drilling will only bring so much oil to the surface to be used. We possess 3% of the world's known reserves yet use 25% of the oil. You do the math. Where is there more room for improvement, the supply or demand side?

On top of that, with China's economy growing by 10% a year there is no way the world can even think of meeting that demand without serious conservation efforts

9. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    You ignorant buffoon...

Let us see where demand has decreased one deciliter... or where total consumption has decreased even that same small amount... we'll be waiting

I think bobo has finally found a playmate of similar ilk

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238

So let me get this straight. My "lack" of numbers are not sound? That's like saying "The statement you did not state is not true." I wasn't crunching any numbers or discrediting your OP genius.

If you'd read the post...I said some liberals will claim that by increasing supply, the price will do nothing...which is a fallacy in regards to Keynesian Ecnomic Theory. They only do this, presuming, that if supply increases, demand will increase. Which is retarded, because consumers have no frickin clue what supply is, and would not therefore increase their purchasing of it based on something that is not contempated on when they decide if they'll buy gasoline or not. In the same breath, they'll say that the demand has decreased, so the price is falling. No matter which way you look at it--in the end, supply is increasing and is more than the demand. I'm not disagreeing with you, but asking why liberals or conservatives for that matter, cherry-pick information.

At the end of the day, conserving or drilling increases the supply over the demand. But, now it's ok because it fits a liberal agenda and/or talking point.