Connolly [D-VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress

While I do find Perkins' use of his rank in his campaigning (Colonel (Ret) Perkins for Congress) distasteful, Connelley's statements are outrageous, especially in such a military-heavy district.

how long has the colonel lived in the district?
His residence has been here since '91.

interesting choice of words.

i certainly don't think he's any less qualified to run because he's been deployed for part or most of that itme.

i also think it's dishonest of him to invoke eisenhower and washington, and to claim that the other asshat said all veterans are unqualified.

so, in the end, we have a typical american election choice.

do you want the boob or the liar? :lol:

Connolly [D - VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress Because Deployments Prevent Veterans from Serving Local Communities

Fairfax, VA – Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11) shocked constituents by suggesting that military Veterans are unqualified to serve in Congress because their deployments prevent them from putting “sweat equity” into the districts they hope to serve in Congress.

Congressman Connolly is running against Colonel Chris Perkins, a retired officer who served most of his more than 24 years in uniform as an Army Green Beret deployed overseas. Connolly has repeatedly suggested that Perkins’ lack of local involvement because of his military career makes him unqualified to hold federal office.

October 29, 2012 Congressman Connolly D-VA - Veterans Unqualified to Serve in Congress

What an asshole. :rolleyes:
Well, this guy's an idiot.

how long has the colonel lived in the district?

i certainly don't think he's any less qualified to run because he's been deployed for part or most of that itme.

i also think it's dishonest of him to invoke eisenhower and washington, and to claim that the other asshat said all veterans are unqualified.

Well, my choice of words is appropriate since the point of Connolly's rhetoric is that he has been deployed away from home so much that he is unqualified to serve as this district's US Congressman.

I'm going with the guy who said this:
“I am disappointed that Congressman Connolly believes that military men and women are ‘unqualified to serve in Congress’ of the country they gave their lives to protect and defend,” said Colonel Chris Perkins. “Connolly’s statements are outrageous and demonstrate an out-of-touch career politician that thinks that only those who climb the ladder of local politics can graduate to higher office.”

“By Congressman Connolly’s standard, many of our forefathers, including George Washington and Dwight Eisenhower, would have been ‘unqualified’ to hold office,” continued Colonel Perkins. “His statements are offensive to every service member, career first responder and their families who have sacrificed so much for the country we love.”

“Mr. Connolly asked where I was when he was building schools and laying sidewalks locally,” said Colonel Perkins. “I’ll tell you where I’ve been. I was in Iraq hunting down SCUD missiles that were targeting Israel. I was chasing down mass-murdering terrorists in Bosnia, Kosovo and Africa. And, I was at Arlington National Cemetery seventeen times paying last respect to the brave men and women that I had the privilege and honor to serve with.”​

Was undecided until I saw this. Really, was gonna flip a coin.

But, I am voting Dem for my state's senator.... :lol:

Well, my choice of words is appropriate since the point of Connolly's rhetoric is that he has been deployed away from home so much that he is unqualified to serve as this district's US Congressman.

“I am disappointed that Congressman Connolly believes that military men and women are ‘unqualified to serve in Congress’ of the country they gave their lives to protect and defend,” said Colonel Chris Perkins. “Connolly’s statements are outrageous and demonstrate an out-of-touch career politician that thinks that only those who climb the ladder of local politics can graduate to higher office.”

“By Congressman Connolly’s standard, many of our forefathers, including George Washington and Dwight Eisenhower, would have been ‘unqualified’ to hold office,” continued Colonel Perkins. “His statements are offensive to every service member, career first responder and their families who have sacrificed so much for the country we love.”

“Mr. Connolly asked where I was when he was building schools and laying sidewalks locally,” said Colonel Perkins. “I’ll tell you where I’ve been. I was in Iraq hunting down SCUD missiles that were targeting Israel. I was chasing down mass-murdering terrorists in Bosnia, Kosovo and Africa. And, I was at Arlington National Cemetery seventeen times paying last respect to the brave men and women that I had the privilege and honor to serve with.”​

so you're going with the liar over the boob.

i probably would, too.

Connolly [D - VA]: Veterans “Unqualified to Serve” in Congress Because Deployments Prevent Veterans from Serving Local Communities

Fairfax, VA – Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11) shocked constituents by suggesting that military Veterans are unqualified to serve in Congress because their deployments prevent them from putting “sweat equity” into the districts they hope to serve in Congress.

