Connolly [D-VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress

Yeah, and I'm wondering how Connolly (or anyone, for that matter) would know whether someone voted or not.

Now, if that is true, I will likely change my mind. So, I'm still looking to see if Perkins has said anything about his voting, because technically, Perkins is the ONLY one who SHOULD know (or claim to know) about whether he voted or not.

I'll see if I can find anything. But I believe it is a matter of public record if you have voted or not. At least when I once upon a time worked for moveon.org, we got lists of who voted, who was merely registered, etc. Not how the vote was cast, just that it was.
Wow. I did not know that one could find out if someone voted and that it was public info.

I had no idea and have no idea where to even look.

Seriously, if that is true about Perkins, I don't take kindly to that - not voting. Would those records include absentee?

Judge expands access to Virginians' voting records | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

A Richmond judge has ruled that a state law restricting the release of information about Virginians' personal voting histories is unconstitutional.

Circuit Judge Melvin Hughes' decision last week is a victory for the Know Campaign, a nonprofit organization that sued the State Board of Elections over its refusal to give the group access to voter history lists. Those lists include voters' names, addresses and records of participation in elections over the past four years.

They don't disclose how people voted. But because they reveal voters' records of participation in elections - including party primaries - they are valuable to candidates and party organizations, which use them for targeted campaign mailings and phone calls.

Under current state law, the lists have been made available only to elected officials, candidates and party chairmen

Yeah, and I'm wondering how Connolly (or anyone, for that matter) would know whether someone voted or not.

Now, if that is true, I will likely change my mind. So, I'm still looking to see if Perkins has said anything about his voting, because technically, Perkins is the ONLY one who SHOULD know (or claim to know) about whether he voted or not.

I'll see if I can find anything. But I believe it is a matter of public record if you have voted or not. At least when I once upon a time worked for moveon.org, we got lists of who voted, who was merely registered, etc. Not how the vote was cast, just that it was.
Wow. I did not know that one could find out if someone voted and that it was public info.

Seriously, if that is true about Perkins, I don't take kindly to that - not voting. Would those records include absentee?
I don't see why not. IIRC, the information told us what political party (or lack of) the registrant was and if they had voted in recent elections or not.

I found this:
Perkins said he didn’t vote last year because he was out of town helping a friend who was running in another political race.

Indies Snubbed at Connolly, Perkins Event - PotomacLocal.com

Last edited:
Connolly [D - VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress Because Deployments Prevent Veterans from Serving Local Communities

Fairfax, VA – Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11) shocked constituents by suggesting that military Veterans are unqualified to serve in Congress because their deployments prevent them from putting “sweat equity” into the districts they hope to serve in Congress.

Congressman Connolly is running against Colonel Chris Perkins, a retired officer who served most of his more than 24 years in uniform as an Army Green Beret deployed overseas. Connolly has repeatedly suggested that Perkins’ lack of local involvement because of his military career makes him unqualified to hold federal office.

October 29, 2012 Congressman Connolly D-VA - Veterans Unqualified to Serve in Congress

What an asshole. :rolleyes:

I would have gone the other way:

"Civilians without prior military service are unequipped and thus ineligible to hold political office. They do not understand the meaning of sweat equity."

Bring back Sparta!

Judge expands access to Virginians' voting records | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

A Richmond judge has ruled that a state law restricting the release of information about Virginians' personal voting histories is unconstitutional.

Circuit Judge Melvin Hughes' decision last week is a victory for the Know Campaign, a nonprofit organization that sued the State Board of Elections over its refusal to give the group access to voter history lists. Those lists include voters' names, addresses and records of participation in elections over the past four years.

They don't disclose how people voted. But because they reveal voters' records of participation in elections - including party primaries - they are valuable to candidates and party organizations, which use them for targeted campaign mailings and phone calls.

Under current state law, the lists have been made available only to elected officials, candidates and party chairmen
Thanks!

(I sorta agree with that Judge on that.)

Ravi posted that Perkins said he didn't vote last year. Hmmmm.

Thanks!

it seems he'd be a position to know, and it's stupid to lie about something like that.....

you'd better check yourself :lol:

Thanks!

it seems he'd be a position to know, and it's stupid to lie about something like that.....

She posted a link, but it was still Connolly who made the claim. Perkins didn't say it.

Fuck 'em all, dammit. I can't find out shit.

:mad:

Thanks!

She posted a link, but it was still Connolly who made the claim. Perkins didn't say it.

:lol: Why would he say it, it makes him look like he has no civic responsibility. ;)

:lol: Why would he say it, it makes him look like he has no civic responsibility. ;)
Connolly sure says it.

Connolly [D - VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress Because Deployments Prevent Veterans from Serving Local Communities

Fairfax, VA – Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11) shocked constituents by suggesting that military Veterans are unqualified to serve in Congress because their deployments prevent them from putting “sweat equity” into the districts they hope to serve in Congress.

Congressman Connolly is running against Colonel Chris Perkins, a retired officer who served most of his more than 24 years in uniform as an Army Green Beret deployed overseas. Connolly has repeatedly suggested that Perkins’ lack of local involvement because of his military career makes him unqualified to hold federal office.

October 29, 2012 Congressman Connolly D-VA - Veterans Unqualified to Serve in Congress

What an asshole. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

He said his opponent wasn't qualified because he didn't have any local experience as he'd been away in the military for the last 24 years.

