Congressional Reform Act of 2010

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI

This is what we MUST DEMAND from our Congress. They are OUT OF CONTROL, and need to be REINED IN! They no longer serve the people. They serve themselves. We MUST DEMAND CHANGE!

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.
A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress looses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/2011.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

Feel free to add to the list, and join in the fight to see it through.

Last edited:
They don't vote to raise their pay now. Their pay automatically goes up every year unless they pass legislation blocking it.

I personally like this idea for Congressional pay.

[youtube]zbYjOSb0tIw[/youtube]

They don't vote to raise their pay now. Their pay automatically goes up every year unless they pass legislation blocking it.

It's painfully obvious to all that something needs to be done. The foxes have been guarding the hen house for far too long. They work for US, and it's time for US to let them know it.

Unfortunately term limits would require a constitutional amendment. And that aint happening.
Overturn McCain Feingold and allow free speech in elections. Give the challenger a fighting chance.

Unfortunately term limits would require a constitutional amendment. And that aint happening.
Overturn McCain Feingold and allow free speech in elections. Give the challenger a fighting chance.

I don't see much of any of it happening, without force.

I'm just saying that without some big changes, this country will fail. At this point, it's practically inevitable. Maybe then the people will wake up and take the country back. One can only hope.

Worse idea ever.

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

Therefore giving special interests even more control.

6. Congress looses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

I fully support that, though I point out those pimping that idea are fundamentally dishonest about it.

They already do.

And by free speech, he really means the best democracy money can buy.

This is what we MUST DEMAND from our Congress. They are OUT OF CONTROL, and need to be REINED IN! They no longer serve the people. They serve themselves. We MUST DEMAND CHANGE!

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/2011.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

Feel free to add to the list, and join in the fight to see it through.

I like your list, PR... ALL good ideas.

Make paid lobbying of any elected official a capital offense against The People an addition to your list and I think you have the basis for some quality political reform.

The good news on number 3 is that as of 1984, all newly hired federal employees ARE on Social Security... The bad news is that those hired before 1984 are still on Civil Service so it is up to We, The Voters to get rid of the ancient deadwood still haunting The Hill. Good news again - as soon as we replace them, our fearless leaders will have a vested, personal interest in fixing that particular program.

[youtube]zbYjOSb0tIw[/youtube]

Good idea on paper, but without SERIOUS reform of the current lobby system, it's just a political ploy.

You guys realize that cutting Congressional pay will only further entrench the special interests, right?

I say let's all meet at the Lincoln Monument next Friday and we'll just drive over to the Congressional playground and kick their asses. Then we can start our own damned Congress. I recommend we use the Constitution as a go by.

I like what you have to say and would like to subscribe to your news letter, OP. LOL

That said... please add to the mix:

All congressional districts must be redrawn with the following:
1. The shortest contiguous perimeter
2. The smallest single volume

in which to satisfy their constitutional mandates.

This will be done in exemption from the Voters Rights Act, or require the immediate repeal of this act.

Lifetime Limit in Government Service (Elected and Bureaucratic)

Beginning on 1/1/12, no elected officials with more than 30 years in office at any elected position, including state, county and municipal government terms; may run for any federal office.

Nor may they hold an appointed position or work in the federal government bureaucracy.

All current bureaucrats as of 1/1/12 in the federal government now are required to retire after they have achieved 30 years of total service in any grade, with the exception of the following services:

Law Enforcement (non-administrative)
Military (active and reserve enlisted or a grade lower than O4)
Fire and Rescue (non-administrative)
Education (non-administrative)

All elected officials will be bound by an anti-corruption restriction prohibiting them from working in fields associated with government contractors, lobbyists or media for 6 years following their end of service.

Federal Pay Reduction

All federal pay will be capped at the 33% marker of an equivalent position in the private sector. With benefits, this may be allowed to rise as high as the 51% marker of the private sector pay scale for the equivalent position. Raises are determined at the federal biannual elections on an open referendum. If no approximate equivalent position can be found, the closest equivalent must be used with a 5% raise.

<><><>

There... that'll explode some heads.

Forum List

Back