Congressmen Move to Overturn 'Merry Christmas' Ban...

It is a ban dummy....

Not only is it a ban it is absolute censorship by our government...

Apparently you have no idea what a ban is...

Can my Congresswoman send out Christmas cards that specifically say "Merry Christmas" ?

Yes.

It's not a ban.

Yes it is a ban because previously it was permissible to extend holiday wishes on government letterheads - NOW ITS NOT...

It's a ban dummy...

Untrue. It can be on government letterhead. The postage just can't be paid by taxpayers.

Apparently you don't either.

Really?

So congressmen can send holiday greetings to their constituents in official government mail like they could previously???

Yes or No????

It's a ban you fucking ape...

If you had the freedom to do something previously and not presently its a ban - do you not understand that or do you just rationalize it differently because your boy is in office???

They can still send them out.

They can't make me pay for it anymore. :thup:

You don't pay much attention around here, do you?

You're obviously a fucking idiot...

I'm only going to explain this one more time to your hollow little brain.

"ban" means restricting a previous liberty...

Now last year congresscritters had the LIBERTY of sending holiday wishes on their official letterheads, now they do not because progressives are tyrannical assholes...

It's not difficult to understand...

Ban - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Really?

So congressmen can send holiday greetings to their constituents in official government mail like they could previously???

Yes or No????

It's a ban you fucking ape...

If you had the freedom to do something previously and not presently its a ban - do you not understand that or do you just rationalize it differently because your boy is in office???

Now last year congresscritters had the LIBERTY of sending holiday wishes on their official letterheads, now they do not because progressives are tyrannical assholes...

They just can't make me pay for it anymore.:thup:

Nothing that you have said counters this point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfZUX5svCg]Fuck Christmas - Eric Idle (+lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]​

Except that you have ignored the fact that taxpayer dollars pay for the letterhead on which you say the Congress-critters remain free to write "Merry Christmas."

Can my Congresswoman send out Christmas cards that specifically say "Merry Christmas" ?

Yes.

It's not a ban.

Yes it is a ban because previously it was permissible to extend holiday wishes on government letterheads - NOW ITS NOT...

It's a ban dummy...

Untrue. It can be on government letterhead. The postage just can't be paid by taxpayers.

It's a ban any which way you twist it...........

Banning light bulbs and 'Merry Christmas' greetings? I don't know a single person who sent their representatives to Washington to ban lightbulbs and 'Merry Christmas' greetings. So what's going on with our Government?

They're both cost cutting measures. I'm totally amazed that a fiscal conservative doesn't see that! Just another reason I won't give $.02 for some people's "pronciples". It appears they're only in place so CONS don't have to think. :cool:

Think how much we could save by taking Christmas off the federal holiday list. Why should we pay federal workers for a holiday it's illegal to observe? We need to keep all the atheists happy don't we. Never mind offending a Christian.

I'm a Christian (Roman Catholic), and not using tax payer money for my rep to send me a Merry Christmas mailing doesn't bother me a bit.

Except that you have ignored the fact that taxpayer dollars pay for the letterhead on which you say the Congress-critters remain free to write "Merry Christmas."

Unrelated to this ruling. So not much anyone can do about it. Also, getting into what words are or are not allowed on letterhead is way too sticky.

I'm happy with not forcing the taxpayers to pay for thinly disguised campaign mailings from congress-critters.

It is a ban dummy....

Not only is it a ban it is absolute censorship by our government...

Apparently you have no idea what a ban is...

Yes.

It's not a ban.

It's a ban dummy...

It is still permitted. It simply cannot be paid for with tax dollars, or 'franked'.

They're both cost cutting measures. I'm totally amazed that a fiscal conservative doesn't see that! Just another reason I won't give $.02 for some people's "pronciples". It appears they're only in place so CONS don't have to think. :cool:

Think how much we could save by taking Christmas off the federal holiday list. Why should we pay federal workers for a holiday it's illegal to observe? We need to keep all the atheists happy don't we. Never mind offending a Christian.

I'm a Christian (Roman Catholic), and not using tax payer money for my rep to send me a Merry Christmas mailing doesn't bother me a bit.

Then it won't bother you a bit to defund all Christmas related federal spending then will it? If federal employees want that day off they should take it without pay. Or they can work,, they're choice. but don't make me pay for an atheist having Christmas day off.

It's a ban dummy...

It's a ban any which way you twist it...........

So you believe Congress can write anything they want on letterhead, send it to anyone they please and we taxpayers MUST pay for it.

Wow. Talk about big government!

Unrelated to this ruling. So not much anyone can do about it. Also, getting into what words are or are not allowed on letterhead is way too sticky.

