Connecticut abolishes the death penalty

Conservatives struggle to name one thing any government does well. They are beyond skepticism but true believers in the incompetence of government.

Except when it comes time to throw the switch on someone. Then, and only then do Conservatives believe that the state is infallible. In spite of case loads showing biased prosecutors, DNA evidence, evidence never disclosed to defense attorneys, judges fast asleep during oral arguments and on and on.

True, conservatives are consistent at being inconsistent.

Otherwise, the death penalty isn’t going away anytime soon, particularly in the South, despite evidence indicating it serves as no deterrent.

California spends $185,000,0000. a year to keep the death penalty. Is it worth it?

Versus the cost of life sentence...?

California spends out the ass on anything and everything.

Put to death the givers of death.

The cost for a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration is $11.5 million per year vs the conservative 2008 projection of $137 million per year. The 185 mil is a current figure being published since the 'End Death Penalty' measure will likely be on the November ballot.

Death Penalty*:*The High Cost of the Death Penalty

End death penalty measure likely to be on November ballot - San Jose Mercury News

I have mixed feelings about this because it's not an easy question.

I think that some crimes are so henious that simply locking a Charles Manson or Richard Speck away for the rest of their lives isn't really much of a punishment. they are in their element. Speck made a tape before he died where he was smoking dope, having sex with his cellmate and saying if people knew how much fun he was having in prison, they'd let him out. (He also admitted that he really killed those 8 nurses because "they were there". )

But the counterpoint is that you can spend millions of dollars to do quality control, and still get dangerously close to executing a guy who didn't do what he was accused of. (Although, usually, they aren't model citizens, and probably did something.)

My only problem with the death penalty is the reasonable doubt standard.

There have been innocent people put to death because the system is not perfect.

Personally i would want a" beyond a shadow of a doubt" standard for the death penalty. Barring that life without the possibility of parole is good enough.

Personally i would want a" beyond a shadow of a doubt" standard for the death penalty. Barring that life without the possibility of parole is good enough.

But isn't any punishment for crimes you didn't commit unjust and immoral?

Ironically, the reason why so many have been exonerated from DR is because their cases were reviewed with a fine tooth comb.

Which makes you wonder how many people are in prison because they had inept lawyers, corrupt investigators or lazy jurors.

Ironically, the reason why so many have been exonerated from DR is because their cases were reviewed with a fine tooth comb.

Which makes you wonder how many people are in prison because they had inept lawyers, corrupt investigators or lazy jurors.

Death is irreversible.

Wrongful imprisonment is not

Death is irreversible.

Wrongful imprisonment is not

I agree, which is why we should have reviews of both.

But that said, I have to wonder about why we have such a flawed system that produces such a high rate of wrongful conviction to start with.

Part of the problem is that we have a criminal justice system that has become a profit making business. We lock up more people than any country in the world- even Red China, a communist dicatorship with a billion people.

Another part of the problem is that although we have garunteed representation for criminals, more often than not, it's inadequate compared to what the prosecution has.

Which means you have a lot of innocent guys who get pled down to lesser sentences, because their lawyers were too overloaded or inept to do their jobs.

Forum List

Back