Which, when extrapolated to their logical extreme would mean that ANY servicemember deployed overseas would be 'unqualified', or does linear logic escape you once again?

He said his opponent wasn't qualified because he didn't have any local experience as he'd been away in the military for the last 24 years.

So naturally, he wouldn't think that about anyone else who was away in the military and now wanted to serve their local community, right?

dumb ass.

So naturally, he wouldn't think that about anyone else who was away in the military and now wanted to serve their local community, right?

dumb ass.

It would be kind of cool if idiots such as yourself would read the entire thread before showing us all what a fool you really are.

:thup:

Getting back to you, the Congressman is still incorrect, as his " TIME AWAY " does NOT make him " UNQUALIFIED" in "LOACAL" matters for the reasons I stated above, and the reason(s) I stated in my other posts on here. The contention that any person in the Military is not qualified in Local matters because they are simply away is nonsense, for a not only the reason I stated above but, another reason is that it assumes that those in the Military who are deployed are completely detached from where they are from in terms of local matters, politics, sports, civil matters, etc. and nothing can be further from the truth especially today, with the internet, news, and several others methods to stay in touch with with whats going on at home. So the Congressman in this case is completely wrong. Take that and the fact that most men and women who are highly trained in the skills I mentioned, the fact that the Congressmans backside has been sitting in a chair at home does not make him more qualified than the man who has been away defending it.

You're basing on your opinion on something the guy didn't even say.

He said, as I quoted above:

If Connolly is worried, he isn’t showing it. He dismisses Perkins as unqualified, based on what he calls his failure since leaving the Army to become civically engaged in the 11th District.
I too, looked further into it. Yes, the original article is inflammatory, but it's not too far off the mark. So, let's see what the horse's mouth says.

In Springfield last month, there was a meet and greet with Connolly. He STRONGLY suggests that Perkins is NOT qualified to serve in Congress because of his service in the military. While Connolly said he honors Perkins' service, he still does not believe Perkins is qualified to serve the 11th District in US Congress because his service was to the military and not the community. He claims that Perkins didn't even vote (how anyone would know that is suspicious, at best). You can listen to Connolly's meme straight from the horse's mouth.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0iun0YQSaA]Congressman Gerry Connolly,VA 11th Congressional District, at Legislative Meet and Greet Program - YouTube[/ame]

Apparently, this is the meme of Connolly's campaign - that Connolly is more qualified to serve in US Congress because Connolly was here and not deployed.

While I admit that Perkins' statements about what Connolly says - "vets are unqualified" - is not EXACTLY what Connolly says, Connolly certainly suggests it over and over: Someone serving in the US military is not as qualified to serve in US Congress as someone who is a career politician serving the country and locally.

You may find that is a reasonable meme. I do not. I find it ludicrous. I even find it insulting. And, most of all, it's plain stupid considering the demographics of the 11th District of VA - so many are military.

Who you gonna believe? Ravi, or your lying eyes & ears?:eusa_whistle:

Connolly sure says it.

:confused: So did Perkins:

Perkins said he didn’t vote last year because he was out of town helping a friend who was running in another political race.

I guess these two things are exactly the same to Ravi...

Indies Snubbed at Connolly, Perkins Event - PotomacLocal.com
Connolly also questioned the dedication of his opponent by questioning his voting record, saying Perkins did not vote in his precinct during previous elections.
plural

singular

Please see my subsequent post with exactly what he said and get back to me.

Getting back to you, the Congressman is still incorrect, as his " TIME AWAY " does NOT make him " UNQUALIFIED" in "LOACAL" matters for the reasons I stated above, and the reason(s) I stated in my other posts on here. The contention that any person in the Military is not qualified in Local matters because they are simply away is nonsense, for a not only the reason I stated above but, another reason is that it assumes that those in the Military who are deployed are completely detached from where they are from in terms of local matters, politics, sports, civil matters, etc. and nothing can be further from the truth especially today, with the internet, news, and several others methods to stay in touch with with whats going on at home. So the Congressman in this case is completely wrong. Take that and the fact that most men and women who are highly trained in the skills I mentioned, the fact that the Congressmans backside has been sitting in a chair at home does not make him more qualified than the man who has been away defending it.

You're basing on your opinion on something the guy didn't even say.

He said, as I quoted above:

If Connolly is worried, he isn’t showing it. He dismisses Perkins as unqualified, based on what he calls his failure since leaving the Army to become civically engaged in the 11th District.

Im basing my opinion on two things actually, one that a member of the Military as I pointed out has the "local credentials" in the Congressmans words and the fact that his opponent spent a lifetime earning the experience that the Congressman had no trouble during the Meet and Gree pointing out he earned as a result of his expereince in local an federal politics. Still further, the Congressman seems to think that once a member if the Military leaves the service unless they instantly start to vote , they are somehow not atuned to local matters, and have no credentials to engage in those matters. I suggest to you the opposite, how can a man suggest to know anything about the credentials about his opponent when he himself has never bothered to put on the uniform of his nation and yet touts his experience on foreign relations. The fact remains, those who call into question the qualifications of members of the service based on the fact they have not been physically there as a result of their being deployed, run the risk of being being called out on this sort of nonsense.

Forum List

Back