Congressmen Move to Overturn 'Merry Christmas' Ban...

Last time I checked politicians were US citizens, hence the Bill of Rights applies to them as well..

They have the same civil liberties as any one of us...

I don't know who the fuck the government thinks they are telling individuals they cant write "Merry Christmas."

Quite frankly that defies the First Amendment not once but twice. Not only does it violate freedom of speech - it violates freedom of religion to boot..

Spoken like someone who didn't read the article.

Paulitician is lying to you when he says this is a ban. It isn't. Every member of Congress is perfectly free to send out any card at the holidays and the cards can say anything on them. The only thing is, if the cards send a specific wish for a specific holiday, they won't be reimbursed for postage with tax payer money.

In other words, this cuts spending and saves tax payer money and Paulitician is against it. Go figure.

I take this to mean you would support a ban on federal employees getting a paid day off for Christmas.. Yes?

What is it with this banning stuff coming from Government? Seems like they're always in such a rush to ban everything. Banning 'Merry Christmas' in greetings? Come on Big Government. You can do better than that. Good to see some in Government trying to reverse this trend.

Rep. Joe Walsh, an Illinois Republican, and Rep. Mike Ross, an Arkansas Democrat, are trying to overturn a rule that forbids the use of “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Hanukkah” in taxpayer-funded congressional correspondence.

Congressional rules state that mail containing holiday greetings cannot be “franked” — Hill lingo for receiving taxpayer reimbursement for postage — according to a memo from the “Franking Commission Staff” obtained by The Washington Examiner.

Members may “make reference to the season as a whole using language along the lines of ‘Have a safe and happy holiday season” but only if it is “incidental to the piece rather than the primary purpose of the communication,” the memo said.

In response to the memo, Walsh and Ross circulated a letter Monday encouraging both Republican and Democratic members to demand the rule be rescinded.

“We are not celebrating winter this December,” the letter reads in part. “We are celebrating significant moments in two religions that have fundamentally shaped our nation — and as Members of Congress who represent thousands of constituents celebrating these holidays, we ask you to reconsider these outdated and restrictive rules.”

Read more: Merry Christmas Ban | House of Representatives | Joe Walsh | The Daily Caller

As usual democrats are authoritarian assholes..

Who the fuck do they think they are attempting to dictate anothers words????

If a congresscritter really wants to say "Merry Christmas" who the fuck cares?? this is supposed to be a free country allegedly... Besides, wouldn't preventing a US citizen from saying Merry Christmas be a blatant First Amendment violation???

I'm sure if some black congressmen said "happy Kwanza" that would be perfectly fine tho...

Progressives are such bigoted tyrants....

The very sort the Founders warned us of...

Then why do we have to pay for federal workers to take Christmas day off?

Because that was a contractual benefit that was negotiated between the employer (the fed) and their employees.

And as far as I know Christmas cards aren't very productive workers. I don't mind taxpayer dollars used to actually pay people who do a job. And with that comes normal benefits that many similar non-fed jobs carry as well. Like paid holidays.

Nope.. not good enough. If the congress can't put Merry Christmas on a christmas card because it is federally funded then we by no means should pay a single solitary federal worker to take Christmas off. Take if off the federally recognized holiday list and make the athiest happy. Any federal worker taking Christmas day off should do so without the use of a single taxpayer dime.

I see you like to compare apples to oranges.

Have fun tilting at windmills and strawmen.

Last time I checked politicians were US citizens, hence the Bill of Rights applies to them as well..

I don't know who the fuck the government thinks they are telling individuals they cant write "Merry Christmas."

Quite frankly that defies the First Amendment not once but twice. Not only does it violate freedom of speech - it violates freedom of religion to boot..

No one is banning them from writing.

They just can't make me pay for sending it after they write it.

No constitutional violation.

and they should ban any taxpayer money funding a federal working taking christmas day off.

Contracting for days off isn't unconstitutional.

No matter how much you wish it to be :thup:

Why can't congress put Merry Christmas on their Christmas cards?

They can.

They just can't make me pay for it :thup:

In what universe do you live???

Give me one reason why they cant???

What, your mythical "wall of separation" which is NOT EVEN IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS??