I'm happy with not forcing the taxpayers to pay for thinly disguised campaign mailings from congress-critters.

No. It's not unrelated to this ruling. The ruling says that the franking privilege has to forbid the insertion of the "Merry Christmas" wish in franked mailings. The rationale for that idiotic determination is that it would constitute some imaginary violation of the First Amendment Freedom of Religion establishment clause.

In other words, TAX dollars cannot be used for fear of some Constitutional disruption in the Force.

But it is still the use of tax dollars to print the letterhead stock used by Congress-critters and to dutifully print out thousands of copies of each mailing. So, if the phrase is used anywhere in the letters, the same idiotic rationale would be expected to prohibit it.

The issue of whether tax dollars should be allowed to be used to disseminate re-election propaganda is a separate and distinct (thorny) issue.

But the issue of whether insertion of ANY religious or holiday sentiment somehow violates the First Amendment prohibition is an entirely different matter.

The claim that saying "Merry Christmas" in the sign-off of those letters somehow risks the establishment of a religion or somehow risks the prohibition of the free exercise of anybody's religion is farcical on its face.

Yes.

It's not a ban.

It's a ban dummy...

It is still permitted. It simply cannot be paid for with tax dollars, or 'franked'.

It's a ban and a highly bigoted one to say the least considering the USPS is a government funded agency...

It's also fucking stupid considering that in order to enforce the ban one would have to read every piece of mail that goes out..

Why do so many Americans support Big Government banning so much? That always amazes me. I'm beginning to get the feeling most Americans really do fear Freedom & Liberty now. It's like they need that Big Government to control their lives now. But i guess that's what the Big Government plan was all along. So many are so dependent on Big Government making decisions for them. It's very sad.

Ask big government why they declared a totally unnecessary war and told a thousand lies to do it and then caused the death of over 4400 young Americans and ran up a trillion dollar debt. You people squawk about the wrong things.

No. It's not unrelated to this ruling. The ruling says that the franking privilege has to forbid the insertion of the "Merry Christmas" wish in franked mailings. The rationale for that idiotic determination is that it would constitute some imaginary violation of the First Amendment Freedom of Religion establishment clause.

In other words, TAX dollars cannot be used for fear of some Constitutional disruption in the Force.

But it is still the use of tax dollars to print the letterhead stock used by Congress-critters and to dutifully print out thousands of copies of each mailing. So, if the phrase is used anywhere in the letters, the same idiotic rationale would be expected to prohibit it.

The issue of whether tax dollars should be allowed to be used to disseminate re-election propaganda is a separate and distinct (thorny) issue.

But the issue of whether insertion of ANY religious or holiday sentiment somehow violates the First Amendment prohibition is an entirely different matter.

The claim that saying "Merry Christmas" in the sign-off of those letters somehow risks the establishment of a religion or somehow risks the prohibition of the free exercise of anybody's religion is farcical on its face.

It's unrelated because the franking office can't forbid things from being written on any letterhead. They can just refuse to mail them. Hence, outside the scope of this decision.

Why do so many Americans support Big Government banning so much? That always amazes me. I'm beginning to get the feeling most Americans really do fear Freedom & Liberty now. It's like they need that Big Government to control their lives now. But i guess that's what the Big Government plan was all along. So many are so dependent on Big Government making decisions for them. It's very sad.

Ask big government why they declared a totally unnecessary war and told a thousand lies to do it and then caused the death of over 4400 young Americans and ran up a trillion dollar debt. You people squawk about the wrong things.

Your PREMISE is stupid. The war was only "totally unnecessary" in your vapid opinion.

You are mistaken. In fact, you're just a dick.

And there is a difference between being wrong (if indeed they were wrong, for example, about Saddam HAVING WMD) and lying.

Wars do cause death. The loss of ANY of our military is tragic. You use it as a debate tactic. You are slime.

And don't worry about running up a trillion dollar debt. Asswipes like you don't complain about that kind of behavior EXCEPT when (for partisan political purposes of your hyperbole) you object to the particular cause for such spending.

Assholes like you ALWAYS squawk about the wrong things.

Hey, speaking of which. Hurry. You're overdue. Start another important and meaningful thread about your personal dislike of religion. Get on it, you slacker.

It's unrelated because the franking office can't forbid things from being written on any letterhead. They can just refuse to mail them. Hence, outside the scope of this decision.

They either don't care or don't understand. I honestly can't tell the difference any more.

Don't need to ask. I already know why. Military Industrial Complex. Doesn't matter which Party is in power. The Military Industrial Complex calls the shots.

Forum List

Back