Conn mayor's 'tacos' comment in Latino profiling/bullying by police case draw outrage

So what, the Latinos were offended because they don't like being lumped in with Mexicans? :confused:
Mexicans were i am at dont like being lumped in with other types of Latinos.....and the American born ones dont like even being lumped in with their Mexican bred brethren....

What?

No comment on the thread subject? Just more hyperbole?

Maturo is Hispanic - brite boi.

No, he's not.

He's Italian.

Lost in all this is the real story here...

the arrests of four East Haven police officers by FBI agents Tuesday for their alleged roles in abusing Latino residents and business owners, performing illegal searches, making false arrests and harassing immigrant rights advocates.

Connecticut mayor apologizes for 'taco' comment - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The mayor of East Haven, Connecticut, apologized Wednesday for saying he would help Latinos in his town by eating tacos, a remark that sparked anger from state officials and immigrant advocates already fuming over allegations of police mistreatment of Latinos in his city.

"My sincerest apologies go out to the East Haven community and, in particular, the Latino community for the insensitive and off-color comment that I made to WPIX reporter Mario Diaz yesterday regarding the recent events affecting our community and our police department," Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. said in a statement. "Unfortunately, I let the stress of the situation get the best of me and inflamed what is already a serious and unfortunate situation."

He was referring to the arrests of four East Haven police officers by FBI agents Tuesday for their alleged roles in abusing Latino residents and business owners, performing illegal searches, making false arrests and harassing immigrant rights advocates.

The arrests are the first to stem from a federal investigation into racial profiling in the city and follow a scathing December report from the U.S. Justice Department that accused the town's police of engaging in "discriminatory policing against Latinos."

In the interview later Tuesday, Diaz pointed out that there were no Latino officers on the police force.

"And your point being?" Maturo responded.

When asked then what he planned to do for the Latino community in light of the discrimination allegations, the mayor said, "I might have tacos when I go home, I'm not quite sure yet."

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy on Wednesday slammed Maturo's comment as "repugnant" and "unacceptable."

Malloy said the remarks "represent either a horrible lack of judgment or worse, an underlying insensitivity to our Latino community that is unacceptable."

"He owes an apology to the community, and more importantly, he needs to show what he's going to do to repair the damage he's done," the governor said. "And he needs to do it today."

Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra added Wednesday that he was "disgusted by Mayor Maturo's comment."

He said Maturo's words suggested that the accusations of discrimination were "dismissed and disregarded."

"Many have worked diligently to correct the painful history of racism in this country, and Mayor Maturo's comments are a disappointing example of how far we still have to go to," said Segarra.

Maturo on Tuesday called the arrests of the officers "unfortunate" and said his office "stands behind the East Haven Police Department."

Following his apology a day later, Maturo then asked the public to consider the difficulties the arrested officers and their families must be going through in the wake of the scandal.

"It's really a devastation to them," he told CNN. "It's my apology to the communities out there; whether they're Latino or not is secondary to what our town is suffering and going through at this particular time."

Maturo made no mention of any of the alleged Latino victims in the case...

To think that there are individuals on this forum that want to strangle the next person who accuses the GOP of racism. The mayor is a Republican

U.S. News - Conn. mayor's 'tacos' comment in Latino profiling case draws outrage

The mayor of East Haven, Conn., came under a torrent of criticism Wednesday for telling a TV reporter “I might have tacos” when asked about how he would support the Latino community in the aftermath of the arrest of four town police officers accused of racially profiling and bullying Latino residents.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy called Mayor Joseph Maturo's comments "repugnant" and "unacceptable." An attorney for some Latinos suing the town police department called the comments “appalling.” Some residents said the mayor should step down...

Maturo did not return a telephone call from msnbc.com for additional comment.

Funny, I don't find it offensive racist.

New Topics

Forum List

Back