Congressman Connolly is running against Colonel Chris Perkins, a retired officer who served most of his more than 24 years in uniform as an Army Green Beret deployed overseas. Connolly has repeatedly suggested that Perkins’ lack of local involvement because of his military career makes him unqualified to hold federal office.

October 29, 2012 Congressman Connolly D-VA - Veterans Unqualified to Serve in Congress

What an asshole. :rolleyes:

The only guy dumber than Connolly up there in Northern Virginia is that other flaming fucking idiot, Jim Moran. Both of these crooks are going to be voted off the fucking island with their sea-daddy Barack Hussein.

I would suggest that the statement made by Gerry Connolly is not only unture its lacking in a basic knowledge of what someone who has served in the Military has done when it comes to "experience" . The congressman seems to suggest that all of us who have served in the Military and still further those of us who have made it a career lack business experience. Let's look at that for a moment, from everything from logistics, to management of everything from an aircraft to an aircraft carrier that contains everything from power plant management, to food services, to human resources, to aircraft maintenance, ship handling, medical services, and countless numbers of other skills needed to manage men and women it would seem that a career Military member has gained MORE than the needed skills in the so called business world to compensate for being away from their families for years on end defending this nation. Most if not all "Vets" have gained the skills needed to offset any civilian business skills and in most cases are more qualified than their civilian counterparts. The bottom liine is this, the Congressman should be thanking his opponent for his service rather than trying to use as a a means to score political points which is this case make the Congressman looks less than honorable.

so you're going with the liar over the boob.

i probably would, too.
Politics and choices .... "the lesser of two weevils".

Honestly, I don't know whether to respect those who can stomach it or just continue to have to figure out who gets less of my disdain.

Typical Democrat. Maybe if we had more leaders that have been willing to put their lives on the line for their country we wouldn't have such a screwed up country. The current administration is more than willing to risk other people's lives, as long as they don't have to risk their own. Our current President is more that willing to send people, Military and AMBASSADORS, in harms way, watch them be killed on live TV then go party in Vegas. Typical Democrat.

I would suggest that the statement made by Gerry Connolly is not only unture its lacking in a basic knowledge of what someone who has served in the Military has done when it comes to "experience" . The congressman seems to suggest that all of us who have served in the Military and still further those of us who have made it a career lack business experience. Let's look at that for a moment, from everything from logistics, to management of everything from an aircraft to an aircraft carrier that contains everything from power plant management, to food services, to human resources, to aircraft maintenance, ship handling, medical services, and countless numbers of other skills needed to manage men and women it would seem that a career Military member has gained MORE than the needed skills in the so called business world to compensate for being away from their families for years on end defending this nation. Most if not all "Vets" have gained the skills needed to offset any civilian business skills and in most cases are more qualified than their civilian counterparts. The bottom liine is this, the Congressman should be thanking his opponent for his service rather than trying to use as a a means to score political points which is this case make the Congressman looks less than honorable.

:rolleyes:

He SAID his time AWAY makes him UNQUALIFIED in LOCAL matters.

Jesus Christ on a cracker you people are unbelievable.

:rolleyes:

He SAID his time AWAY makes him UNQUALIFIED in LOCAL matters.

Jesus Christ on a cracker you people are unbelievable.
His time AWAY serving his country.

While I do find Perkins' use of his rank in his campaigning (Colonel (Ret) Perkins for Congress) distasteful, Connelley's statements are outrageous, especially in such a military-heavy district.

We've got a retired Major General from the USAF running for State Senate here in the SoCal area...he brings it up in his advertising and as his title. I admire vets running for office....but flashing it so much is a bit militaristic. May be just me....but the government and military are SUPPOSED to be separate....any overlap is not so good.

Typical Democrat. Maybe if we had more leaders that have been willing to put their lives on the line for their country we wouldn't have such a screwed up country. The current administration is more than willing to risk other people's lives, as long as they don't have to risk their own. Our current President is more that willing to send people, Military and AMBASSADORS, in harms way, watch them be killed on live TV then go party in Vegas. Typical Democrat.

Really?

typical democrat. maybe if we had more leaders that have been willing to put their lives on the line for their country we wouldn't have such a screwed up country. The current administration is more than willing to risk other people's lives, as long as they don't have to risk their own. Our current president is more that willing to send people, military and ambassadors, in harms way, watch them be killed on live tv then go party in vegas. Typical democrat.

really?

yes!

Forum List

Back