Connecting Generators

whitetrashmama

freedom-is-sacred
Sep 11, 2012
in the Body of Christ
Anyone know if it is complicated to connect a stand-alone generator into a household system? What are the obstacles for the average person?

Also, is it possible to connect something like a solar panel to run certain things while leaving the rest of the house on the "Grid"?

TYK (thank you kindly :eusa_angel: )

Yes, all those things are possible and not hard for any of your local electricians. Especially when connecting a generator to a household system, you can really cause some serious damage to your home and to yourself.

Ask around, a good electrician is worth paying for.

TY slack :eusa_angel:

I also wonder if these things require much alteration to the house? I rent but have a very accomodating landlord. As long as I could expect to leave the house with no problem for a grid-dependent next tenant (altho I do not plan to move at all) I could probably get carte blanch to take my place off the grid.

Would love to hear from others who have done this, or had electricians do it, with fairly old houses. (mine is maybe back to fifties)

Anyone know if it is complicated to connect a stand-alone generator into a household system? What are the obstacles for the average person?

Also, is it possible to connect something like a solar panel to run certain things while leaving the rest of the house on the "Grid"?

TYK (thank you kindly :eusa_angel: )

A cake walk for any competent electrical contractor.

You can set it up to be totally automatic,or as manual as you want. As far as the average guy,could be more complicated,there are local ,state national codes,the local power company have thier requirements,there are books and info,it all depends on your level of competence.

If you have he least bit of hesitation call a pro safety is the top priority.

This is one of my company's specialty, stand alone generation.

TY slack :eusa_angel:

I also wonder if these things require much alteration to the house? I rent but have a very accomodating landlord. As long as I could expect to leave the house with no problem for a grid-dependent next tenant (altho I do not plan to move at all) I could probably get carte blanch to take my place off the grid.

Would love to hear from others who have done this, or had electricians do it, with fairly old houses. (mine is maybe back to fifties)

Not a real lot to do to house,a manual transfer switch or an automatic one,and you need to decide if you want to be able to power all of the house or just critical circuits, furnace freezer well pump. that will decide the size of generator. solar is a bit more involved,you will need batteries inverter and controls for them.

1st step is to decide just how much you want to run then decide how much you want to interact with the system.

Well, I'm a long way off, financially, from doing this but that just gives me more time to think and explore the possibilities. I heard something mentioned on radio recently, too, about some kind of cranked system that is supposed to be powerful. If so, then that is also an idea. I have seen pictures of bicycle-run generators in 3rd world countries and it always amuses me that they are considered "3rd wolrd" while we who-are-so-far-more-advanced will pay a monthly gym fee to ride a stationary bike, *LOL*

I already have a reputation as eccentric for using my solar-wind-powered clothes dryerthat is strung from my back porch to a tree branch. :D

Well, I'm a long way off, financially, from doing this but that just gives me more time to think and explore the possibilities. I heard something mentioned on radio recently, too, about some kind of cranked system that is supposed to be powerful. If so, then that is also an idea. I have seen pictures of bicycle-run generators in 3rd world countries and it always amuses me that they are considered "3rd wolrd" while we who-are-so-far-more-advanced will pay a monthly gym fee to ride a stationary bike, *LOL*

I already have a reputation as eccentric for using my solar-wind-powered clothes dryerthat is strung from my back porch to a tree branch. :D

It really up to you,what ever your imagination,and wallet will let you.

We also have one of those third world cloth dryers LOL works great. As far as those crank generators,you can charge your cell phone or a radio very low power,the average person working their butt off can make about 1/2 HP and not for long,it takes alot of power to run your refrigerator in comparison,the old saying if it sounds to good to be true,most likly isn't.

Well, if I could harness a crank generator to my hyperactive terrier-chihuahua mix, "Pepito", I could power up the neighborhood! *LOL*

anyway, I got a little further in my thinking on this, and will have to do some googling to see if it is already out there: one of these solar panels or wind generators hooked up to a plug-in panel so that you don't have to rewire your house, you just plug an expension coard directly into the generator. What about this idea?

Forum List

Back