Connecting to a Network

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
So today, I bought two new computers, a MacBook Pro and a Windows HP. I haven't purchased a PC in over five years but my son wanted one for gaming. Came home, plugged in the MacBook and voila! everything worked. Was able to connect to the local network no problem on the Mac. Plugged in the HP, I couldn't connect. It found the network but when I plugged in the 26 digit password, it wouldn't take. Troubleshooting said I had to unplug the router, so I did. Went back to try to connect, but I can't find how to input the password. All it does is say I can't connect to the network.

So how do I find the dialogue box to input the password?

Open the Control Panel (from the Windows Start menu) and find the Network/Internet connections area. Haven't done this for awhile myself - but if memory serves, you should be able to find what you need there.

I use a Mac at home, but suffer through Windows at work.

Left click on your internet status bar on the lower right, when it opens right click in the connection you want to use then click properties. Check you security settings and make sure they are correct (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.) check you password in the same box to make sure it is correct. If that isn't it then you need to check the Network and Sharing Center settings and if that's not it hard connect it with the router and search for the appropriate drivers, download and install them.

This is odd because we've got two Dell laptops and no connection issues. Got the daughter a Macbook and there's no way in hell I can get it to connect to the netowork.

bleepingcomputer.com is your friend.

I kid you not.

Post the same OP in there and you will have an answer before you turn in tonight.

They've helped me so many times. Excellent people.

Forum List

Back