Congressman who get it

Taxing the wealthy AND/OR decreasing benefits only kicks the can down the road.

"Compromise" just means both Parties helping each other to f*ck us all.

Taxing the wealthy AND/OR decreasing benefits only kicks the can down the road.

"Compromise" just means both Parties helping each other to f*ck us all.

Having eliminated increasing revenue and cutting spending your solution is........?

Actually -- the MadScientist didn't mention cutting spending. He mentioned "decreasing benefits" appropriately as not being a solution to the overall problem..

The overall problem is INARGUABLY the massive spending. Particularly SUBSIDIES for crap that already exists on the market. Without SERIOUS work on both sides about identifying SPENDING CUTS --- there's no use arguing about the "bush tax cuts", the "cliff" or "entitlements". It's austerity time --- we just don't know it yet..

These Congressmen should be congratulated. They are correct in the only solution to this is that the Republicans give on taxing the wealthy and the Democrats give on entitlement reform. Without both we will go the way of Greece. Too bad none of these people are in the leadership on either side.

Specifically, what do you hope to gain by raising tax rates on the wealthy?

Do you think this will result in more tax revenue to the government?
Do you think this will help the unemployment rate?
Do you think capital markets will invest more in expansions and start ups?
Do you think sales of large tickets items will increase?

I suspect raising tax rates will result in less revenue (as it did recently in France, the UK and California). I suspect raising taxes will deter business expansion, meaning fewer jobs will be created and unemployment will increase. Capital will tighten even further than today and sales of luxury items will drop...as will the jobs of those that build yachts, planes, and other large ticket items.

None of this is good for the non-wealthy. So I ask again, what do you hope to gain by raising tax rates?

These Congressmen should be congratulated. They are correct in the only solution to this is that the Republicans give on taxing the wealthy and the Democrats give on entitlement reform. Without both we will go the way of Greece. Too bad none of these people are in the leadership on either side.

Specifically, what do you hope to gain by raising tax rates on the wealthy?

Do you think this will result in more tax revenue to the government?
Do you think this will help the unemployment rate?
Do you think capital markets will invest more in expansions and start ups?
Do you think sales of large tickets items will increase?

I suspect raising tax rates will result in less revenue (as it did recently in France, the UK and California). I suspect raising taxes will deter business expansion, meaning fewer jobs will be created and unemployment will increase. Capital will tighten even further than today and sales of luxury items will drop...as will the jobs of those that build yachts, planes, and other large ticket items.

None of this is good for the non-wealthy. So I ask again, what do you hope to gain by raising tax rates?

Clearly you don't understand the Dear Leader's plan.. It has NOTHING to do with revenues or budget --- it's all about fairness. He spoketh that exactly in 2008.

The public expectation of the begging crowd is however that fairness means redistribution to the needy. You wanna to disappoint the needy --- do ya?? :badgrin:

It ALL has to be on the table imho. There is no question that we are going to need more revenue and there is no question that we are going to need spending cuts and entitlement reform.

Although some hate to admit it, we've all benefit from the artificially inflated economy that deficit spending has produced and we are all going to have to pay the price.

Reminds me of an old song by Jackson Browne:

"Can you see those dark clouds gathering up ahead. They're gonna wash this planet clean just like the Bible said. Now you can hold on steady and try to be ready but everybodys gonna get wet."

Forum List

Back