Who the fuck do you think you are telling another what they can and cannot think or write???

Meanwhile your fucking Jesus Obama is using 4 million dollars of your taxpayer money to go and jerkoff in Hawaii and you're bitching about pens and paper...

What a class act you are...

You do realize that you make no sense, right?

They can still send out Christmas cards. They just can't make me pay for them.

If you wish to continue with your strawman, have at it.

No one is banning them from writing.

They just can't make me pay for sending it after they write it.

No constitutional violation.

and they should ban any taxpayer money funding a federal working taking christmas day off.

no federal dollars spent on Christmas. Write it out of the next contract and save money. You will agree to save the money yes? Contracts can't protect you.

Paulitician is lying to you when he says this is a ban. It isn't. Every member of Congress is perfectly free to send out any card at the holidays and the cards can say anything on them. The only thing is, if the cards send a specific wish for a specific holiday, they won't be reimbursed for postage with tax payer money.

In other words, this cuts spending and saves tax payer money and Paulitician is against it. Go figure.

I take this to mean you would support a ban on federal employees getting a paid day off for Christmas.. Yes?

You're an idiot. This has already been addressed. Workers are free to negotiate for days off. Even Government workers, who I know you hate.

no federal dollars spent on Christmas. Write it out of the next contract and save money. You will agree to save the money yes? Contracts can't protect you.

If you can get the employees to agree to it, no problem.

But it has next to nothing to do with the point of the Christmas card thing.

Because that was a contractual benefit that was negotiated between the employer (the fed) and their employees.

And as far as I know Christmas cards aren't very productive workers. I don't mind taxpayer dollars used to actually pay people who do a job. And with that comes normal benefits that many similar non-fed jobs carry as well. Like paid holidays.

Nope.. not good enough. If the congress can't put Merry Christmas on a christmas card because it is federally funded then we by no means should pay a single solitary federal worker to take Christmas off. Take if off the federally recognized holiday list and make the athiest happy. Any federal worker taking Christmas day off should do so without the use of a single taxpayer dime.

federal spending is all about apples, there are no oranges. Take christmas off the federally funded holiday list.

It has everything to do with it. I don't want my taxpayer money spent on giving some atheist Christmas day off.

It is a ban dummy....

Not only is it a ban it is absolute censorship by our government...

Apparently you have no idea what a ban is...

federal spending is all about apples, there are no oranges. Take christmas off the federally funded holiday list.

So you wish to break contractual agreements for a stupid and unrelated tit-for-tat.

Unsurprising.

It has everything to do with it. I don't want my taxpayer money spent on giving some atheist Christmas day off.

Get the employees to agree to a contract revision.

Lemme know how far you get :thup:

It is a ban dummy....

Apparently you don't either.

The most ironic part of all of this is the fact our federal government buys a Christmas tree er OOPS I mean a "Holiday Tree" every year with taxpayer dollars...

Id like to hear all the conservatives who complain about who Union bosses support with other members dues who might not agree explain why using our money to print Merry Christmas is different.

Dipshit: the money used to print and mail the letters that would go out ANYWAY is the same money.

If you are TRULY worried about the massive amount of ink required for the two additional words, "Merry Christmas," in a sign-off to those letters, then you are far too petty and stupid to discuss this topic.

It is a ban dummy....

Really?

So congressmen can send holiday greetings to their constituents in official government mail like they could previously???

Yes or No????

It's a ban you fucking ape...

If you had the freedom to do something previously and not presently its a ban - do you not understand that or do you just rationalize it differently because your boy is in office???

It is a ban dummy....

Really?

So congressmen can send holiday greetings to their constituents in official government mail like they could previously???

Yes or No????

It's a ban you fucking ape...

If you had the freedom to do something previously and not presently its a ban - do you not understand that or do you just rationalize it differently because your boy is in office???

They can still send them out.

They can't make me pay for it anymore. :thup:

You don't pay much attention around here, do you?

It is a ban dummy....

Can my Congresswoman send out Christmas cards that specifically say "Merry Christmas" ?

Yes.

It's not a ban.

Yes it is a ban because previously it was permissible to extend holiday wishes on government letterheads - NOW ITS NOT...

It's a ban dummy...

Forum List

Back